Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

July 6, 2009, this guide has been moved to: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173651

This guide assumes that you have some advanced knowledge.

This guide is not intended to patch, update, or install on top of any distros such as Kaly, Atikos etc. This guide will help you install a full retail OSX version on another HD/Volume. It may only work with a real retail OSX DVD/Image. It is also necessary to have two HD's installed. It will work with one, if you know what you are doing.

The only thing you need Kalyway etc for is to have a platform to install from.

This is for the: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (rev. 1.0) Bios version F7, and F8 Motherboard, I cannot verify this will work for any other board.

Kexts, and software were all found on this forum, so remember to give back to this board by sharing.

Also thanks to all who posted guides and solutions, I am not a genius.

You should use a USB mouse, and keyboard to prevent loss of control. I did not test with a PS2 setup.

I used the Netgear GA311 Ethernet Adapter

and it works 100% OOB, all the time on every install, no problems. Don't waste your time on the onboard ethernet, just trust me and disable it. It will get on the net, but bonjour etc will not work reliably.

I used the SYBA SD-VIA-FW1E1H firewire card

and it works 100% OOB.

My bios settings that worked: (version F7, and F8 will work I tested both)

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5

Photo #6

Photo #7

Let me know of any mistakes that I may have made in my own bios settings. The settings in the photos work fine for me.

10.5.6 retail install guide with all necessary files, kexts, and instructions:

=====> Download here

Notes for 10.5.6:

Known software issues:

* Silverlight thinks it's a power PC, solution: remove version check script - Download here

* Updating to Quicktime 7.6 creates mouse jitters etc in some video cards, mainly the 8800GT chipset. I fixed the 7.6 Quicktime update problem by flashing the ROM in my 8800GT video card with a real MacPro ROM. Here are the instructions, and the guide. I included the two roms that are out there, you can try both. I have two PC's with different 8800GT cards, the 3D worked on one card, and the 2D3D worked on the other. Do not remove the strings in the EFI for your card, they are still needed. The link for the original thread is in the guide.

Known hardware issues:

* I highly recommend building your Hackintosh with the 8800GT video card, because a real MacPro has this card, and Quicktime problems that have popped up are solved with this card. See the flashing guide just above here.

* the sound solution included provides 2 channel stereo, 5.1 surround hasn't been entirely solved for this board, still a bit flakey. With the solution provided, the front and back panel work for output, the microphone only works via the back panel. Let us know if you have 100% working surround for this board.

* sleep shuts down the PC, let me know if anyone solves this

* shutdown works, but not every time, sometimes the fan and case light stay on. Just hold down the power button to turn off - no big deal. Here is a the fix: Download 10.5.6 shutdown fix

10.5.5 to 10.5.6 upgrade guide

=====> Download here

10.5.5 retail install guide with all necessary files, kexts, and instructions:

=====> Download here

Notes for 10.5.5

Known issues:

* unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 - here is a fix:

fixed CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

by doing this:

This workaround will help you to remove the "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35" error.

1.) BACKUP your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

2.) Open /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

3.) ADD AFTER <string>Ethernet</string></dict> the following:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en3</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

4.) IF you have more than 3 interfaces or there is an "en3" interface change it to "en4" or a higher number, don't forget to change this "<integer>3</integer>" to "<integer>4</integer>".

5.) You need to REBOOT

Why does this error happen?

Well at looking at the source code of the configd there is a plugin "InterfaceNamer" it seams the plugin will always skip interfaces

that are IOBuiltin = false. The "<key>IOBuiltin</key>" cannot be changed because the plugin will check and restore it on next boot.

But it does not check if wireless interfaces <key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key><string>IEEE80211</string> are IOBuiltin.

Like I say this is only a workaround and there will be more need of testing.

----Alternate Sound install (for 10.5.5 installs only, for 10.5.6 it is already included): Posted by another member: ØñÐr€j

Here's a AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for ALC888 on GA-EP45-DS3L. It only gives you 2-channel Output, no Input/Digital/Microphone. Make sure to remove AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, and ALCinject.kext. This kext has given me the best sound on this board. I tried many AppleHDA solutions, some would work and some would cause choppy sound or low-quality sound.

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

AppleHDA.zip

----End alternate sound install

Thank you so much for this guide! I'm buying this board later this week! One question though, how do you disable onboard ethernet and when did you buy your board. Since I'm going to buy mine this weekend I don't know if it'll come with the same bios version as yours.

Thank you so much for this guide! I'm buying this board later this week! One question though, how do you disable onboard ethernet and when did you buy your board. Since I'm going to buy mine this weekend I don't know if it'll come with the same bios version as yours.

Should be the same, I bought mine about 10 days ago. I have had two of these boards, and F7, and F8 bios both work. Onboard ethernet can be disabled in the bios. I will post my bios settings later today or tomorrow. My current board came from Amazon, with free shipping, and they have the best return policy...free shipping back.

I just gave the rig in my sig to my kids, so I will be building another one shortly. I may try a faster CPU, we'll see.

Hi,

Thanks for your guide and I finally finish my installation. However, the time machine can't function normally. It just prompt out and ask me to change the drive. Any idea on this issue? Please advise.

are you using SATA drives and have it set correctly... AHCI..?

are you using the EXACT same board?

First let me say, Great guide! Very thorough, easy to follow.

I am having issues with Time Machine as well. It worked initially, I set it to my external drive, but after a few reboots and connecting another SATA drive (selected to not back up) it is giving me a failed message. It seems similar to my problems with an older Kalyway install, on another machine.

I am also having a problem with my audio. The audio works, though right before a sound plays there is a pop. Would you know of a fix for that?

Thanks!

I am having issues with Time Machine as well. It worked initially, I set it to my external drive, but after a few reboots and connecting another SATA drive (selected to not back up) it is giving me a failed message. It seems similar to my problems with an older Kalyway install, on another machine.

I am also having a problem with my audio. The audio works, though right before a sound plays there is a pop. Would you know of a fix for that?

Thanks!

I posted a possible audio solution at the end of the guide.

Thanks!

Here is another idea: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=136531

i followed your guide for my EP45 DS3, wich is the same board except for the sound (889a)

Everything worked perfectly! Thank you.

I installed on the same Hd as the Kaly_base install.

so now i have to change the default Os in chameleon.

Do you have any idea to do that?

Hd0 Guid 3 part:

1-EFI

2-Kaly - Default

3-Vanilla

How to change default boot from part 2 to 3?

Thanks

You dont need dl and istall CHUD + Shutdownfix. Ist very old fashing workaround!

A lot better is Dl ony one .kext OpenHaltRestart.kext (from pystar.com, Open Source Download).

Yes you do. I tried this, from LS8, and got a panic. Do you have this exact board?

i followed your guide for my EP45 DS3, wich is the same board except for the sound (889a)

Everything worked perfectly! Thank you.

I installed on the same Hd as the Kaly_base install.

so now i have to change the default Os in chameleon.

Do you have any idea to do that?

Hd0 Guid 3 part:

1-EFI

2-Kaly - Default

3-Vanilla

How to change default boot from part 2 to 3?

Thanks

you need to set to active, and it should work. I understand that chameleon will look for the active partition:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

or try GParted, I think that is easy also: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

please post the working solution

With GA P35 DS3L - board, I don't have any problem with the onboard Ethernet, using 10.5.5 OSX Retail, installed with /Extra and some kexts, Efistudio and appropriate bootloader.

Robla

It will work, but those of us that have other real Macs on our Lan, they are not always seen using AFS, or bonjour. There is no disagreement that the onboard NIC will work on a stand alone machine. Do you have other Macs on your LAN?

With GA P35 DS3L - board, I don't have any problem with the onboard Ethernet, using 10.5.5 OSX Retail, installed with /Extra and some kexts, Efistudio and appropriate bootloader.

Robla

correction, I noticed that you don't have my same board, you have ep35, I have ep45, so it may work. This is intended to help the owners of the exact board in the title of this thread.

Thanks very much for the giveback.

Hi lensboard.

Thanks a lot for your exelent guide. Now I have Leo 10.5.5 installed from retail DVD. I have the same motherboard, but I still use onboard ethernet adapter with drivers from Realtek and I have no firewire card.

Installation was painless, exept one line in com.apple.boot.plist: <key>device-properties</key> - without this line I had no opportunity to load Leo with -x option. I didn't try Time Machine yet and it seems like everything is working just fine. Only one small pain in the ass left - error 35... This is small piece of a system.log:

Nov 19 18:11:47 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PreferenceSyncClient[1305]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:11:55 ep45-ds3l-val-kov backupd-helper[1306]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:12:20 ep45-ds3l-val-kov iCal Helper[1309]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:17:21 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1310]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:17:25 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1311]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:29:56 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1316]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:33:16 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1319]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:38:20 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1322]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:39:17 ep45-ds3l-val-kov quicklookd[1323]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:40:21 ep45-ds3l-val-kov quicklookd[1325]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:47:22 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1329]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:47:28 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1330]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 19:01:43 ep45-ds3l-val-kov ScreenSaverEngine[1338]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 19:03:19 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1339]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 19:08:22 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1342]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

In wich direction should I dig ? Need your help again... TIA

I posted a possible audio solution at the end of the guide.

Here is another idea: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=136531

I got Time Machine back up and running fine. I just had to repair permissions on all my drives, why I hadn't done it, I don't know.

The method in that link didn't seem to help me, it just lowered the overall volume of the sound but didn't remove the pop for me. The AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is an OK alternative until we can figure out a better fix. The pop of the sound engaging was driving me nuts. Thanks for your help!

I got Time Machine back up and running fine. I just had to repair permissions on all my drives, why I hadn't done it, I don't know.

The method in that link didn't seem to help me, it just lowered the overall volume of the sound but didn't remove the pop for me. The AppleAzaliaAudio.kext is an OK alternative until we can figure out a better fix. The pop of the sound engaging was driving me nuts. Thanks for your help!

I am buying another board to experiment with, cuz the other one is being used by my kids. I will experiment with the sound fix as well.

So the azalia fix is good in the meantime?

Hi lensboard.

Thanks a lot for your exelent guide. Now I have Leo 10.5.5 installed from retail DVD. I have the same motherboard, but I still use onboard ethernet adapter with drivers from Realtek and I have no firewire card.

Installation was painless, exept one line in com.apple.boot.plist: <key>device-properties</key> - without this line I had no opportunity to load Leo with -x option. I didn't try Time Machine yet and it seems like everything is working just fine. Only one small pain in the ass left - error 35... This is small piece of a system.log:

Nov 19 18:11:47 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PreferenceSyncClient[1305]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:11:55 ep45-ds3l-val-kov backupd-helper[1306]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:12:20 ep45-ds3l-val-kov iCal Helper[1309]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:17:21 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1310]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:17:25 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1311]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:29:56 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1316]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:33:16 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1319]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:38:20 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1322]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:39:17 ep45-ds3l-val-kov quicklookd[1323]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:40:21 ep45-ds3l-val-kov quicklookd[1325]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:47:22 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1329]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 18:47:28 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1330]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 19:01:43 ep45-ds3l-val-kov ScreenSaverEngine[1338]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 19:03:19 ep45-ds3l-val-kov PubSubAgent[1339]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Nov 19 19:08:22 ep45-ds3l-val-kov mdworker[1342]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

In wich direction should I dig ? Need your help again... TIA

I am seeing the same thing, didn't even notice.

Try this end let us know:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,83...761.html#msg761

This has good explanation, you need to change the en"x" to the number of ethernet adapters you have +1

http://sneosx86.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...around-fix.html

I tried this, and the errors cleared up. I restored my original pref file, because my kids use this machine, and I dont want any calls at work complaining that the computer doesnt work, but it appears to work if someone can test this better.

we need to find out, so I can add it to the guide.

I will be messing around with sound alternatives as well. My method works fine for me, but some folks are bothered by the sound noise it makes when kicking on.

Thank you for this excellent guide. I just purchased all of my components from Newegg yesterday so now I get to do the waiting game.

I bought this exact same board, GA-EP45-DS3L, so this guide looks awesome. One of the reasons I bought that board is because of its popularity. I am not interested in re-inventing the wheel but utilizing the knowledge gained and shared by others.

I also purchased a similar video card: EVGA 512-P3-N980-AR GeForce 9800 GT Hybrid Power 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

So here's my question. I am curious your opinion between your method and the Boot 132 Loaders found here and here.

With your method, can I upgrade using "Software Update" in the future?

Which boots up fastest?

Which is most stable and compatible?

If the Boot 132 Loader option is good, are the kexts I need essentially the ones in your install package?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm trying to get the install right the first time.

Thank you for this excellent guide. I just purchased all of my components from Newegg yesterday so now I get to do the waiting game.

I bought this exact same board, GA-EP45-DS3L, so this guide looks awesome. One of the reasons I bought that board is because of its popularity. I am not interested in re-inventing the wheel but utilizing the knowledge gained and shared by others.

I also purchased a similar video card: EVGA 512-P3-N980-AR GeForce 9800 GT Hybrid Power 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

So here's my question. I am curious your opinion between your method and the Boot 132 Loaders found here and here.

With your method, can I upgrade using "Software Update" in the future?

Which boots up fastest?

Which is most stable and compatible?

If the Boot 132 Loader option is good, are the kexts I need essentially the ones in your install package?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm trying to get the install right the first time.

I haven't tried the 132 boot loader, and between you and me, you will install/reinstall at least 5 to 10 times. You need to do what you like the best. I have posted what I think is best. Yes you can run software update, I ran all the updates up to today. You just cant run the version updates without testing etc.

Thank you for the reply. I don't have an opinion of what I like best - I've only done a simple Kalyway 10.5.2 install, proved it worked, and then ordered all new parts.

I thought with the bootloader and the Vanilla kernel you could update the OS with Software Update because the bootloader tricked the OS into thinking it was official. Again, I'm not 100% clear but that would be desirable.

I'm also not sure what you meant by having to install/reinstall 5-10 times. I'm hoping to educate and prepare myself enough to only do it once.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Thank you for the reply. I don't have an opinion of what I like best - I've only done a simple Kalyway 10.5.2 install, proved it worked, and then ordered all new parts.

I thought with the bootloader and the Vanilla kernel you could update the OS with Software Update because the bootloader tricked the OS into thinking it was official. Again, I'm not 100% clear but that would be desirable.

I'm also not sure what you meant by having to install/reinstall 5-10 times. I'm hoping to educate and prepare myself enough to only do it once.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Most enthusiasts install many times because they like to try different things, and end up learning in the process. To me it is not a chore to reinstall, it is a learning experience. I keep two or three drives hooked up, so I can use one drive as a main working drive, and the others to test updates, and try new install methods.

Hi, lensboard.

Thanks a lot again, no more Error 35... Since I have only one ethernet card - en0, I add this:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/

IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

</dict>

to NetworkInterfaces.plist, and all errors gone. Maybe somebody else will try this, and if it will work, you can add it to your guide.

Hi, lensboard.

Thanks a lot again, no more Error 35... Since I have only one ethernet card - en0, I add this:

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/

IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO80211Interface</string>

</dict>

to NetworkInterfaces.plist, and all errors gone. Maybe somebody else will try this, and if it will work, you can add it to your guide.

:smoke:

Lensboard thanks again for the guide, I bought this board after reading it but I'm having some problems. I type:

cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages"
exactly as it appears in your guide and Terminal says "no such file or directory" I've tried typing it a number of different ways and I'm really stuck. Please help!

Lensboard thanks again for the guide, I bought this board after reading it but I'm having some problems. I type: exactly as it appears in your guide and Terminal says "no such file or directory" I've tried typing it a number of different ways and I'm really stuck. Please help!

try typing just cd then a space

then drag the disk, or image to the terminal window, and it will fill in the path by itself.

Make sure your image is named Mac OS X Install DVD

I just tried it with a real retail disk, and it works fine. It will also work with an image as long as it has the same name as the volume in the command.

3058419251_7ec7b77e57_o.png

Thanks for the help but it's still not working for me. The path on the disk looks different. Maybe it's because I'm using my old 10.5 retail disk from when it first came out? Maybe I should buy a new Retail disk for 10.5.4?

You just need to change the directory to the volume of your install disk, and the directory as noted. Maybe enable hidden files, then use the GUI to navigate to the file OSInstall.mpkg needed to install. Beyond that there is nothing else I can think of.

There is only one name for a retail DVD.

This is somewhat advanced in nature, terminal commands can be learned in a number of places on line...good luck !!