iDeneb 1.3 on a Dell 640m - Black Screen on boot

MacRockz

15 posts in this topic

Hi I'm new to this forum, but I do follow it for a while.

I must say. You guys do an amazing job here.

I recently tried to install iDeneb 1.3 on my Dell 640m.

After successful installation, my notebook wont startup. First there is the typical blue screen and shortly after that a black screen. It doesn't reboot - nothing happens.

During startup it says several times:

VID:family specific matching fails

VID2:family specific matching fails

My Dell has an Intel GMA945 Graphic Card.

After that I tried to uncheck the GMA950/GMA945 driver during install. That doesn't work out well either.

I tried to plugin a vga monitor during boot, but that doesn't do the job either.

I hope you can help me.

MacRockz

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I tried it with the video Kext and without it.

It's really odd. Because installation runs smoothly as mentioned above!

I have the same problem though with a Dell Latitude D620 w/ Intel GMA 950. I have noticed some interesting things about my problem though:

I load up iDeneb, 9.2.0 Sleep Kernel, and it goes blue for one second then goes black.. BUT.. if I wait until the machine hibernates (about 15 minutes) and the green power indicator begins pulsing on and off, I can then hit the power button and the machine will wake back up out of the "black screen". The problem is that while the video returns, the keyboard and trackpad are not functioning so I end up having to restart anyway, only to have the same problem.

It gets WEIRDER!

One time and one time only I booted up and this time it went blue then black and then maybe 10 minutes after the black appeared (before it went into pulsating-light hibernate mode) I hit the power key and it faded back in AND the track pad and keyboard were working. I was able to get through all of the registration screens and BAM I was into OS X, using it, setting it up, playing with the dock etc. However my ethernet was not working so I installed a Broadcom .kext. As I was going to reboot I held my breath wondering if I'd ever have the fortune of successfully booting back into OS X again.. I decided to take the chance and of course I can't get it to "wake up" successfully anymore. It was a one time fluke that allowed me to power it back up after the black screen and I have no idea what I did differently that time that I cannot reproduce.

SO all this being said, while I'm still trying to figure out what I did (bootup parameters if any) or how long I waited before hitting the power key, I am encouraged to have been able to successfully get past the black screen and into OS X.. I saw it with my own eyes, it was working.. I'm guessing this is some kind of a power management issue rather than a graphics driver issue.. So for those of you having this issue, try waiting 10 minutes then hitting your power key, or, wait until your laptop hibernates then hit the power key and see if it at least brings the video back. I'd love to figure this out.. soooo close to having this running...

bhawk

Okay so I was incorrect about the Power Management issue.. it did seem odd that I could "wake" the machine up and get it to work but I've got this issue resolved on a Dell D620 with Intel GMA 950 drivers.. running in native resolution.

The black screen is being caused by an incompatible AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext that ships with iDeneb 1.3. Here are the steps I used to get my video working:

1.) Install iDeneb with the "Intel GMA950" patch

2.) When the machine reboots, startup in single-user mode, "-s"

3.) When you get to the root prompt, mount the file system using mount -uw /

4.) Navigate to System > Library > Extensions

5.) Move all AppleIntelGMA* files, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext (if it exists) into a backup folder. You can do this with cp -R, then rm -R to remove them after the copy. *DO NOT REMOVE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" on accident.. it's not a graphics driver.

7.) Reboot and the black screen should no longer occur, however your resolution may be weird and you won't have native GMA acceleration.

8.) In order to get full resolution for my D620 I burned a copy of the Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD DVD. I used Pacifist to extract the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the "Graphics Drivers" package on the DVD (*not* the one in EssentialSystemSoftware.pkg). The version of this kext is 1.4.20. Use KextHelper to install this kext.

9.) The torrent of Kalyway I found has a copy of Natit.kext alongside the .iso that it says to install. I used this Natit.kext. After installing these two kexts I reinstalled the AppleIntelGMA950* files that I'd backed up earlier, the 4 files to use are: AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin,AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle,AppleIntelGMA950VADriv

r.bundle. Using those 4 files along with the 2 kexts from Kalyway allowed me to have perfect native resolution and graphics acceleration on my Dell Latitude D620. No more black screen!!!!!

hope this solves the issue for you guys too.. this is working so well I plan on buying OS X Leopard retail tomorrow to support Apple.. everyone else should do the same if they can get OSx86 working..

• 2 months later...
Okay so I was incorrect about the Power Management issue.. it did seem odd that I could "wake" the machine up and get it to work but I've got this issue resolved on a Dell D620 with Intel GMA 950 drivers.. running in native resolution.

The black screen is being caused by an incompatible AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext that ships with iDeneb 1.3. Here are the steps I used to get my video working:

5.) Move all AppleIntelGMA* files, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext (if it exists) into a backup folder. You can do this with cp -R, then rm -R to remove them after the copy. *DO NOT REMOVE AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" on accident.. it's not a graphics driver.

7.) Reboot and the black screen should no longer occur, however your resolution may be weird and you won't have native GMA acceleration.

8.) In order to get full resolution for my D620 I burned a copy of the Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD DVD. I used Pacifist to extract the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the "Graphics Drivers" package on the DVD (*not* the one in EssentialSystemSoftware.pkg). The version of this kext is 1.4.20. Use KextHelper to install this kext.

9.) The torrent of Kalyway I found has a copy of Natit.kext alongside the .iso that it says to install. I used this Natit.kext. After installing these two kexts I reinstalled the AppleIntelGMA950* files that I'd backed up earlier, the 4 files to use are: AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin,AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle,AppleIntelGMA950VADriv

r.bundle. Using those 4 files along with the 2 kexts from Kalyway allowed me to have perfect native resolution and graphics acceleration on my Dell Latitude D620. No more black screen!!!!!

hope this solves the issue for you guys too.. this is working so well I plan on buying OS X Leopard retail tomorrow to support Apple.. everyone else should do the same if they can get OSx86 working..

could you specify the steps move specific im a noob i mean the steps in how to move the files

Thanks Intelben, this works like a charm!.

I used the same method to copy the Broadcom440x ethernet driver from Kalyway DVD into IONetworkFamily.kext plugins folder.

• 1 month later...

Thank you intelben. It indeed worked on my Inspiron 6400 with Intel GMA950.

could you specify the steps move specific im a noob i mean the steps in how to move the files

I'll explain the steps in detail for those who need them. I'm also attaching the required kexts in a zip file which you can install using KextHelper. Please follow these steps.

0. Download the attachment and save to a partition that is accessible from OS X in single user mode (basically use a partition on the same drive as OS X).

1. During first boot press any key to give kernel options. Use -s to boot into single user mode (command prompt).

2. When at the command prompt, type:

mount -uw /

to mount the file system with read-write access.

3. Goto Extensions folder and remove the undesired kexts:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -R AppleIntelGMA*

rm -R AppleIntelintegratedFramebuffer.kext

rm -R Natit.kext

(Use 'ls AppleIntel* to get a listing of the required files to get the correct spelling or use 'tab' key to complete commands)

4. Now exit to the GUI (Aqua) by typing 'exit' and pressing enter.

5. When in Aqua, use Finder to navigate to kalyKexts.zip and extract the contents to any folder you like.

6. Drag and Drop all extracted kexts onto the KextHelper and tell it to 'Easy Install'.

7. Just like it says, 'Cross your fingers and reboot' :). You're hopefully done with optimum resolution and native acceleration.

Note 1: The attached zip file contains AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and Natit.kext from Kalyway and the AppleIntelGMA*.* files from iDeneb installation as indicated above.

Note 2: I haven't tried just removing the AppleIntelintegratedFramebuffer.kext from installation and re-installing it from Kalyway. It alone might do the trick, as there seems to be a spelling (case) difference in the files from the two OS X versions.

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (Kalyway)

AppleIntelintegratedFramebuffer.kext (iDeneb).

Hope it helps.

kalyKexts.zip

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how to work around this "black screen" problem when booting from an install disc? A lot of recent ones (iPC, iATKOS, etc.) have the GMA950 drivers loading for the install. Obviously booting with -s and rm-ing the kexts doesn't work, as the DVD is read-only. Perhaps loading a replacement kext tha doesn't cause black screen?

Does anyone know how to work around this "black screen" problem when booting from an install disc? A lot of recent ones (iPC, iATKOS, etc.) have the GMA950 drivers loading for the install. Obviously booting with -s and rm-ing the kexts doesn't work, as the DVD is read-only. Perhaps loading a replacement kext tha doesn't cause black screen?

I'm not sure, but have you tried booting into safe mode. Hopefully this won't load GMA drivers. would it affect the installation in any other way?

• 8 months later...
Does anyone know how to do step 0?!?!?!? Please help!! Ive been dealing with this stupid black screen forever, and i think this will work. I just dont know how to do step 0!!!! Please!

The problem is with the AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext version that comes on that DVD; it's not compatible with the GMA950 in your Dell.

Try iATKOS 7. Or, if you want, I have a method for installing Snow Leopard over at my blog: http://bit.ly/cC7LsV

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to add a note for anyone else experiencing this with an AGP NVidia card and iDeneb 1.3. I got the same symptom of a momentary blue screen, then a black screen when the login window appeared. Safe mode seemed to work fine, but of course we all want QE/CI. I booted a couple of times with the -v kernel option. One line popped out at me:

AGP: Setting 08 data rate

I happen to know my old clunker of a Dell has an AGP 4x slot. So I removed AGPGart.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, rebooted in normal mode and rebuilt my kext cache. Sure enough I got a login window. When I checked my Graphics properties, it showed I had full QE/CI as well as the full VRAM on my card (128MB in my case.)

This is strange since the iDeneb installer clearly states that AGPGart is required for AGP systems. But NVinject seems to have set everything up properly anyway.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but iDeneb 1.3 seems to still be popular in some circles, so I thought I'd post my fix.