Help Installing OSx86 on a Gateway P-7805u

sega_phreak

340 posts in this topic

I just bought a Gateway P-7805u from Best Buy last week. This machine is awesome. 1920x1200 rez, 1gb Geforce 9800m GTS, 4gb ddr3 ram, Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz, etc. I was hoping that someone out there had one also and knew how to install OSx86 on it. I'll take any flavor of Leopard, I just need help and guidance. I appreciate any help with this project. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also working on getting leopard installed on this same laptop... I have tried Ideneb and Iaktos, with multitple configurations. It installs without error, but when starting up with -v swithch it freezes at:

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 669CE1E4-3509-3E06-AEDF-CEFE08E218B7

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

I have tried adjusting Sata modes (AHCI or IDE) in the Bios and installing different combinations (including none) of Sata drivers... I am a noob when it comes to OSX, but I would really like to learn more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just started restoring the laptop back to the "factory condition" so I can take it back to Best Buy and try to talk them out of their floor model tomorrow... I doubt I will be doing any additional tinkering tonight, but I will keep you posted.

I will also try the 10.5.6 universal build tomorrow once it is complete.

After you did the inital boot were you able to run with full 4GB of ram, or were you limited to 2GB forever?

By the way... how did you end up with the 1920x1200 resolution, Mine is 1440 x 900 although the floor model specified 1920.... I am going back tomorrow to have a chat.

The first 7805u units shipped out had the 1920x1200 lcd upgrade for some reason. There is a whole thread on it at the notebookforum. It looks like I was just lucky.

I went back to Best Buy today, and had them crack open a few boxes to find one.... So I am now the proud owner of a 1280p desktop replacement!

Now back to OSX86. I am going to attempt the install using IPC 10.5.6 universal. Any recomendations on Install options?

OK so it seems I am going backwards here... The IPC universal disk will not even boot up. The -v option stops at

USBF: 2.674 AppleUSBOHCI[0x634c000]: :CheckSleepCapability - Controller will be unloaded across sleep

I have googled, and not come up with much, some users reported this error when using external monitors with USB support, but that does not seem to match. I reset all the bios settings I could (not quite the selection I am used to on my ASUS) and nothing looked out of place to me... No Execute Mem Protection and Intel Virtulization are enabled.

Switching Sata Mode to IDE halts here: Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key> IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

I believe that is where I was freezing up on the actual Iatkos install that completed, so maybe a little clue towards Sata problems there.... This is also freezing up earlier in the boot process than with Sata set to AHCI

Leaving Sata Mode in AHCI, and disabling Legacy USB support seems to get the furthest. It gets past the USBF: 2.644 error listed above, but freezes on another:

USBF 2.843 AppleUSBOHCI[0x653c800]: :CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep then: Still waiting for root device over and over

I am back to fooling with Iatkos unless someone has another idea. I can't see a list of boot options with IPC universal so my hands are a bit tied. Another bit of info... It appears Iatkos will not boot unless the -v option is chosen (seems odd). The gateway I had before this one, had no issues booting the DVD, and as far as I know the only difference is the LCD panel.

Also, the keyboard would not work in the disk utility on the other gateway laptop, but the touchpad was fine. On this one keyboard works, but the touchpad does not... I will post some hardware ID's before I do any additional troubleshooting.

I think I mentioned earlier I am a relative noob when it comes to OSX, but I am dying to learn a bit of the troubleshooting. Hopefully the information provided above will be enough for someone with some OSX experience a starting point to give me some guidance? Google has turned up not much for me :)

Hardware and IDs:

Nvidia 9800M GTS: _062C

ICH9M-E/M AHCI Sata Controller: _8086

Marvel Yukon 88E8071 NIC: _436B

Intel Wireless WiFi Link: _4232

Conexant HD Smart Audio 221: _14F1

The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, and the northbridge appears to be ICH9M-E LPC

I feel like I am hijacking the insanelymac world... but another update.

Booting the same Iatkos DVD with a USB mouse attached caused it to freeze at the waiting for boot volume message (still using the -v switch). I unplugged the usb mouse, restarted using -v and everything loaded keyboard and touchpad were functional??????

This seems odd...

I am installing now with the following options:

Iatkos v5i main system

PC EFI V9 (checked by default)

AppleDecrypt (checked by default)

SMBIOS-EFI Air

X86 ACPI

Disabler.kext (checked by default)

No Drivers to try to simplfy things

I am going to continue updating this forum to document things for myself rather than keeping multiple sources of documentation, so I hope noone minds, and maybe I can get some additional suggestions. ^_^ Depending on how the install turns out, I will remove one memory stick as was suggested earlier and post an update.

*********My mistake... I forgot to load AHCI from the customize menu and got hung up on:

13AppleAHCIPort is not fompatible with its superclas, 10IOAHCIPort superclass changed?

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.

Couldn't alloc class "Apple AHCI"

Installing yet again with the same options as before and adding Intel AHCI Sata Driver

************Ok... update time.

I am now getting to the same Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMAtch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Extension "com.applie.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kip components; use only one style

I am going to give the memory chip removal a shot and see what happens... I am starting to feel a bit like Will Smith in "I am Legend" here sending out updates.... Any suggestions are well accepted.

another update....

Removing one memory chip yielded a new result. Booting with -v I was able to get it to boot to VGA family mismatch (or something to that effect). Booted with -x and OSX loaded!!!!!!

but.... I got a screen essentially telling me no keyboard detected. I am going to try to tackle the keyboard issue first by changing to stock ACPI.

This is doctor Robert Neville. I have successfully installed OSX... After changing up the install configuration, I had to reboot using the -f switch. Following that, I used -x and booted successfully into OSX with no errors, finally I was able to restart normally (-x may not have been neccessary in hindsight.)

It appears I have no wireless functionality, no sound, the video card is not configured correctly, and after reinstalling the memory stick to get back to 4GB the startup is freezing at localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[58]: starting I have tried -f, -s, & -x and none seem to get past this error... I am going to need some help on this one I think.

I am going to run with 2GB of memory for now, and try to tackle some of the other hardware issues...

This is Dr. Robert Neville signing off. I will be at the docks from noon to 2 p.m. on Tuesday when the sun is at it's highest. Please if you are out there, I have food, medicine and fresh water.

**********ok let the craziness continue. Before reinstalling the 2nd memory chip I had 4 or 5 successfull reboots using no switches... I removed the 2nd chip, and am getting hung up at a myriad of points in the start up. Including the Waiting on <Dict ID="0"> mentioned very early on in this thread, and now most recently

localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-176.2 (Aug 15 2008 14:58:54)[32]: starting which happens to be the very next line after the /usr/sbin/ocspd error I mentioned while having 4 GB of memory installed.

I'm not sure I am convinced that it is a problem with the memory now, but I am running out of steps to troubleshoot :)

309 views and not even a hint???

I see posts like "can't boot" "I Installed something from some shiny disk and the grey apple just sits there" And they get more responses.

Cmon people... I have included a ton on info here, maybe just a small nudge would be great!

Anyway, I have tried so many configurations, and had it freeze up in so many different spots I can't keep track any longer. I am going to try installing TOH driver and making the recomended changes in order to enalbe USB. Wish me luck!

OK so I have been out of town for the past week, so no real developments. I am going to play around for a bit this weekend, so hopefully I will have some new info to post.

I'm starting out installing IAtkos 10.5.5 using the following options:

SMBIOS-EFI Air

Intel AHCI SATA

If I remember correctly from last weekend, this setup (with no ACPI option) booted consistently using -x, it would just prompt me to connect a keyboard. I will see if that is the case, and if so, I will try to install a .kext for the internal keyboard. Any suggestions on a current file would be welcome :unsure:

***First update of the day....

Installed as listed above. I let the system restart on it's own following the install, it came to the kernel panic screen telling me to hold down power to restart.

I restarted and used -x -v, got to the screen telling me to connect a keyboard.

Restarted again using -x -v and got to the Waiting on <dict ID="0"> line and it froze.

Restarted a third time using -x -v and it booted to the connect a keyboard screen

I find it very odd that using the same switches over and over again produces different results each time. I have noticed similar behavior when booting from the install DVD. Sometimes I can just use -v, other times I have to use -X -V. There have been occasions where booting from the DVD I try F8 with -x -v multiple times and it will not boot, If I then use -f -v it still will not boot, but rebooting using -x -v typically will foce it to load.

Certianly the ammount of info I have provided here is enough for someone to take a stab at what is going on here. I am essentially flying blind and just making guesses over and over so really anything you all have to offer is GREATLY appreciated.

I also have a Gateway laptop, but a different version(P-7811FX). Processor is the same and graphics card is the same(except its 512 MB), and also 4 GB of DDR3 RAM. I tried installing iAtkos 1.0i without success, iAtkos 5.0i without success, and now trying Kalyway 10.5.2. The problem now is that when I finish installation and boot into Leopard, it tells me to restart the system. In diagnostic, it hangs after about 15 lines of code.

The problem now is that when I finish installation and boot into Leopard, it tells me to restart the system. In diagnostic, it hangs after about 15 lines of code.

what line does it freeze on? (What does it say exactly?)

.*** another update. I reinstalled fresh using the configuration options listed above. I am able to boot up using the -x -v swithces and a USB keyboard and mouse. I would say one out of every 3 or 4 restarts It hangs at the Waiting on <DictID "0">. If I manually power cycle and reboot, with -x -v it typically boots.

I am having some trouble getting the built in Keyboard and Touchpad working... I copied the ApplePS2Controller.kext to ./Extensions, did chmod and chown with no errors. kextload ApplePS2Controler.kext returns ApplePS2Controler.kext loaded successfully, but I still get no keyboard or touchpad.

Please keep in mind I am a noob to OSX so there is a high likelyhood I am missing some simple step. little help please

I have also tried following some instructions to update GFX strings for the 9800M GTS located here http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 on previous installs. It has ended up badly each time I did it. In addition to the instructions provided is there some other step I am missing? I did not choose any VGA options when installing and have not added any .kext for video..

*** Ok so lots of updates.

It appears I have been able to get a somewhat stable system with integrated Touchpad/Keyboard support.

I reinstalled OSX using the same settings I was playing with early on in my trials:

Iatkos v5i main system

SMBIOS-EFI Air

X86 ACPI

Intel SataAHCI

It worked!! I have been up and running with many many reboots and no real issues. I did the install with only one memory chip installed, and added the second one back in after a few reboots. (not sure if this was neccessary, but it was recomended and I am running).

I also disabled Legacy USB in the BIOS prior to my last install. I'm not sure if this was ultimately the cure. When I tried this install about 43 attempts ago, I had originally forgotten to add the Sata kext, so I did a reinstall and I am not positive if I erased the partition or not prior to adding the sata driver back into the mix. Not doing a clean install may have been the cause of my problems earlier...

Anyway like I said I am up and running pretty well. I was able to install the 9000 series video kexts following the instructions located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 and updated the GFX strings using these instructions http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 My card is correctly recognized as a 9800m GTS with 1GB video memory. The default resolution was automatically updated to 1920 x 1200 but QE/CI are not working. I have not done any investigation on this yet so I will keep you updated.

I was also able to get audio working using these instructions: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140869 . I attempted to install the AzaleaAudio.kext unmodified prior to using the one listed in the link above, and after running the package from the link, I had to manually copy and paste everything in the 'contents' folder over to my ./extensions/AppleAzaleaAudio.kext file. I then reregistered the file rebooted and audio output is working. Input shows no devices found, but I have not plugged in a Mic so that may be all there is to it. The function keys and volume slider on the laptop also work to control volume! :)

My next step is to try to tackle Wireless and onboard NIC although I am not terribly confident on getting the Intel WIFI working, I have not found a great deal of success stories there yet. Again any suggestions are welcome.

*** Ok so lots of updates.

It appears I have been able to get a somewhat stable system with integrated Touchpad/Keyboard support.

I reinstalled OSX using the same settings I was playing with early on in my trials:

Iatkos v5i main system

SMBIOS-EFI Air

X86 ACPI

Intel SataAHCI

It worked!! I have been up and running with many many reboots and no real issues. I did the install with only one memory chip installed, and added the second one back in after a few reboots. (not sure if this was neccessary, but it was recomended and I am running).

I also disabled Legacy USB in the BIOS prior to my last install. I'm not sure if this was ultimately the cure. When I tried this install about 43 attempts ago, I had originally forgotten to add the Sata kext, so I did a reinstall and I am not positive if I erased the partition or not prior to adding the sata driver back into the mix. Not doing a clean install may have been the cause of my problems earlier...

Anyway like I said I am up and running pretty well. I was able to install the 9000 series video kexts following the instructions located here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132089 and updated the GFX strings using these instructions http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509 My card is correctly recognized as a 9800m GTS with 1GB video memory. The default resolution was automatically updated to 1920 x 1200 but QE/CI are not working. I have not done any investigation on this yet so I will keep you updated.

I was also able to get audio working using these instructions: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140869 . I attempted to install the AzaleaAudio.kext unmodified prior to using the one listed in the link above, and after running the package from the link, I had to manually copy and paste everything in the 'contents' folder over to my ./extensions/AppleAzaleaAudio.kext file. I then reregistered the file rebooted and audio output is working. Input shows no devices found, but I have not plugged in a Mic so that may be all there is to it. The function keys and volume slider on the laptop also work to control volume! :D

My next step is to try to tackle Wireless and onboard NIC although I am not terribly confident on getting the Intel WIFI working, I have not found a great deal of success stories there yet. Again any suggestions are welcome.

Megaprimal you are awesome. I can't believe that you did all this on your own. I am such a noob with OSX it's not even funny, but I hope to attempt to replicate what you have done. Please keep posting any sucess's or faliures with the wireless and onboard nic. I'll keep in touch. Btw, to get started will I just need the Iatkos v5i download? or something additional?

Again, thanks for all the help!

Hi all, I have a P-7801u, same system except 1gb Video RAM, 1920x1200 screen.

I've been able to get OS X to load and install using iPC 10.5.6

However, I haven't been able to get drivers working.

In the iPC kext installation menu, prior to the OS X install, I selected drivers for my system such as Context audio, Nvidia 0.22 1GB RAM driver (not the Nvidia GO driver since that supports only 512mb according to text description) no kext for Intel 5100 wireless card so I selected the highest Intel wireless number and the Maxwell Yukon drivers, and then other random kexts, but it looks like none of them installed since I have no audio, network connections (ethernet, wireless, etc.) working video (running it at 1280x1000, looking real crappy) and responsiveness is horrible and menus seem to disappear when moving them around. The only thing I noticed that worked was the support for PS/2, since the keyboard and trackpad worked, though you couldn't use touch the pad to click.

I don't know what to do from this point. Should I re-install and select different texts or load them from a flash drive?

If so, which kexts should I select or stick on my USB drive?

Also, the only way I was able to load the CD and install was to disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS menu.

i tried the installation technique by Megaprimal. Before, I partitioned a 20 GB space in my 180 GB hard drive. After the installation, I took the dvd out, and when I tried to boot into my hd, it gave me boot0:error. so I reinstalled and left the disk in. It went directly to the dvd and started the installation process over, even though I already finished installing it. Then I popped in the windows vista repair/reinstall disk and attempted to flag the partitions. My partition is listed at disk 0 partition 5. I typed that, and it told me to partition wasnt in a valid format. Any help?

i tried the installation technique by Megaprimal. Before, I partitioned a 20 GB space in my 180 GB hard drive. After the installation, I took the dvd out, and when I tried to boot into my hd, it gave me boot0:error. so I reinstalled and left the disk in. It went directly to the dvd and started the installation process over, even though I already finished installing it. Then I popped in the windows vista repair/reinstall disk and attempted to flag the partitions. My partition is listed at disk 0 partition 5. I typed that, and it told me to partition wasnt in a valid format. Any help?

I had the same error. "boot0:error".... any help would be greatly appreciated. This is what I did do:

1. Formatted a 50g space on my hdd to be used by the install disc

2. Disabled legacy usb in my bios

3. Loaded up iAtkos 5i

4. After iAtkos loaded, i selected Disk Utility

5. Selected my OSX partition and reformatted it for install

6. Proceeded to install iAtkos 5i to 100%

7. Rebooted

8. Removed Install Disc

9. Laptop started to boot up

10. "boot0:error"

Help

before, i tried using my external hd. it didnt have the error(boot0:error) but the code froze half-way through. Then i read that disabling legacy usb or something would work. I disabled it in the bios, but then my external hd didnt show up in the bootscreen(figures). So i had to revert back to partitioning disk 0 with the c drive. Also tried iAtkos 1.0i--> still waiting for root device, Kalyway 10.5.2--> froze on code.

Whats it take?!?