Kalyway 10.5.2 on an Acer Aspire 9300

Tommygun416

2 posts in this topic

This tutorial is based on the original tutorial by SwissArmySpoon (Link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144447).

--Helpful Items (Things with an asterisk are Mandatory)---

* Patched OS X DVD (Of Course). I used Kalyway 10.5.2.

* Kexts/Drivers for OS X (Although I will post some of these at the end of the tutorial).

- Windows DVD (If you ae planning to Dual Boot with Windows and haven't installed it already).

- Some sort of Partition Editor if you want to dual boot and want to use Partitions rather than Seperate Disks. I used GParted. Google 'gparted' and it is the first result.

Here are the Specs of the Machine I was working with:

System Manufacturer and Model: Acer Aspire 9304wsmi

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 @ 1.8 GHz with 800 MHz FSB and 1MB L2 Cache.

Motherboard and Chipset: Acer Myallm Motherboard with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 Chipset (NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP).

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300.

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio.

Memory: 4GB DDR2.

Network: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (LAN) and Broadcom 802.11g Networking Controller (WLAN).

Step 1: Preperation and Windows Install

If you have got Windows installed already, then just do the Partitioning bit, not the Windows Install bit. I will tell you when to skip to Step 2.

First, Insert the CD for the Partitioner. If you are using GParted, then follow these instructions exactly. If you are using something else, then follow the guidelines, but use the appropriate procedures for your Partitioner.

1. When you have booted the GParted CD, it will ask you to select how you want to boot up. I suggest you use 'To RAM', as you will be able to remove the CD after the environment had started. Also, it will run at full speed instead of CD speed. If you have problems with this mode, then select 'Default Settings'.

When you have selected your option, the screen should fill up with a load of text, don't worry, this doesn't take too long. When it asks, choose your keyboard type, Layout, and then select 'Standard' (Unless you are using a Mac keyboard). Then, type the number that corresponds to your language from the list, and strike the Enter key. Then, you will probably want to select 0 and strike the Enter key.

Then, the GUI should show up. Allocate as much space as you want to both Windows and Mac OS. I put Windows on Partition 1, and Mac OS on Partition 2. You may also make a third Partition for any files that you might want to share between the 2 OSes. Then close GParted, and double-click the 'Exit' button in the corner, and select Reboot, and click OK.

--

If you have Windows installed already, you may now skip to step 2.

--

When you Install Windows, make sure you install it on the first partition, this will help aviod mistakes later. I won't go through how to Install Windows, hopefully you know this already.

Step 2: Mac OS X Install

When Windows is installed, insert the Mac OS X DVD into your DVD Drive, then restart your computer. When it restarts, hit F2 to go into the BIOS. Turn F12 boot menu on, then hit F10 to save and exit. When the computer restarts again, Tap F10 to get a boot menu, select 'IDE CD ROM' and hit enter (If you set to boot from CD in BIOS, you get a boot.plist error at boot). When the Darwin Prompt comes up, Hit F8 to enter boot flags and enter 'maxmem=2048 -v' and then strike Enter.

There should now be lots of text scrolling down your screen. wait for a couple of minutes, and you should see the Mac OS X Install page come up. Then, Install Mac OS X as you normally would, making sure you format the Mac Partition in Disk Utility. When the Installer asks you to finalize your install, click 'Customize'. If it says 'Installing Mac OS X on XX', then you have gone too far, reboot and follow step 2 again.

This is what I selected in the customize screen:

Kernels: - Kernel 9.2 Speedstep + Kernel 922 Modin

Graphics: - Natit NVIDIA

Audio: - NVIDIA AC97 Audio

Network: Wireless Drivers -> Wi-Fi IO 802.11 Family

- Wi-Fi-Broadcom

Mobo Chipsets: - All Mobo Chipsets

Apps: - Any that you want!

Patches: - Hard-coded SMBIOS -> Lastnetkassmbios

- PC_GenUSB_Fix

- Time Machine Fix

- PowerManagement Fix

AMD 10.5.2 Patches: - AMD Patch test 2

Then continue with the OS X Install as normal.

Step 3: Finishing up

On first boot, make sure you use the flag: maxmem=2048 (or maxmem=3060 if you have enough RAM). When the OS X has booted up, complete the setup wizard, and then OS X should be staring you in the face, with full QE/CI support. First things first, make sure you put 'maxmem=whatever you used' into /System/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist. You do this by double-clicking com.apple.boot.plist in the location stated above, and placing the string into the file under 'boot flags'.

Then, when you are finished playing with OS X, boot back into Windows, and open C:\boot.ini (If you can't do this, then you probably shouldn't). Then, add the line: 'C:\Chain0="Mac OS X"' to the end of boot.ini, and save the file. Then, take the Chain0.zip file that I have attatched to this post, and extract it to the C:\ Drive. Now, you have a Working Mac OS X entry in the Windows XP bootloader!

Now, put your GParted CD back into your DVD Drive, and reboot your computer. Boot from the GParted CD and got to the GParted GUI. When you are there, select your XP Partition, Right-click it, and click 'Edit Flags', select 'boot' and click OK. Save and reboot without the CD in the drive, and voila! A working OS X and XP Dual boot with a working boot menu.

Here are a couple of Files that you might find useful:

nForceLAN.zip: an NVIDIA nForce LAN Driver that works perfectly with the Aspire 9300.

nForceLAN.zip

Rosetta_Translate_Fix.zip: This fixes some PowerPC Apps crashing on startup (Like Office 2004).

Rosetta_Translate_Fix.zip

And here is that obligatory screenshot:

4l0wfd.jpg

• 7 months later...