HP Compaq NX7400 both cores working!

radekge

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

I couldn't get both cores to work and had to boot with cpus=1.

Installed the Dell TSC Sync kernel - no difference.

Patched my dsdt (0 errors, 0 warnings), chameleon with dsdt override - usually boots into OS but hangs after a while.

Today, by an accident, I think I've found a solution! (kind of...)

I've booted with both cores enabled on battery power, started using the os, and as usual, after a while it hang (display freezes, unable to move the mouse).

Before shutting down I connected AC power to the laptop and... it started working again! It "un-hung" itself. Moreover, the battery icon came up and said that is it charging. Now it is charged, the battery icon is still there, saying that the laptop is charged and working on ac power.

I did a geekbench benchmark (both cores working), started playing a divx movie (it's still playing, for over 30 minutes now) and right now I'm still writing to you from MacOS with both cores enabled and IT WORKS.

So all you nx7400 owners, when your laptop hangs try to pull the ac plug out, put it in again etc.

Probably the final solution would be to properly patch the dsdt or to patch something in macos that i responsible for power management.

I know it is not a full solution but now when we know where the problem is maybe it will be easier to solve it :-)

---

Still works :-) Even when I tossed at the processor some heavy artillery (a 1080p .mkv movie), about 70-80% usage for both cores, no hang-ups.

I didn't restart yet so I don't know if I can pull off this trick for a second time :/ Doing a software update now, I'll restart in about 15 minutes then we'll see...

The only thing that doesn't work in this laptop now is the 3945 intel wi-fi :-)

---

ok, it works. I have to boot on battery power and then when it hangs switch to ac power. Both cores happily working then :-) Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way round. When I boot on ac power and it hangs switching to battery power doesn't solve the problem.

I hope someone will find a solution to this....

Hello,

Patched my dsdt (0 errors, 0 warnings), chameleon with dsdt override - usually boots into OS but hangs after a while.

I've booted with both cores enabled on battery power, started using the os, and as usual, after a while it hang (display freezes, unable to move the mouse).

Before shutting down I connected AC power to the laptop and... it started working again! It "un-hung" itself. Moreover, the battery icon came up and said that is it charging. Now it is charged, the battery icon is still there, saying that the laptop is charged and working on ac power.

I did a geekbench benchmark (both cores working), started playing a divx movie (it's still playing, for over 30 minutes now) and right now I'm still writing to you from MacOS with both cores enabled and IT WORKS.

So all you nx7400 owners, when your laptop hangs try to pull the ac plug out, put it in again etc.

Probably the final solution would be to properly patch the dsdt or to patch something in macos that i responsible for power management.

I know it is not a full solution but now when we know where the problem is maybe it will be easier to solve it :-)

---

Still works :-) Even when I tossed at the processor some heavy artillery (a 1080p .mkv movie), about 70-80% usage for both cores, no hang-ups.

I didn't restart yet so I don't know if I can pull off this trick for a second time :/ Doing a software update now, I'll restart in about 15 minutes then we'll see...

---

ok, it works. I have to boot on battery power and then when it hangs switch to ac power. Both cores happily working then :-) Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way round. When I boot on ac power and it hangs switching to battery power doesn't solve the problem.

my nx7400 hangs randomly with both cores. i've managed to keep it stable for a couple of hours and full cpu usage.. but it would hang again on the next reboot.. i will try this power trick to see if it works.. thanx for the info.

i'd also appreciate any solutions to this problem :thumbsup_anim:

Hello,

---

---

Did you get the headphone jack to work?

"Did you get the headphone jack to work?"

I didn't even try, I'm using an usb soundcard (SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit External) anyway. Everything in it works.

"Well try putting it to sleep then waking it, this is what dell users did befor the tsc patch "

Doesn't work for me, only taking out the power cord and putting it back again.

Cores are working. But If I let them stress using CPU Stress utility system hangs and the only way is to hold power button or sell it out as non working solution. I'm looking forward for 6720S users like BlackCH who has working 2 cores and DUAL Extended. I use nx9420 and think to sell it cause spent 1,5 month of trying how to get 2 cores working.

• 1 month later...

On my HP nx7300 it worked 3 time. On the third time the cpu load was 100% and I was not even doing anything. The temp climbed too high so I had to restart. Back with only 1 core the cpu loads to 100% and I am only typing this reply. When I click on shutdown the temp goes down so I click on cancel. After a min or so the same thing appears. Strange thing is, my HD is also very hot even though the HF led is not blinking.

Ok, just saw what happened. Just before the CPU load goes to 100% the HD led blinks a few times as if something is accessing something on the HD. Maaaaaan I hope it's not a virus. Will shut down the laptop so it cools down and will see what happens then.

OK, been testing this method for two days so far and I have to say, it works without problems. Just some minor differences from what others may have experienced. I boot with the AC plug, and the system either hangs at the gray apple screen during boot or when I am already in the OS. In both cases, pulling the plug out for 3-5 sec. and then back in the computer unfreezes or continues to boot. After that it never froze again. Did a few updates, rebooted, used the same method, it worked every time (as far as I can remember). So, I am either lucky or I have done something else (editing some kext files as I have) or this is just the way to solve this problem. I don't know but this could be a powermanagement problem.

Something else I want to report is that my temp is also lower than before. If I boot with cpus=1 the temp is around 55C at idle and I am only using one core as a result of the flag. With this method it stays at around 46-47C and both cores are used.

• 2 months later...

F&%#ing amazing!

I was very skeptical about this method, but: turned on my nx7300 (t7200 c2d cpu) Leopard 10.5.6 and followed the instructions --> it worked!!!

thanks!

btw: still to be resolved: iwi3945 and no mic/headphones on ad1981hd.

[EDIT]

Correction: it worked a couple of times and now even this doesn't work. so back to the drawing board

Correction (2): the method works, except that on my computer it doesn't necessarily hand before the battery dies and there are some hangs (freezes) from which the computer doesn't recover. maybe someone with more knowledge should take a look into why this is. it seems very curious that something as simple as this makes the system stable.

Correction (3): it works sporadically. sometimes it hangs and I can continue once I connect the power cord. sometimes it doesn't. sometimes I end up rebooting a few times before it hangs the proper way...

• 11 months later...
Hello,

---

---

HP NX7400 works with 2 CORES and Snow Leopard.See following topic:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1442584