Installing iATKOS 5i 10.5.5 on Asus eeeBox B202

ratzfatz

16 posts in this topic

Step by Step

Preparation:

Update eeeBox Bios to latest version 1004: Bios download

Prepare USB Stick with these tools: Pauls Wind Driver and Utility Pack: Toolset download

Credits to Paul, his very interesting thread is found here: Pauls Thread

Installing:

Boot iATKOS 5i 10.5.5 with cpus=1

Very important, standard boot results in kernel panic.

Prepare drive with Disk Utility

Install with default settings and select one driver: VGA -> Intel -> EFI string for Intel

• Skip DVD check, wait 20 Minutes, system will reboot when progress bar is somewhere in the middle.
  • Get headphone and plug into rear output (next to ethernet port) - front output is not working.
  • Change boot-volume in BIOS and boot into OSX.
  • Select country and keyboard, check with headphone if music is playing (nice song).
  • Do not transfer user account transfer, click continue
  • Press "Apple Q" to get out of the registration process, confirm with "Skip"
  • Create your account, go to System Preferences and deactivate automatic software update.

Now working:

Ethernet

Sound (rear port only)

Run AboutThisMac (fixes Information shown in the "About" window)

Run Kext Helper and install

• AppleSMBIOS.kext (for accurate System Profiler Information)
  • AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (fixes screen resolution)
  • AppleIntelGMA950.kext (enables Quartz Extreme)

Do NOT reboot!

Open a Finder window and drag it partly right off the screen, start System Preferences and drag its window partly off the screen to the right, leave all windows open and reboot. Screen resolution is changing now (depending on your hardware) and you might not see the Menu Bar, the dock and disc icons when you come back into your account. However your open Finder window shows partly on left side on your screen. Drag it to the middle and navigate to Applications -> System Preferences. Grab Preferences Window and select Displays. There are two displays (yes, its weird!), the smaller one is on the upper left and totally useless. Drag the white Menu-Bar over to the right screen (this is the one you're working with) and click on Gather Windows. There is probably no way to get rid of the small display. I recommend to select the smallest screen-size for the "virtual display" (640x480) and place it on the top right corner of the "real display", so you won't get lost in there with the mouse cursor.

Run OSx86Tools and enable Quartz GL. Reboot and you're done.

Things NOT working:

Sleep

W-LAN (I will replace the RT2860 with a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT. Worked out of the box with my MSI Wind without any drivers.)

Nice system, see performance here: eeeBox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

On my EEE i'm using ipc boot 10.5.6

Using an external DVD drive

if I type cpus=1 at boot, it boots fine with APCI 2.0 disabled in the bios.

It boots fine until im presented with a black screen with the beach ball of death just spinning its was around and around in the top left corner of the screen never going anywhere else.

This same dvd copy boots perfectly in VMware on my macbook pro to the setup screen.

Got it to boot the DVD with a different DVD rom.

Chose all drivers from the 10.5.6 ipc install disc that closely match the Eee Box's hardware.

Installation successful!

Removed the DVD

Restart. Kernel loads.. booting. Apple Logo.. spinning... spinning...

still spinning.

spinning.

As soon as the apple logo boot screen comes up, the HD access light does not even light at all.

Hi all!

So it's seems it's not so difficult to install MacOSX on the EEEBOX. Because I'm just a beginner at this point I would like to know if the following is possible and maybe someone can give me a hint how to do it:

1) Because of creating an htpc using the eeebox I would like to have a dualboot system. First of all is this possible and how do I create this for scratch? Being able to start between MAC or Windows?

2) Is it possible to install Leopard from the iATKOS instead of using a DVD via an USB flash?

3) Once installed are you able to run Plex/Front Row and other applications correctly?

4) Did you manage to use some infra-red possibility to be able to use the Apple Remote too?

Regards,

Rafael

1) Because of creating an htpc using the eeebox I would like to have a dualboot system. First of all is this possible and how do I create this for scratch? Being able to start between MAC or Windows?

Yes! You can use directly Darwin to boot, if you use only Mac OS X and Windows XP. However, I use Grub for a triple boot (Windows XP, Mac OS X, Linux Ubuntu).

2) Is it possible to install Leopard from the iATKOS instead of using a DVD via an USB flash?

No! Because it's not a simple way... Instead, the usually DVD way it's so simple.

3) Once installed are you able to run Plex/Front Row and other applications correctly?

Yes!

Ok I have just to follow the guide from ratzfatz to be able to install Leopard on the EEEBOX. In which steps it differs installing it for creating a dual-boot system. Do I have to change something when the DVD is started?

The other question I have is if people succesfully have been able to use the Apple Remote on the EEEBOX and how did they manage that?

Or this also a patch for the sleep problem? Or do we have to wait for a kext file to be able to solve that?

Thanks guys for investigating this!!

Ok I have just to follow the guide from ratzfatz to be able to install Leopard on the EEEBOX. In which steps it differs installing it for creating a dual-boot system. Do I have to change something when the DVD is started?

No, you can follow the same steps. Keep in mind that the Leopard partition must be a primary partition and must come first of the extended/logical partitions!

Hi LaGuNa,

Thanks a lot for your information. It costed me some time but I have it installed now. It's working great indeed and have now a dual-boot Mac and Windows EEEBOX.

Two more questions I have:

1) Do you think there will be a fix for the sleep mode?

2) Which kind of device do I have to plug in to be able to use my Apple Remote as the EEEBOX doesn't support infrared directly?

Thanks for answering my questions already!!

Rafael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...