Windows 7 and Mac Drive

french squared

111 posts in this topic

So everyone knows by now that Mac Drive's installer wont work in Windows 7.

I have an idea. It is the installer not the application that isnt working.

Mac drive looks at your OS then realizes it isnt XP, Vista or whatever and quits.

Install Vista, Install Mac Drive then upgrade to Windows 7

Mac Drive will already be installed therefor you wont have the issues.

I have tried installing:

Adobe CS3

Adobe CS4

MS Office

Wireshark

Putty

Hamachi

Firefox

Stuffit

WinRar

Several Printer Drivers

and lots of other stuff.

Everything but Mac Drive works.

Windows 7 has basically the same registry as Vista.

There is no reason for Mac Drive not to work

Good Luck

I will try this myself in a few days

but I need a computer to try it on.

I got it installed, it was actually pretty easy. I will post the instructions once I boot back into Windows.

EDIT: Okay here are the instructions:

(Sorry the upload is a .zip file, it wouldn't let me upload a .vbs file.)

EDIT2: MacDrive doesn't see my OS X partition, but it can read the HFS+ file system on my OS X DVDs

Edited by Mac Cute
Cracks are not allowed

Go to -Link removed- and download 7.2 version that has been modified for Windows 7

Enjoy

Since they removed the link. You guys should check out my blog.

It is called IT Admin and located at www.gordonfrench.com.

Edited by french squared
Link to pirated pieces of software

it still doesnt find my disk :(

the hard drive is connected via USB and everytime I plug it into another USB port windows starts to install the generic usb hub driver and then the USB to IDE driver but the disk doesnt show up in explorer.

first install mac drive then go to disk management and initilize the external hardisk by right click on it. :(

it still doesnt find my disk :o

the hard drive is connected via USB and everytime I plug it into another USB port windows starts to install the generic usb hub driver and then the USB to IDE driver but the disk doesnt show up in explorer.

That's too bad. There's definitely something strange going on there for sure.

I didn't adjust any of the settings in Transmac and as soon as I plug in my USB drive, my HFS Mac Volume appears and works properly. The only difference might be that my usb drive was originally formatted as MBR so that I could have a Windows and Mac partition on it. Windows won't see the Mac partition, but Transmac does, which is the way it should be.

Sorry it didn't help.

I'm testing the Windows 7 Beta in my main setup. I have one drive with WinXP SP3 in first partition and Windows 7 installed in a secondary partition. I also have three more drives in the system, two of them formatted with the GUID partition scheme, one with two Mac OS X 10.5.6 systems and the other with my iTunes library.

I've installed MacDrive's latest version 7.2.4 using booger_sniffer5000 - thanks - method to remove the version check and it apparently runs well but it cannot read any GUID partition from my internal drives, but I've plugged in a 4GB USB sitck formatted as Mac OS Plus Journaled with GUID partition scheme and it reads it correctly.

The only difference I can see is that my USB stick only has a 128 MB hidden partition at the beggining and the internal hard drives have a 200 MB partition at the beggining (reported by Windows 7 as Healthy EFI System Partition) and another 128 MB partition at the end.

Any advice will be really appreciated, I would like to test Windows 7 and I'm actually doing it, but I need to have access to my multimedia files that are in the GUID partitions.

Alright, I think i have one more option here.

I'll try to install the mobo drivers from vista as soon as dell's site gets back up. Maybe its something with the usb ports, which i really doubt because i was able to successfully transfer files from my PSP.

i have the same issues with both macdrive and transmac, nothing at all is showing up... anyone else have suggestions?

yes, i was in the same position as you. what you want to do is download the Ubuntu 8.10 live cd, http://www.ubuntu.com/, i found that MiT had the fastest download speeds. once you burn that to a cd and boot it up as live user, go to system -> administration -> login window then go to the security tab and check allow local administrator to log in, or something along those lines, then go to 'users and groups', should also be under administration, if not check under preferences, and click on the root used. then press edit(or preferences, not sure what the button is called), and set a password. then log out by pressing the power icon in the top right corner. for your log in details type root for the user name and the password you just set for the pass. once your in go to add / remove programs, set it to look in all programs from the drop down list and search for NTFS. the app we're looking for should be called ntfs-config or something like that. install it. once that is done, if the ntfs tool doesn't automatically open, you want to go to applications -> system -> ntfs-config. enable internal and external read and write permissions, and when it asks you for a mount point just click on the thing and type what you want to name it. you should now have full read/write access to your windows drive. now just plug in your mac drive and copy :)

hope this helped. if you need me to clarify something just post back :wacko:

ummmm the problem is that w7 wont reconise the osx partition. I dont need read/write access to my windows drive. maybe if you wanna post this little tutorial, you may want to take your time and re read it so it makes sense.."and when it asks you for a mount point just click on the thing" what the hell is that?

must my 2c

ummmm the problem is that w7 wont reconise the osx partition. I dont need read/write access to my windows drive. maybe if you wanna post this little tutorial, you may want to take your time and re read it so it makes sense.."and when it asks you for a mount point just click on the thing" what the hell is that?

must my 2c

when you're using the ntfs-config tool in ubuntu, it will ask you to name a mount point.

i attached a picture of it.

this was just the method i used since windows wouldnt recognize my mac partition either. using a ubuntu live CD, which recognizes the OS X format natively solved the problem.

[quote

this was just the method i used since windows wouldnt recognize my mac partition either. using a ubuntu live CD, which recognizes the OS X format natively solved the problem.

so after this method, windows 7 can read the mac partition through mac drive??

Hello, thank you for the MacDrive7 workaround, that worked great.

However, my hard drive doesn't seem to want to properly show up still. It does not show in My Computer at all, and when I go to Data Management, Windows only recognizes it as an unallocated partition, which I know is not true. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Because I am at a loss. That drive has all my media files and would love to have it working again on this computer, especially since Windows7 is a very nice OS so far.

Attached picture is an image of my disk management screen.

Thank you.

post-349068-1231100813_thumb.jpg

siefer that isnt a solution, if i wanted to copy my osx files to my pc partition, i would just boot up osx since i have ntfs 3g, wich allows me to write to ntfs partition. i guess macdrive 7 does not work on win7.