Nvidia GTX 295 support

Karakino

69 posts in this topic

To the moderators: please sticky this so people will not have to search a lot for infos about this card

Hello guys.

Now that the monster is out (Nvidia Gtx 295) from Asus, i think the best ;), and a couple more of videocard makers, i think it is

time to gather all here and gain as much info as possible to make it work under our beloved Hackintosh and obviously on all the

real Macs out there (Mac Pros). Pros that work with a monster like that will gain significant advantages in comparison to the poor

high-end videocards that apple store can offer.

I saw in another post that snow leopard will have support or this, and actually i already saw a couple of dvd images of snow leopard

floating on p2p but i have not downloaded them so i cannot tell if it got drivers for gt200b...

So guys, let's make it happen! ;)

Bye and good luck!

Snow Leopard has "support" for the 260 and 280, not the 295

If the 295 is anything like the 9800 GX2, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it to work

yeah... i saw on the board that 9800gx2 has support for only nvidia boards... damn... i know i had to learn

to use a programming language when i was a kid ;)

Now that i have some time to spend on things like this i wish i knew something about programming so i would

probably do that by myself instead of asking around... I hope some1 got that to work soon or i'll have to use

vesa support for a long time ;)

Since Snow Leopard is around the corner, I really don't think anyone would spend the time to make them work in Leopard. Besides, from the look of things, you don't just make them work, you probably would have to write the driver from ground up which would take absolutely tremendous amount of work. And if I remember correctly, no one has done a driver for video card up to now.

Another problem is that if you tweak a existing driver to make it work, its very likely that it will work in later release of OS X. But even if you write a driver, from the history of Apple, its extremely likely that things will completely break at next update anyway.

The GTX 295 is simply two GTX 260s in SLI. They are even on separate PCBs! As long as we can get [my precious] GTX 260 to work, we should be able to get the GTX 295 working fine.

What does that have to do with anything?

Having a Core i7 Processor gets you nothing more than what a Core 2 Quad gets you in OSX86, but having drivers for a GTX 260/GTX 295 will get you full QE/CI support. Plus, with Snow Leopard, you'll not only be able to get the full QE/CI support with your GTX 260/295, but also be able to get OpenCL support to have your Core 2 work IN TANDEM with your GTX 260/295. Having just a Core i7 gives you only half the power of a Core 2 Quad + GTX 260/295.

We just need to wait until Snow Leopard's release with GT200 drivers. With those, you should be able to hack it to recognize the two GTX 260s in that monster.

Snow Leopard has "support" for the 260 and 280, not the 295

If the 295 is anything like the 9800 GX2, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it to work

It's not. Well, it's setup the same way the GX2 is, but nothing like it. The 295 is just 2 260's put together, and there is no support for the GTX 2 series right now.

What does that have to do with anything?

Having a Core i7 Processor gets you nothing more than what a Core 2 Quad gets you in OSX86, but having drivers for a GTX 260/GTX 295 will get you full QE/CI support. Plus, with Snow Leopard, you'll not only be able to get the full QE/CI support with your GTX 260/295, but also be able to get OpenCL support to have your Core 2 work IN TANDEM with your GTX 260/295. Having just a Core i7 gives you only half the power of a Core 2 Quad + GTX 260/295.

We just need to wait until Snow Leopard's release with GT200 drivers. With those, you should be able to hack it to recognize the two GTX 260s in that monster.

Well no duh. Just in the number of cores, that's it. But then when you look at how much faster 1 i7 core is then 1 core 2 quad is, well I think you get it from there. An i7 can be underclocked, and still perform better then most if not all core 2 quads. And, it's not just the cpu you look at, ful ddr3 triple channel support, which lga775 has some ddr3 support, but i7 has way better!

Although, I7 is hell of a lot more money then the Core 2 quad, and while the better performance is nice, it's not enough performance for the difference in money imo.

Although, I7 is hell of a lot more money then the Core 2 quad, and while the better performance is nice, it's not enough performance for the difference in money imo.

And that is why I bought a GTX 260. Also, you have to deal with making sure your motherboard is compatible with OSX86 (if you went with Core i7), and thats ton in itself. You know that in Snow Leopard, there MUST be GTX 260/295 drivers. Also, with a GTX 260, you're effectively doubling your computing capacity (with OpenCL) with less of a hit on your wallet (and number of hairs pulled out trying to get SL to find everything on that new i7 Motherboard).

Yes, but that's also if there's support for it. While it's in VESA mode, there is no benefit at all. But then you have to make sure your motherboard is compatible with osx86 no matter what platform you're on. I7 has some support, but understand that it's still new, and developing.

No matter how you look at it, osx86 is nothing easy. It may come easy to understand, but in the long run it's not easy.

• 3 weeks later...
the monster is ati 4870x2 ( 1600 stream procesor, 2g ddr5) :)

gtx295 just only 480 stream procesor,1792MB ddr3) :(

and 4870x2 will support with snow leopard :D

Stream processors aren't everything, as the GTX295 seems to be faster in almost all benchmarks, and both cards will be supported in Snow Leopard, as the GTX295 is two GTX260's slapped on to each other and use an SLI bridge in between, and the 4870X2 are just two 4870s on the same PCB.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 OCX, Drivers or alternates for OSX?

I just purchased a BFG Tech GeForce GTX 285 OCX for my MAC PRO (2.66 dual x 2) tower.

Unfortunately I didnt check for compatibility and now Im having hell trying to find drivers or alternative drivers.

I called tech support (1st support call EVER to ANYONE!), and they said it should be possible to use on the PC side of BOOT CAMP.

I did the option boot of boot camp but the display never came on. Its possible the 2 PCIe power cables I GHETTO RIGGED together werent connected properly....

Im not foreign to Hackintosh-ing and not afraid of upper level procedures, any ideas?

K

The GTX 295 is simply two GTX 260s in SLI. They are even on separate PCBs! As long as we can get [my precious] GTX 260 to work, we should be able to get the GTX 295 working fine.

Hear! hear!

can't wait to go full power on Q9550+4gbRam+(good old:)asus maximus+GTX 260 896 216shaders :)

Working in vesa but it hangs,I hope due to the graphic drivers cause with Q6600 and 8800gts 512mb os was rock stable and working like hell

off topic

anyone had problems with Q9550 and a video supported card?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any hard evidence (and that they can post without violating a confidence) that 10.6 WILL actually support any of the 260/280/285/295 NVIDIA cards. The fact that the new Pros have been announced with this glaring gap in NVIDIA support under 10.5.x makes me very skeptical.... :unsure:

Does anyone have any hard evidence (and that they can post without violating a confidence) that 10.6 WILL actually support any of the 260/280/285/295 NVIDIA cards.

No NVidia 200 series support on 10.5.7. See Netkas blog.

Having a Core i7 Processor gets you nothing more than what a Core 2 Quad gets you in OSX86

Wrong. Nehalem has a different architecture from the Core 2 and it is visibly faster than any Core 2 derivatives (duo and quads.)

Although, I7 is hell of a lot more money then the Core 2 quad.

The 920 core is about the same price as Q9550 at less than $300.

Also, you have to deal with making sure your motherboard is compatible with OSX86 (if you went with Core i7), and thats ton in itself.

The new MacPro uses i7 meaning that we will see support for those Nehalem cores in 10.5.7.

Does anyone have any hard evidence (and that they can post without violating a confidence) that 10.6 WILL actually support any of the 260/280/285/295 NVIDIA cards.
How about Snow Leopard. I keep hearing that it works, but haven't seen hard evidence since September last year.

Nehalem is better and faster, but also more expensive, because basically the new motherboards & DDR3 RAM is more expensive than the old motherboards with DDR2.

• 3 months later...

you would just get it to detect as a single gtx 260 or with a bit of plist editing two cards at the same pcie location, unless you get the nice new gtx295 which is the two 285 together but don;t think there released yet..

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the GTX295 working great on my Core i7 720 configuration.

I used iAtkos v7 with "Natit Enabler" and "GTX200 EVGA Driver".

It seems to work perfectly with QE/CE but the sleep mode doesn't wake up the screen and the vram information of the second GPU isn't correct (0 instead of 896)

if anyone has any other idea to get these things workin', i'm in touch ;)

• 2 weeks later...