Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Signal64 ftw!

soon to be on the working list is : asus p5n7a-vm

not as easy as the gigabyte but hopefully fully operational soon.

*UPDATE*

ASUS P5N7A-VM is up and fully operational!

LAN - SOUND - GFX and all the other bells and whistles work!

BTW, running on a Xeon E3110 (3Ghz wolfdale) and 4x 2Gb ddr2 800Mhz ram w/ 1 7200rpm hdd and slim dvd drive and 1x 100mm fan. this board runs nice with a low wattage. right now it runs perfectly off of a picoPSU 150-XT.

*** HOW-TO by Ufdah : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1080065

*** Updated DSDT : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1082035

*** Optional iGPU OC (in BIOS) : Scores 21621 in OpenMark, max OC I could get without glitching.

iGPU OverClock Mode = Manual
iGPU OverClock = 650
Shader OverClock = 1500

-D-

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I have been getting graphics corruption as well. Glad to here it is not just me (I hate RMA'ing stuff). Have you tried the apple Macbook pro update here. I haven't gotten far enough to give it a try. Anyone else out there get this board going without any trouble.

Sigal64 and mrosxn00b has the gigabyte working fine and I have the asus p5n-7a-vm working fine.

-D-

little tease of what the 9300 on oc can do: (this is on the Asus P5N7A-VM)

OpenMark_result.png

Hi DiaboliK,

have you tried this modded bios for the Asus P5N7A-VM?

http://rapidshare.com/files/169518027/P5N7A-VM-0404.rar.html

as seen here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=985318

(credits to OriginalMACNUT)

Would it solve the problems with wrong dsdt tables?

With it i should be ok without dsdt.aml?

What do you think? Maybe signal64 has something to say...he he

What about a new thread only for the Asus board to avoud confusion?

It would be the right place to put a steb by step guide + files needed package for "pseudo"-newbies like me!

My Asus is hopefully coming on thursday...i can do some pretty intensive testing! ;-)

Have a nice weekend guys!

T.

Hi DiaboliK,

have you tried this modded bios for the Asus P5N7A-VM?

http://rapidshare.com/files/169518027/P5N7A-VM-0404.rar.html

as seen here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=985318

(credits to OriginalMACNUT)

Would it solve the problems with wrong dsdt tables?

With it i should be ok without dsdt.aml?

What do you think? Maybe signal64 has something to say...he he

What about a new thread only for the Asus board to avoud confusion?

It would be the right place to put a steb by step guide + files needed package for "pseudo"-newbies like me!

My Asus is hopefully coming on thursday...i can do some pretty intensive testing! ;-)

Have a nice weekend guys!

T.

sure it would fix not having to use the dsdt.aml for now, but....

the current bios for the p5n7a-vm is now 407 not 404 and ur still going to need rtc fix and whatnot in 10.5.6 ;)

all that bios mod is doing is making it so you dont have to input cpus=1 during boot.

-D-

I managed to changed the PCI IDs in AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleAzaliaController.kext, it loads fine if I manually do kextload, but it's not automatically loaded. I only get analog 2 channel. Good enough for now. I'm sure someone here has a fully functional patched AppleHDA.kext for the ALC888 on the ASUS P5N7A-VM. If so, share with us, please?

neocui - can you do me a favor? Open a terminal and do a tail -f /var/log/system.log and see if you get any sound errors being logged.

Nope. no errors. Works perfectly.

Also, it seems that device rename in dsdt.dsl isn't completely for cosmetic purposes, it's necessary for USB.

On ASUS P5N7A-VM:

USB0 -> OHC1

USB1 -> EHC1

US15 -> OHC2

US12 -> EHC2

I had to the above to get all USB ports working. Otherwise, the system only recognizes the USB keyboard and mouse, and only in their original ports.

What about other devices? What's LPC? Also, I don't have AZAD section to rename to HDEF.. Can you post your AZAD section, and let me see which section it corresponds in my dsdt.dsl

Other than USB not showing up correctly in profiler my flash and usb hard drives did work fine on the P5N7A-VM and E7AUM-DS2H before the usb dsdt change.

If it helps to change it thats good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

ASUS P5N7A-VM Specific:

An issue with the ASUS is when you have Legacy USB Enabled in BIOS, EHCI handoff isn't done and it generates errors.

It's another reason why shutdown/reboot doesn't work with openhaltrestart.

USB EHCI handoff is sometimes an option in bios, but it's missing on the ASUS.

You can see the errors on boot with -v, dmesg, or grep for them in the /var/log/system.log.

If you turn off legacy USB in BIOS then shutdown/reboot works with the openhaltrestart kext and the errors go away.

Of course that means a usb keyboard/mouse doesn't work until you get into the OS.

The one USB EHCI kext fix I've used in the past didn't work either (there's a usb ehci fix thread that I got that fix from)

I was looking for another workaround but it's been very low on the priority list at the moment.

These are my notes for the P5N7A-VM - for others, don't confuse it with the Gigabyte I already posted above.

Credits to DiaboliK.

DSDT modifications for P5N7A-VM - BIOS Release 407
updated Dec-7-2008

Basic Changes

1. CPU Section requires removing alias's otherwise you have a CPUS=1 scenario on your hands. 
Rename the P001 section to have the cpus show up correctly in ioregistry

Before:

Scope (_PR)
	{
		Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00004010, 0x06) {}
		Alias (P001, CPU1)
		Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
		Alias (P002, CPU2)
		Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
		Alias (P003, CPU3)
		Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
		Alias (P004, CPU4)
	}

After:

Scope (_PR)
	{
		Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00004010, 0x06) {}
		Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
		Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
		Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
	}

2. HPET needs no modification

3. RTC modified - removed IRQNoFlags

Device (RTC0)
	  {
		  Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
			Name (CRS0, ResourceTemplate ()
			{
				IO (Decode16,
					  0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
					  0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
					  0x00,			   // Alignment
					  0x02,			   // Length
					  )
				   IRQNoFlags ()   <-- Remove
					   {8}			 <-- Remove
			 })

4. Search and Replace _T_ with T_

5. Search and Replace Acquire (MUTE, 0x03E8) with Acquire (MUTE, 0xFFFF)

6. Search and Replace Acquire (MUTE, 0x0FFF) with Acquire (MUTE, 0xFFFF)

7. Compile with iasl 

--- Note: At this point aml is enough to boot ----

Further Changes:

1. HDEF

a. Search and Replace HDAC with HDEF

2. USB

a. Search and Replace USB0 with OHC1
	b. Search and Replace US15 with OHC2
	c. Search and Replace USB2 with EHC1
	d. Search and Replace US12 with EHC2

3. SATA

a. Search and Replace ATA0 with SATA
	b. Will need to add dev id to AppleAHCIPort.kext - MCP79AHCI - IOPrimaryPCIMatch
		<string>0x0ab810de</string>

4. SBUS

a. Search and Replace SMB0 with SBUS

5. TRIM

a. Search and Replace TRM0 with TRIM

6. P4MI, NVPM

These don't have a matching entry in the default DSDT
	We add stubs so they are recognized.

Place the following above Device (OHC1)

Device (P4MI)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00030003)
			}

Device (NVPM)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0x00030005)
			}

7. GIGE

a. Search and Replace NMAC with GIGE

8. RP04

a. Search and Replace P0P6 with RP04

(that's P zero P6 and RP zero 4)

9. LPC

a. Search and Replace SBRG with LPCB

b. Will need to add dev id to AppleLPC.kext
		<string>pci10de,aac</string>

10. LPC Devices

a. Search and Replace DMAD with DMAC
	b. Search and Replace RTC0 with RTC
	c. Search and Replace OMSC with LDRC
	d. Search and Replace COPR with MATH
	e. Search and Replace (PIC) with (IPIC)
	f.  Search and Replace TMR with TIMR

11. MCH 

a. add the following above RP04 section

Device (MCH2)
			{
				 Name (_ADR, 0x00000001)
			}

Device (MCHC)
			{
				 Name (_ADR, Zero)
			}

Guess I'm not helping in keeping this thread to a E7AUM-DS2H topic :P

BTW - The one thing we haven't discussed is the advantage/disadvantage to the various Windows/Linux settings that can be set in either DSDT.

There's a section in both DSDT's (grep for Windows) that determine some settings based on the OS loaded.

This is the OSI Darwin "or" option that dsdt patcher can set.

I've been hardcoding various options and haven't seen any advantage/disadvantage to either so far.

Curious what others find.

hi neocui,

displayport would be interesting also because it's the only option to get dual link signal!

ie 2560x1600 for 30" LCD panels...

PS What about a freshly new thread for the ASUS P5N7A-VM board with files needed, howtos, etc etc?

hi neocui,

displayport would be interesting also because it's the only option to get dual link signal!

ie 2560x1600 for 30" LCD panels...

The onboard DVI isn't dual link? That blows. Because the on board DisplayPort isn't convertible to DVI as far as I know.

The specs are misleading and is HDCP related, not what the maximum the hardware can do.

Take a look at the OpenMark screen shots for both the Giga and the ASUS that we posted.

Mine was done on the DVI port which ASUS is listing as "Supports DVI interface with HDCP compliant with max. resolution up to 1600x1200 @60Hz" but obviously I'm running a higher res there.

When I did the HDMI/DVI test it was also at 1920x1200.

Some tidbit of info I saw is reminding me that the Display Port is analog only, but need to find that again.

The specs are misleading and is HDCP related, not what the maximum the hardware can do.

Take a look at the OpenMark screen shots for both the Giga and the ASUS that we posted.

Mine was done on the DVI port which ASUS is listing as "Supports DVI interface with HDCP compliant with max. resolution up to 1600x1200 @60Hz" but obviously I'm running a higher res there.

When I did the HDMI/DVI test it was also at 1920x1200.

Some tidbit of info I saw is reminding me that the Display Port is analog only, but need to find that again.

I'm running 1920x1200 over DVI, and Cyberlink Adviser in Vista tells me that it is HDCP compliant. So I have no idea what ASUS is smoking by saying 1600x1200. Now the question is, whether the DVI port is actually dual link. Because according to the nvidia chipset specs, it should be dual link.

The DisplayPort is "video only" (analog only would defeat the purpose of having one). This is the limitation of the chipset, so it applies to Macbook(Pro)s as well. That's why on the new 24" LED Cinema display there is a builtin USB sound card to handle the speakers and microphone. One would think sound should be carried over DP instead... This is also why I'm thinking about giving up trying to patch AppleHDA.kext, and just buy a Cinema Display instead, and just use the USB sound device :D. But then again, I can't seem to find anything to convert Apple's mini DP to regular DP, so maybe not.

Signal64, is there any chance you might do up a tutorial for a P5N7A-VM? I can get iDeneb 10.5.5 to install, but not to boot. My system is very plain (e8400, two sata HDDs and a sata dl burner - no extra cards or anything), so the barest essential guide would be all I need.

If you have time to do an install guide, that would be terrific. (If you don't, don't sweat it. I know the board is still pretty new and things are being worked out about it.)

When I get around to finally finishing a guide (once audio is fully working) it'll be using the new macbook restore discs.

I'm afraid I ran into issues with a 10.5.5 install and trying to use the new kexts and it wasn't the way to go (for me).

From a previous post:

The approach that Diabolik and I have taken is using the alu macbook as the basis for the install for the 730i boards.

It has the changes for the nvidia support (from Apple mind you) where a current retail dvd doesn't.

It got ugly using a 10.5.5 install when using just some of the new kexts.

When I got access to a new alu macbook (early holiday present) I went for using a disk image from it on these boards.

Diabolik proved you could use the restore disc from the new alu macbook as well.

If you get your hands on a copy of the new Aluminum Unibody Macbook restore disc we can help for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all - have finally decided to buy the Asus P5N7A-VM - should arrive next week - looking forward to installing and posting (successful) results.

Chose this board because it's cheaper and in stock in my area of Spain.

Question for Signal64 or Diabolik (or anyone who has the Asus board) do you have a DSDT fix for this board please.

I have the alu body MBP restore disks now (just the genuine disks NOT the MBP) and will install via my Dellintosh via USB.....

Thanks once again for all your hard work for OSx86.

for those still having problems with these new boards - could it be that Signal64 and Diabolik installed from the new MacBook Pros whereas we are probably installing from hacks????? I should be attempting an install on the Asus next week but it will be from by Dellintosh laptop........

hi - this is of course a predominantly Gigabyte 9400 thread, but there are numerous refences to the Asus P5N7A-VM 9300 - my particular interest. It has been asked before, but should this now be in a separate thread to avoid confusion?

Again, does anyone have the DSDT.aml for the Asus board please - I believe a few of us are trying to get hol.d of it. Thanks again ... :P

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are absolutely right - I disabled HDMI Audio in BIOS and now I only have three lines.

Great! Thank you for posting that, that helps me out for HDMI (as I'm running blind on that without an HDMI audio device right now).

Again, does anyone have the DSDT.aml for the Asus board please

Guess I posted the earlier instructions but not the compiled aml here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1008957

The HPET section is an issue, so use PMDisabler or NULLCPUPowerManagement kexts.

Here's the DSDT.aml for a P5N7A-VM DSDT courtisey of DiaboliK.

Obviously DO NOT USE THIS ON THE GIGABYTE.

DiaboliK_p5n7avm_dsdt.zip

Guess I posted the earlier instructions but not the compiled aml here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1008957

The HPET section is an issue, so use PMDisabler or NULLCPUPowerManagement kexts.

Here's the DSDT.aml for a P5N7A-VM DSDT courtisey of DiaboliK.

Obviously DO NOT USE THIS ON THE GIGABYTE.

Thanks v much - will post updates of install as soon as board arrives. :pirate2:

Yes. I have it running at different resolutions on vga+hdmi right now. I'm not using diaboliks NVCAP posted earlier though. I think that one is for dual dvi output. That is supported on the asus but not on the gigabyte board. I will check my nvcap and edit this post at a later date, I cant check it right now. If not someone else will post it before me.. :)

Thanks for your answer ;)

Go back and read my post about 4+ Gig.

So, we can actually say that Gigabyte boards have these problems right now with no solution:

1) +2GB Ram and you get problems with shared memory graphics.

2) Sound and ethernet don't work after sleep

3) HDMI audio not working

Personally, I don't care the point 3 because I would need audio from Optical Out and apparently it's working. But 1 and 2 point are really serious. What I want to know is if Asus Mobo have 1 and 2 point problems?

From what I have understand after read the thread two times, is that Asus don't have problem with shared memory and ethernet after sleep, but ¿how well works audio in that board? ¿No problem after sleep?

One question: In the Gigabyte board, if I set the ethernet configuration totally manual, ¿doesnt it resolve the problem with sleep?

I buyed last friday the Gigabyte board and will start ASAP to install Macbook ALU DVD with the instructions that some of you have put in the thread. I will post results when I have :), but I'm a little worried about problems with shared memory and return from sleep. ¿Maybe Asus Mobo would have been a better choice?

The System where I'll install and test Leopard is:

*Intel Core2Duo E5200 with Arctic Freezer 7 PRO

*Kingstom HyperX 4 GB DDR2 800

*Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H

*2.5" SATA Drive connected through external USB case

*Samsung TV LE32A656 (1080p HDMI)

*Onkyo DR-L50 Homecinema (connected with optical input) with JBL 5.1 speakers

Thanks all the people helping to get OS X run in that new mobos!! :P I'll do my best to do the same from my possibilities!