Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

I know it's too early to tell, but what are peoples guesses as fas as these mobos/CPUs working with OSX86?

Gigabyte has a couple of X58 mobos that have me salivating & the lowest-priced Core i7 will be about $350:

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=22358

• 2 weeks later...

Same. I had a look on the specs of the Asus P6T, seems to be promising if the CPU plays the same game. Intel ICH10R with ad2000b (Sound out is possible) and some marvell 88E8056 eth controller. Idk about the CPU, its kinda different then core2duo so osx might not work, maybe kernel panik, dont know.

we just got to wait until the real realease of those snazzy new cpus :)

NewEgg now has RAM, CPUs & Mobos.

Config I'm looking at:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 - $299

i7 920 - $320

G.Skill 6GB RAM Kit - $280

TOTAL - $899

OUCH! :)

Mobos start at about $220. Which for a high end mobo, is not bad at all. The only reason why mobos that supported the core 2 duo were already in the $100 or so price range, was because Intel didn't introduce a new socket or platform. Where as with this, a new socket, plus support for new memory which hasen't hit low prices yet. The memory is one of the biggest reasons why lga775 and mobos all around are so cheap right now. It'll be awhile before this socket becomes easier and cheaper to manufactor.

Plus, you have to figure. SLI, and Crossfire stock. No modding needed, any x58 platform has 2 pcie2.0 slots.

NewEgg now has RAM, CPUs & Mobos.

Config I'm looking at:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 - $299

i7 920 - $320

G.Skill 6GB RAM Kit - $280

TOTAL - $899

OUCH! :P

That is not bad, many of us recycle our old case, power supply, and drives. A 9800GTX+ is under $200 (USD) now. so for ~$1100 you can have the latest board and processor. However, I would personally wait. I do not run Windows or Linux so I need compatibility with Mac OS. Plus pricing will be dropping soon enough.

yeah, it all seems too iffy for me at this point

we still dont have anything beyond rumors that apple will adopt the core i7 over one of the other new chips slated to be launched in 2009.

core i7 seems too pricy for the iMac lineup, and thus far apple has used workstation processors for the lineup of mac pros

will be interesting to see how it all comes together, and what route apple takes

I'm going to go out on a limb here & guess that the new Core i7 CPUs won't be recognized yet by 10.5.5.

Probably have to wait until Apple release Mac Pros that have i7 based Xeons or iMacs with i7s that have updated version of OS X.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & guess that the new Core i7 CPUs won't be recognized yet by 10.5.5.

Probably have to wait until Apple release Mac Pros that have i7 based Xeons or iMacs with i7s that have updated version of OS X.

agreed

What exactly prevents us from using osx86 on i7? The instruction set is the same (or a superset). Problem is probably chipset drivers. i7 requires at least X58 chipset. You can install old XP on i7... if you have the chipset driver. Do we really have to wait for Apple, for Macworld expo in January... or even WWDC in June... to use osx86 on i7/X58?

Ordered this yesterday:

Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

12GB DDR3 1333MHz (6*2GB)

1TB Samsung F1

Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB (still not supported?)

LG W3000H 30-inch LCD

I am going to run Vista 64-bit on it for now, but I could try installing OSX for kicks, QE/CI is only limited by the graphics card, right?

Well guys, if someone is up to guide me, I'll try when I get my new rig assembled.

I would recommend a 9800 GTX board for graphics it's now officially supported with 10.5.5 thanks to the new laptop updates or if you really want ATI then a 3870

Ordered this yesterday:

Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

1TB Samsung F1

LG W3000H 30-inch LCD

I am going to run Vista 64-bit on it for now, but I could try installing OSX for kicks, QE/CI is only limited by the graphics card, right?

Well guys, if someone is up to guide me, I'll try when I get my new rig assembled.

Well, regarding the 4870: This pc is not intended for OSX, and therefore I won´t buy an other graphics card. The fact that ATi´s drivers already is incorporating OpenCL-support should be promising enough...

While I find OSX to be a good alternative to Windows Vista on mobile platforms (I own both iPhone and Powerbook G4 12-inch), I am not sure on the desktop platform. I find the features I like with OSX to be too buggy for serious work. Example: Exposé/Spaces combined with Microsoft Office 2004/2008, Macromedia Fireworks 8 and so on. I need to be able to do my work without having to wrestle with my computer to have it to stay in the workspace I´m using OR spending multiple hours trying to fix errors Apple should have fixed a long time ago. Using the same amount of money on a card that performs worse in games now, and will perform worse in OpenCL later on (4870 has 1,2TFLOPS computing power...), just isn´t an option for a student like me. I´d like to have full OSX support, but then again: Only if it doesn´t come with too big sacrifices, and if I can´t cope with Vista/Win7 in the event the 4870 never gets drivers, I´ll just head out and pick up a HD2600PRO for $25... However, I really like much of the stuff OSX brings to the table, just so we are clear. I wouldn´t be spending time on Insanelymac if not, would I?

Anyway: This is not the discussion now, we want to find out whether or not EX58/i7 runs OSX properly, don´t we?

Anyway: This is not the discussion now, we want to find out whether or not EX58/i7 runs OSX properly, don´t we?
Exactly :D

The 4870 will run OS X just fine for now, without acceleration.

There's a good chance the 4870 will work perfectly in the future with OS X anyway, so go for it! You're breaking new ground!

Ordered this yesterday:

Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD5

1TB Samsung F1

LG W3000H 30-inch LCD

Lol someone spent a few grand

I don't know how we got on this spin, the price of the i7 is very reasonable compared to the last couple Decembers when Intel only launched the EE versions of their new CPUs for $1000. Chill.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/new...ailywibble-2008 "Steven at Legion Hardware is knee-deep in Core i7 overclocking. The thing about the Core i7 is that it introduces a whole new set of variables to consider while overclocking, but Steven would have none of that and marched on to the 4GHz barrier with the i7 965EE, and a more impressive 3.8GHz with the i7 920... lots of value in that last one, we guess. Give it a read.

http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=790 "With a few easy steps, which we will show you shortly, it was possible to push the Core i7 920 processor to a remarkable frequency of 3.80GHz, an impressive 43% overclock. This 1140MHz boost in clock frequency per-core will naturally have a profound impact on performance, and this is what we want to show you. The Core i7 965 Extreme Edition processor was a little less impressive, going from an already high 3.20GHz clock frequency to 4.0GHz, achieving a 25% overclock."

So, the i7 920 is 40% more powerful per clock cycle. And it overclocks 40%. Do the math (1.4 x 1.4) and its basically twice as powerful as the old line, and it costs $300. Its out, the price is fair (OK, except for the RAM), and it overclocks nicely. Only question is...

...is what? ^^

Yeah, the MB and RAM is pricey, especially here in Norway after the Norwegian Krone (NOK) plunged against Euro and USD... Think the setup cost about USD3300 (with cabinet, mouse, keyboard etc.)

Do anyone have opinions of how far I should be able to clock the 920 on boxed cooler? I am considering to go with the Noctua-something for LGA1366 later on, but it would be interesting to know what to expect.

Status update on receiving HW:

- CPU is ready to pick up at the postal office

- Monitor and MB: Still in transit, MB possible ready to pick up tomorrow

- The rest: Not sent yet, will call tomorrow to find out what´s happening.