Using Sonix driver with Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 and others

frantisheq

89 posts in this topic

Finally got my VX-6000 working with Skype, iChat (using iUSBCam) and QuickTime. All you need to do is download "SN9C202 (Phase out)" driver from Sonix , install it and edit /Library/QuickTime/Sonix SN9C201 WebCam.component/Contents/Info.plist . There are some dots but better than nothing. Take a look at the pic.

post-96681-1223244188_thumb.jpg

post-96681-1223244198_thumb.jpg

A little HOWTO.

Finally got my VX-6000 working with Skype, iChat (using iUSBCam) and QuickTime. All you need to do is download "SN9C202 (Phase out)" driver from Sonix , install it and edit /Library/QuickTime/Sonix SN9C201 WebCam.component/Contents/Info.plist . There are some dots but better than nothing. Take a look at the pic.

post-96681-1223244188_thumb.jpg

post-96681-1223244198_thumb.jpg

What did you change? Both pics are displaying the same information. Do you get this information from the System Preferences?

What did you change? Both pics are displaying the same information. Do you get this information from the System Preferences?

well these pics were made after i edited the file. just open original file after you install it and compare it to the pics and you'll see the difference. device and vendor id's are hex converted to dec (microsoft has 0x045e in hex and lifecam is 0x00f4) just take a look at http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php and i knew which one sonix id to change to microsoft thx to Microdia driver for linux

go to http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/family.do?f=3

click on SN9C202 (Phase out)

this will take you to another page where you can find SN9C201/202_v1.01.0001_MacOSX (1790KB) undel big "Downloads" on right side. i'm using safari.

or maybe just use this http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/download.do?d=1989,2

One question. How do you install the drivers from sonix ?

Because when i download it i got a file called SONIX.

But there is no extension.

if you download driver from sonix you'll get quicktime component and WebCam Monitor.app

maybe all you need is patched quicktime component but i haven't tried that

go to http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/family.do?f=3

click on SN9C202 (Phase out)

this will take you to another page where you can find SN9C201/202_v1.01.0001_MacOSX (1790KB) undel big "Downloads" on right side. i'm using safari.

or maybe just use this http://www.sonix.com.tw/sonix/download.do?d=1989,2

if you download driver from sonix you'll get quicktime component and WebCam Monitor.app

maybe all you need is patched quicktime component but i haven't tried that

hello frantisheq . i've tried ur method . my cam is buit in . and it's hp webcam here is the info.

Version: 6.04

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.

Product ID: 0xb016

Serial Number: SN0001

Vendor ID: 0x04f2

i installed the sonix driver . and webcam monitor does work . i just need to change fram setting to less then 5 each time i wanna use the webcam monitor program. i did installed the patch you provided. but for my cam i searched everywhere i couldn't find bringe + sensor combination. so i just picked HV7131R which i think it was a close call. i added the Ven and product id to HV7131R webcam saved plist and everything was ok. and when i clicked ichat . the iusb showed a new webcam detected. with this name HV7131R webcam. but when i tried turning the cam on in ichat . it didn't turn on the cam's light or it didn't turn the cam on at all. although it does turn on when i'm using the webcam monitor application from sonix. so i don't know, if you can give any advice i'll appreciate it. and sorry i typed to much.

oh one more thing . did you try macam . if you look inside macam source package which comes with the installation. inside a folder called cameras . you'll see all the supported drivers and a file called example.m . that file shows how to add ven and product id . i tried doing it but it got a bit confusing so i stopped .

note: my cam works in yahoo and a couple of other programs. like murcary for msn messenger. and camtwist .

sorry can't help you but maybe it's because it is built in. i think that iUSBCam works only for USB cams. but on my acer laptop builtin webcam is shown as USB device so it should work i don't know. and i was playing with macam but it was giving me something like USB communication problem so no use.

hello frantisheq . i've tried ur method . my cam is buit in . and it's hp webcam here is the info.

Version: 6.04

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.

Product ID: 0xb016

Serial Number: SN0001

Vendor ID: 0x04f2

i installed the sonix driver . and webcam monitor does work . i just need to change fram setting to less then 5 each time i wanna use the webcam monitor program. i did installed the patch you provided. but for my cam i searched everywhere i couldn't find bringe + sensor combination. so i just picked HV7131R which i think it was a close call. i added the Ven and product id to HV7131R webcam saved plist and everything was ok. and when i clicked ichat . the iusb showed a new webcam detected. with this name HV7131R webcam. but when i tried turning the cam on in ichat . it didn't turn on the cam's light or it didn't turn the cam on at all. although it does turn on when i'm using the webcam monitor application from sonix. so i don't know, if you can give any advice i'll appreciate it. and sorry i typed to much.

oh one more thing . did you try macam . if you look inside macam source package which comes with the installation. inside a folder called cameras . you'll see all the supported drivers and a file called example.m . that file shows how to add ven and product id . i tried doing it but it got a bit confusing so i stopped .

note: my cam works in yahoo and a couple of other programs. like murcary for msn messenger. and camtwist .

if you have used SN9C201+HV7131R maybe you should try SN9C202+HV7131R. or vice versa.

don't forget to change device id you have used before

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Frantisheq (or anyone else actually)

Do you know if and how I can change the VX-6000 settings that appear in the .plist where you change the

I need to change resolution and white balance, tried a few settings but that didn't change a thing. Changing the Prod ID and vendor ID right there did make it work.

Thank you,

Pat

Hi Frantisheq (or anyone else actually)

Do you know if and how I can change the VX-6000 settings that appear in the .plist where you change the

I need to change resolution and white balance, tried a few settings but that didn't change a thing. Changing the Prod ID and vendor ID right there did make it work.

Thank you,

Pat

sorry can't help you with that

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

somewhat of a noob, but please forgive me if i sound it.

I must ditto a previous request regarding Microsoft's LifeCam VX-1000, i recently purchased it, due to the price and so far, not so good.

the cam is displaying a psychedelic strobe effect, which seems to die down (i've read about it elsewhere), also the picture is very grainy, and seems to be looked into a zoomed position.

I've tried different drivers but still the same effect.

any help, advice or suggestions would be great. I have read that there are solutions in progress for macam, so i may have to be patient, and i can understand that.

saddly i don't understand why there is such an issue with webcams and mac, considering the fact that other 'computer accessories' seem to not be as much of a problem.

thanks in advance.

hi,

somewhat of a noob, but please forgive me if i sound it.

I must ditto a previous request regarding Microsoft's LifeCam VX-1000, i recently purchased it, due to the price and so far, not so good.

the cam is displaying a psychedelic strobe effect, which seems to die down (i've read about it elsewhere), also the picture is very grainy, and seems to be looked into a zoomed position.

I've tried different drivers but still the same effect.

any help, advice or suggestions would be great. I have read that there are solutions in progress for macam, so i may have to be patient, and i can understand that.

saddly i don't understand why there is such an issue with webcams and mac, considering the fact that other 'computer accessories' seem to not be as much of a problem.

thanks in advance.

looks like it should work. i'll try to patch the driver for you if it's possible.

EDIT: VX-6000 is based on SN9C201 but VX-1000 is based on SN9C105R. anyway i'll try to fix the SN9C105R driver.

OK here it is. Not sure but it should work. VX-1000 is a combination of Sonix sn9c105r+OV7660 so first install Sonix SN9C102p driver

SN9C102p_Series_WebCam_Driver_OSX_1.01.0004.zip

and then extract the fixed quicktime component and put it in /Library/QuickTime. Overwrite the original one.

Sonix_SN9C102p_WebCam.component_fixed.zip

Let me know if it works and don't forget to delete macam component or any other driver that you have tried or it may conflict with this one.

hi, thanks for the fast reply.

i tried it and so far it still isn't working. results are the same.

i was wondering about conflicts, do i need to get rid of possible conflicting files off my computer, or just in the quick time folder?

i did have some flip4mac files in the Quick Time folder too, i moved them to desktop to get them out, but still no change.

i have been trying to figure out the driver issue for several hours now, since yesterday when i got the cam but i am a rookie.

i'm kind of surprised too, since i had better success in the past with a fairly older logitech cam which no longer works.

once the 'psychedelic' lighting tends to ease up, the picture is still really grainy, and is really sensitive to light.

i'm pretty sure i did everything right.

hi, thanks for the fast reply.

i tried it and so far it still isn't working. results are the same.

i was wondering about conflicts, do i need to get rid of possible conflicting files off my computer, or just in the quick time folder?

i did have some flip4mac files in the Quick Time folder too, i moved them to desktop to get them out, but still no change.

i have been trying to figure out the driver issue for several hours now, since yesterday when i got the cam but i am a rookie.

i'm kind of surprised too, since i had better success in the past with a fairly older logitech cam which no longer works.

once the 'psychedelic' lighting tends to ease up, the picture is still really grainy, and is really sensitive to light.

i'm pretty sure i did everything right.

Maybe it'll work as sn9c102+something :angel: i'll try tomorrow. Vx6000 should be sn9c202 but for me it only worked as sn9c201

hi,

still no luck on my end. I'll assume that there may be some fixes if and/or when a new version of macam comes out.

for the price of the cam (vx-1000) i got it at, i don't think i'll just return it, but i may try to get another cam for the meantime, depends tho, since i've seen most cams at/or above 40$ (can), i payed 20$ (can) for the vx-1000.

thanks again.

• 1 month later...
hi,

still no luck on my end. I'll assume that there may be some fixes if and/or when a new version of macam comes out.

for the price of the cam (vx-1000) i got it at, i don't think i'll just return it, but i may try to get another cam for the meantime, depends tho, since i've seen most cams at/or above 40$ (can), i payed 20$ (can) for the vx-1000.

thanks again.

I got my VX-1000 to work on my Mac OSX Leopard. Here are the steps:

1 Download the Sonix driver as stated above.

2 Install the driver as per instruction.

3 Open Library/Quicktime/Contents/Info.plist

4 Search for idproduct 24827.

5 Change idproduct to 247 and idvendor to 1118

6 Look for the <asicPSnsrPwrDnInv> key and change the value to 0

7 Save changes and close file

Make sure to delete macam or other drivers/components too.

Have fun!