Leopard on Acer Aspire 9300 -- Tutorial

SwissArmySpoon

8 posts in this topic

The specs of the computer which I did this on are in my sig.

This tutorial will teach you how to dual boot Windows XP and Mac OS X Leopard on your Acer Aspire 9300.

What you need:

-Partitioning Utility (doesn't really matter which one, as long as it can allocate blank space)

-Hiren's Boot CD (Google)

-gParted LiveCD (Google)

-Leo4All v. 4.1 (Google/Torrentz)

-ImgBurn (Google)

-WinRAR (Google)

What you do:

PART 1 - Preparation

1. Assuming you have the same, standard, 120-gig hard drive as I do, you'll want to open your partitioning utility, and use it to allocate around 20 gigs of free space (more if you want more for Leopard)

2. Burn Hiren's Boot CD and gParted to CDs using ImgBurn, and then burn Leo4All to a DVD-R or DVD+R, I don't think it matters.

3. Once that is done, restart your computer, and enter your BIOS. You need to change the order of booting so that your computer will boot from a CD first.

4. Insert Hiren's Boot CD and reboot.

5. Go to Boot Managers (Or something like that, I don't exactly remember)

6. Select "Smart Boot Manager" and run through the setup.

7. Reboot without Hiren's Boot CD in the drive.

8. Enter BIOS again, and change the boot order back to the way it was originally.

9. Insert Leo4All v. 4.1 DVD, and reboot.

10. Smart Boot Manager should start, scroll down to the CD/DVD option and press Enter

11. Again, when prompted, press F8, type -v, and press enter.

12. A whole bunch of code, text, and jibberish will fly across your screen, and it will take a while for it to go away, but eventually you will get to the Apple with the little spinning circle thing under it. That means setup has begun!

PART 2 - Installation

1. When presented with the install screen, select Utilities from the bar at the top, and pick Disk Utility.

2. After Disk Utility loads, you should see 2 or 3 disks on the left hand side of the window. Pick the one that is the free space which you allocated earlier (should be called disk0s2 or something like that).

3. Pick "Erase" from the tabs, enter a name with no special characters (I just used Leopard), and select "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" from the Volume format dropdown.

4. Make sure you're erasing the right disk, and then hit Erase.

5. Once that is done, close disk Utility and proceed with the Setup, using your newly Erased/Formatted disk as the install disk.

6. Selecting Options in Install

Just as a precaution, the items I have listed here worked for me. I believe there are other options that I do not list here that may be required for install, you have to read the description of each component to see if they are required. Don't select anything that is "Required for EFI", as we are installing the NON-EFI version, however, if something is required in general, select it.

• SMBIOS for
    NON-EFI

• NON-EFI
    bootloader

• NON-EFI
    Kernel 9.2.0

• Remove Firewire

• About This Mac

• Power Management

• Nforce Old (Under Chipset Drivers - Deselect all others)

• AC97Audio (Under Audio - Deselect all others)

• NVIDIA (Under Graphics Drivers - Deselect all others)

• ForceDeth-V (Under Network Drivers - Deselect all others)

• ApplePS2Controller

• [i Installed Pacifist, KextHelper, and Stuffit]

7. Hit "Next", and proceed with the installation.

8. Kick back, relax, and go play some Halo or something, cuz it takes a little while to install.

9. When the install has finished, the computer will reboot. Congrats! You've installed Mac OS X Leopard!

PART 3 - The Dual Boot

1. Once your computer reboots, you will be faced with the Darwin Bootloader, and you should select your Windows partition.

2. Once you're in Windows, download the chain0 file from here (requires winRAR) --> http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/wp-cont...6/08/chain0.rar

3. Extract the file to the directory C:/

4. Edit the Boot.ini File by:

• Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  • On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  • Under System Startup, click Edit.

5. In boot.ini, add this line as the last line

C:\CHAIN0="Mac OS X86" /numproc=1

6. Click File-->Save, and Close boot.ini

7. Click Ok, then Apply, then Ok.

8. Reboot your computer with gParted in the drive.

9. Enter your BIOS again, and change the Boot Order to having CD first again.

10. Reboot, keeping gParted in the drive.

11. gParted will start, and go through the Setup with your language, country, and everything.

12. Once gParted has loaded, select your Mac partition (HFS+ or something like that), and edit flags. Deselect Boot, and then apply the changes.

13. gParted will reload, and then select your Windows partition, and edit flags. Select boot, and then apply changes.

14. Shut down your computer.

15. Start up your computer and enter your BIOS. Change the boot order back so that Windows is first, and remove the gParted CD from the drive.

PART 4 - The Glory

1. Reboot

2. You will be presented with the bootloader screen. Select Mac OS X 86.

3. You will be shown the Darwin bootloader. Select Leopard. Press Enter.

4. Enjoy Mac OS X.

Current Bugs:

-Network connection is odd, Airport reports as off, but when I downloaded an after-install driver, I was able to access the internet without Airport turned on.

-Sound does not work as of yet, maybe someone could help with drivers? I've tried a whole bunch.

This is my tutorial, but if you wish to copy it, just make sure you give credit where credit is due.

• 6 months later...

Thanks man, about to try this out, ive tried so many... i swear this model is the hardest to get mac on. i dont know about you but my laptop has and ALC883 sound card, if that helps to find the driver.

I shall report back once its done

EDIT: Ok i am on mac on my computer, everything works.

Except i can't boot up with anything usb plugged in

also, I Have to manually connect to my WPA network in airport using the diagnostics thing.

Oh, and i have 1440x900 resolution but hardware acceleration isn't working - but that will be the next thing to sort out.

sound works but only out of the internal speakers, otherwise there is no input or headphone out.

... But at least it boots up and works

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have the airpot off! can't make it work!

The headphones audio does not work!

AND

i need some help!

i want to edit ntfs drive from my mac! I know the ntfs driver-3g! But how exactly do I do it!?

AND this is urgent! I have a 1000 Dollar audio board through pci express card (Texas Instruments PCIXX12 cardbus controller) driver??? Please help me install it!

Please HELP!

apprently you can use the natit nvidia drivers to get acceleration support. I dont know im stuck at mdnsresponder: could not update uuid: sucssess :(

i will try again without installling any network drivers tomorow, hopefully my luck will change

@djshiver have you tried searching the forums?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29583

i dont know if it will work but you might as well try it out

Edit:

WOOHOO it works i have sound, correct resolution, usb all working

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36520

use that for sound - it enables line in, the microphone, and headphone only output :(

• 7 months later...

i am trying to do this but i am getting desperate

in the step 10 of the preparation :

10. Smart Boot Manager should start, scroll down to the CD/DVD option and press Enter

lect the cd

I get always "error in the disk" when i select the cd, and nothing happens, anyone can help me please??