Build a perfect very cheap quad core osx86 ($ 372)

c0rk007hck

8 posts in this topic

I am typing this message on my hachingtosh sooo :P cool!

Firts, buy a mainboard called the 'Gygabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Retail' (63 Dollars),

We use the Q6600 Processor, costs arround the 200 Dollars,

2 GB DD2 Ram 800 Mhz, thats for 42 Dollars.

Then, we use a power supply from 550Watt, the HKC USP-5550

Use hd, and core from your'e old machine, or buy them :)

Software

Once you've build the machine, you can install Leopard on it!

I've used the kalyway 10.5.1, and use MBR for 1 big partition (1 TB, Sata disk)

I picked some drivers for display,

Used azalia for audio, and Network n/a.

Both kernels, don't selected sse2 support, and here we go!

Compatibility

-Audio needs apple HDA patch for full audio support

-Internal video, lan (1 Gbs!!!), video (384MB), all the 4 cores (2,4Ghz), works out of the box!

Conclusion

My osx86 is much, much, much faster than My imac (24 inch, 2,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo), and the price is 7 times cheaper,

2-0 for osx86!

He did, but with the remaining cash he can buy more than just a graphic card, a 24 inch and a case...

anyway.. I consider osx86 to be half the price of a real mac when you build it yourself... half the price and you get more. let me just repeat what 3D mon (how do you do that square thing?) said:

"This is why I like hackintosh Twice as fast. Half the price"

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a decent existing AGP card (example: ATI X1K series, especially X1650PRO AGP, or HD 2000/3000 AGP), you can go with the ASRock 4CORE DualSATA and the same Q6600 and move everything else (the ASRock will take 2 GB of either DDR or DDR2, but not both at once). For the same reasons, the DualSATA makes a nice multi-boot board on the cheap. You can buy the motherboard and CPU together for less than $300 either from the Egg or even at most computer shows. I have a 1650PRO AGP that is known to work in Leo; only my CPU is somewhat lacking (P4 2.6C; okay but not exactly setting apps on fire).

I am typing this message on my hachingtosh sooo :( cool!

Firts, buy a mainboard called the 'Gygabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Retail' (63 Dollars),

We use the Q6600 Processor, costs arround the 200 Dollars,

2 GB DD2 Ram 800 Mhz, thats for 42 Dollars.

Then, we use a power supply from 550Watt, the HKC USP-5550

Use hd, and core from your'e old machine, or buy them ;)

Software

Once you've build the machine, you can install Leopard on it!

I've used the kalyway 10.5.1, and use MBR for 1 big partition (1 TB, Sata disk)

I picked some drivers for display,

Used azalia for audio, and Network n/a.

Both kernels, don't selected sse2 support, and here we go!

Compatibility

-Audio needs apple HDA patch for full audio support

-Internal video, lan (1 Gbs!!!), video (384MB), all the 4 cores (2,4Ghz), works out of the box!

Conclusion

My osx86 is much, much, much faster than My imac (24 inch, 2,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo), and the price is 7 times cheaper,

2-0 for osx86!

If you already have a decent AGP-bus machine (especially if you have an Athlon), you can minimize your swappage.

Start with the ASRock 4Core DualSATA 2.0 ($59.99 at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16813157115).

Add the Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (retail, of course, with the three year warranty; $189.99 at NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16819115017).

If you already have a decent 400W+ PSU, use it! (The ASRock does not require either 24-pin ATX or 8-pin EPS plugs; 20-pin ATX and standard 12V ATX power will do.)

The same applies to your DDR memory (especially if you have two 1 GB sticks), and AGP cards (the ASRock supports most AGP cards; it's PCIe cards that are short-listed).

The price for the two items before shipping: $249.98USD.

The AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 is a horrible board.

The VIA chipset will only allow one core to be used without your ethernet dropping over time.

A better board is the Gigabyte 945GCM-S2C. 100% compatible. It's perfect, and there are no issues at all.