Dell Inspiron 1525 STAC9228 internal/external mic

gbonilla

35 posts in this topic

I have both external and internal mic working on the dell inspiron 1525 but the external jack plugin shows up at internal mic as well. I've tried to get the speakers to auto-switch to both headphone ports but I didn't get it working I only have it auto-switching to the left headphone port.

I've almost gotten it working perfectly except I don't have mic device controls and the whole auto-switching. I've attached my AppleHDA.kext so maybe some of you can help out and get this working?

I tried my best but I didn't use Node 19 which says is the internal mic but rather I found that 12 worked. I'm not sure why this was but it is what it is.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edit: There is a new Kext I made that has auto-switching to both headphone ports it is below.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edit: Here is my newest kext with Line In displaying rather than "Internal Mic" It is purely cosmetic and works just like the one before this but looks better in sound preferences. With this kext it also displays Internal Mic and Line In in the Audio section in Bios.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edit: January 17, 2008 Slice recently discovered how to get the mic slider on internal mics! Here is the kext with the edit. Next step is ambient noise reduction!

AppleHDA.kext.zip

gbonilla you are the best

with your kext i've got the autoswitch working, also the external mic is working great

but the internal mic still dead although is recognised, i think it could be by the pin assignment also when i shutdown or restart the sound is just gone and i have to plug and unplug the headphones to get it working again

i'm attaching mi old kext that had the internal speakers, headphones and internal microphone and the linux codecdump

my laptop in an inspiron 1420 with sigmatel 9228

sigmatel_9228_dell_1420.zip

I took the AppleHDA.kext from taruga's 9228 on your post and worked from there. Yeah I got it working from modifying the pathmap and from there I edited the ConfigData so that it could be recognized as an Internal Mic instead of a Line out.

MiniMalco the sound going away is a problem with some of the 9228's I believe and it has something to do the ConfigData if I'm not mistaken. I don't really know because mine doesnt have that problem but I believe others have that problem. If I have time I'll give your AppleHDA a look but to be honest I don't know too much about what I'm doing. I kinda learned how to do all this stuff from looking at other AppleHDA's and reading codecs.

There is a new kext that I just made that has auto-switching to both headphone ports as well.

thanks for the new kext...I have the same model...I have a question for you...in your signature..you said that have sd/ms working... I KNOW that the SD(HC) is working, but what about the ms card?

I have both external and internal mic working on the dell inspiron 1525 but the external jack plugin shows up at internal mic as well. I've tried to get the speakers to auto-switch to both headphone ports but I didn't get it working I only have it auto-switching to the left headphone port.

I've almost gotten it working perfectly except I don't have mic device controls and the whole auto-switching. I've attached my AppleHDA.kext so maybe some of you can help out and get this working?

I tried my best but I didn't use Node 19 which says is the internal mic but rather I found that 12 worked. I'm not sure why this was but it is what it is.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Edit: There is a new Kext I made that has auto-switching to both headphone ports it is below.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Maybe I'm misreading this or something but you say that if i install your applehda file then I will have both headphones working, internal speakers working, and internal mic working. Is this correct?

Tivimac sorry for the misleading info I assumed it would work because I thought I read that it worked.

Slice I'm having the hardest time getting it to be recognized as an external mic, I think it has something to do with the pincofigs.

Although with my kext I have auto-switching from speakers to the headphones.

Slice I'm having the hardest time getting it to be recognized as an external mic, I think it has something to do with the pincofigs.

Although with my kext I have auto-switching from speakers to the headphones.

In kext v1.4.0 PinConfigs are used only for System Profiler.

I found that LinuxCodecDump from Ubuntu 8.0.4 does not contain real PniConfig.

In WindowsXP I see LineIn but not MicExt.

Out of topic: did you want to take part in Marvell 8040 developement?

How to make the Microphone Slider appear?

In my config LineIn has no input control so slider is impossible. Else it appears automatically.

Thanks Slice, I am comparing configs from ALC888 and STAC 92xx, and I don't see any input control on Mic, External Mic or Line In on the ALC888 and they appear on ecah one, maybe I don't know where to find it.

In kext v1.4.0 PinConfigs are used only for System Profiler.

I found that LinuxCodecDump from Ubuntu 8.0.4 does not contain real PniConfig.

In WindowsXP I see LineIn but not MicExt.

Out of topic: did you want to take part in Marvell 8040 developement?

In my config LineIn has no input control so slider is impossible. Else it appears automatically.

I actually gave it a look and it is a Line In and now it is recognized as a Line In after I messed with the configdata.

I would love to work on the Marvell 8040 development but to be honest I've never tried to work on it. I really don't know where to start, if you can help me out a bit and give me a place to start I can learn quite quickly.

Get back to me if you can.

I don't mean to double post but I'd like to let everyone know that there is a new kext that fixes the double internal mic problem as well as making "About This Mac" show all of the correct info. Have fun!

I actually gave it a look and it is a Line In and now it is recognized as a Line In after I messed with the configdata.

I would love to work on the Marvell 8040 development but to be honest I've never tried to work on it. I really don't know where to start, if you can help me out a bit and give me a place to start I can learn quite quickly.

Get back to me if you can.

Thank you for the new HDA!

About 8040 I am waiting for you here. Read then discuss.

hi, i'm not a complete newbie but how do you get this kext to work? i've installed osx 86 on a couple of desktops been using it since 10.4 in fact but i'm completely new to installing on a laptop. just bought an inspiron 1525 and would like to get it all working as best as i can. have successfuly installed 10.5.6 pcwiz but i'm curently at a loss with this... something simple i'm missing i hope haven't got the power mangangment working yet either but that's another story. i notice you're working on a marvell network driver as well all the best with it! and big respect!!! not a programmer, me more like a systems support type ha ha ;)

hi, i'm not a complete newbie but how do you get this kext to work? i've installed osx 86 on a couple of desktops been using it since 10.4 in fact but i'm completely new to installing on a laptop. just bought an inspiron 1525 and would like to get it all working as best as i can. have successfuly installed 10.5.6 pcwiz but i'm curently at a loss with this... something simple i'm missing i hope haven't got the power mangangment working yet either but that's another story. i notice you're working on a marvell network driver as well all the best with it! and big respect!!! not a programmer, me more like a systems support type ha ha :)

You have to delete AppleAzalia.kext and make sure you have HDAenabler.kext in your extensions. With that you should just kext helper my newest AppleHDA.kext in and you should be up and running. If you don't have HDAenabler.kext I added it below. Some people have trouble with ALCInject.kext running as well so you might want to remove that as well.

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...
gbonilla you are the best

with your kext i've got the autoswitch working, also the external mic is working great

but the internal mic still dead although is recognised, i think it could be by the pin assignment also when i shutdown or restart the sound is just gone and i have to plug and unplug the headphones to get it working again

i'm attaching mi old kext that had the internal speakers, headphones and internal microphone and the linux codecdump

my laptop in an inspiron 1420 with sigmatel 9228

Hey Minimacico,

Is this kext working with auto switching for you? I have a dell 1318 and this codec is the only one that I can use, which allows my laptop to shutdown.....I can't get the auto switch to work with it though....I'm new to modifying kext's, but it doesn't sound like it's a big deal. How did you get the autoswitching working, what should I look for in the kext to change?

Thanks in advance!

firstly very excellent work on the current STAC9228 kext file for the Dell,

I've installed it on my Fujitsu p1610 which uses the same sound hardware.

But currently I only get sound through the headphones,

the auto switching works,

the volume sliders work,

obviously there are differences in the hardware between the dell and fujitsu.

could you possibly give me any pointers where I would go about editing the kext,

to see if I can get the speakers to work,

i guess it's to do with pin configuration,

but obviously i don't understand it all really,

but i'm willing to learn.

thanks.