Boot-132 Dual-Booting Retail Leopard & WinXP

42 posts in this topic

1] Check this thread about boot-132 loaders.

FRESH INSTALL

2] Download the image of my USB-Boot-132 Loader here. (Or better yet, follow this guide by stickpin.)

3] If you've followed the guide by stickpin, proceed to step 5. If not, borrow a computer with OSx86 or a real Apple one to modify the INITRD.IMG according to the needs of your motherboard & other devices. Just drag/drop any necessary kext(s).

4] Now open Disk Utility and restore the "BOOT132USB" to your USB-Flash Drive (at least 256MB capacity). Make sure you check the "Erase destination" option.

5] Follow this guide by llauqsd to prepare a self-booting (Retail) Leopard DVD Installer (boot-132 + retail leopard dvd installer into 1). But more importantly, the guide provides for installation in MBR partitions. Don't worry, the installer is still vanilla coz you're just "telling" it to recognize MBR partitions. ;)

6] Now that you have your USB-Boot-132 Loader & a (Retail) Leopard DVD Installer for MBR partitions, let's get the installation started.

7] Boot your (target) computer with your (Retail) Leopard DVD (MBR) Installer.

8] After the "Choose Installation Language", open Disk Utility. Make three (3) partitions. 1st partition for your WinXP, 2nd partition for your Boot-132 (size should be a little bigger than the capacity of your USB-Boot-132 Loader), then 3rd partition for your Leopard. Make sure they're MBR partitions. 1st & 2nd partitions should be MS-DOS (FAT) and 3rd partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

9] Reboot and replace Leopard installer with Win XP installer. We'll have to install WinXP first. When you're happy with your Win XP, let's install Leopard.

10] Now let's boot with your (Retail) Leopard DVD (MBR) Installer again. Then open Disk Utility again.

11] Plug-in your USB-Boot-132 Loader and restore it to the 2nd partition. Make sure you check the "Erase destination" option. When done, exit Disk Utility.

12] Proceed with the Leopard installation.

13] After successful installation, open Terminal application before your computer automatically restarts.

14] We now have to make the 2nd partition (your Boot-132 Loader) active. Enter the following in Terminal:

diskutil list (lists your computers Hard Disk(s) and corresponding partition(s): take note of the Hard Disk where you have the partitions for the Boot-132 and your newly installed Leopard)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (where 0 is the appropriate disk identifier)

f 2 (where 2 is the correct partition number for your Boot-132)

write

y

exit

15] Quit Terminal and reboot.

16] At reboot, make sure you remove the Leopard installer from the optical drive and if everything goes well, you'd be presented with the options of either booting Win XP or Leopard. ;)

17] Good luck and please post constructive feedbacks.

[EDIT: 15sept'08]

Changed download link for the usb-boot-132 clone. Still need to be advised to zip it to extremely reduce file size to just 11.8MB! :D Thanks STLVNUB. :D

[EDIT: 13sept'08]

Edited 1st post. Doing the partitions during Windows install makes a mess. Use Leopard Installer's Disk Utility instead.

So, this will just install the boot-132 onto a separate partition? Can it be located at the beginning of the drive? Also, which operating system would be the one that's chosen as default? As in, what is the choice defaulted to? I hope these questions make sense. >_>

yup. boot-132 resides in a small partition of your choice.

after boot-132 loaded, it is default to itself (or something like that). that's one of the reasons behind the partition sequence in the guide - selector highlights the 2nd partition (boot-132 partition), which, if u have 3 partitions, is in the middle. u press up arrow to select windows then down arrow for leopard. :)

Good guide, I'm going to use my new 10.5.4 disc to install with this method. Thanks.

tnx. hopefully there's someone who knows what can be added to boot-132 to "instruct" retail leopard installer to recognize mbr partitions. another thing, maybe there's a way to boot to optical drives from usb-boot-132? :D

Has anyone had any luck with the ASUS P5Q mobo (the new p45 chipset) using this or any other guide?

I can boot ok CD, or USB, Retail DVD loads up to background load with spinning beach ball.....then hangs...ball moves with mouse.

Other hardware is in sig, and running 10.5.5 updated from iATKOS 10.5.4 as Vanilla as I can get.

I have tried GForce 7300gs card also, along with all the boot flags I know of.

This is not a huge deal, but I am icon8.gif of those of you able to run retail.

Kenny

HI

an old osx86 member lover here.

I got osx86 (tiger and leo) running on laptop and desktop (ds4 as my signature) as well; Now I'm very interested on give a go with this new method so ,

I'd like to know if anyone of u seen any improvements with usability or performance issues using this method , The Boot-132 , instead of the more "classic" EFI/Chameleon + strings

HI

an old osx86 member lover here.

I got osx86 (tiger and leo) running on laptop and desktop (ds4 as my signature) as well; Now I'm very interested on give a go with this new method so ,

I'd like to know if anyone of u seen any improvements with usability or performance issues using this method , The Boot-132 , instead of the more "classic" EFI/Chameleon + strings

in my case, advantages lies on the fact that the retail os x leopard install is "untouched" w/c gives me the true meaning of vanilla. :D

during updates, the boot-132-powered retail leopard is treated by apple website as a clean vanilla install. if, in any case, additional kext(s) is needed or a modification to a particular kext is necessary, it's so easy to add to boot-132. thus, no need for an extra/emergency hackintosh in a separate partition or hdd & much more "touch" the retail leopard install. :D

bottom line, boot-132 is just the improvement/evolution of osx86 w/c is rooted from modified releases of leopard installers, efi-emulators, and to chameleon. :D

Yodo Posted Yesterday, 10:17 AM

ok, it`s prety nice HOW TO, well i try from 10.5.0 and after make all apple updates from mac app, tell you latter what happen

tnx!!

how's the update? :D

kennyp Posted Sep 18 2008, 03:15 AM

Has anyone had any luck with the ASUS P5Q mobo (the new p45 chipset) using this or any other guide?

I can boot ok CD, or USB, Retail DVD loads up to background load with spinning beach ball.....then hangs...ball moves with mouse.

Other hardware is in sig, and running 10.5.5 updated from iATKOS 10.5.4 as Vanilla as I can get.

I have tried GForce 7300gs card also, along with all the boot flags I know of.

This is not a huge deal, but I am of those of you able to run retail.

Kenny

u may try to download the orginal/generic boot-132 & add the other kexts (i.e. audio, graphics/video, & other system kexts u have chosen in installing iatkos 4i).

check out this thread for related info on your mobo.

good luck.

I try your USB boot I finish step to restore to my usb

but it can't boot

please help

w/ usb-boot-132, u can't boot w/ your retail leopard dvd installer. kindly countercheck the steps you've taken as against the steps provided in the guide.

w/ usb-boot-132, u can't boot w/ your retail leopard dvd installer. kindly countercheck the steps you've taken as against the steps provided in the guide.

I try many many time

but I don't want to make boot-132 retail dvd

for now i need only bootable usb to make custom boot-132

ps. can't boot mean set to boot from usb hdd when pc startup it check my usb and nothing go it not load syslinux

thanks alot sorry for post in two topic

I try many many time

but I don't want to make boot-132 retail dvd

for now i need only bootable usb to make custom boot-132

ps. can't boot mean set to boot from usb hdd when pc startup it check my usb and nothing go it not load syslinux

thanks alot sorry for post in two topic

> download the image/clone of my usb-boot-132.

> replace the INITRD.IMG of my usb-boot-132 with the one from your working boot-132 disc.

> restore it to your usb flashdisk or to a small partition of your hdd. be sure to check "Erase destination"

option.

> if you've restored it to your usb flashdisk, configure bios to enable usb devices to boot first.

> if you've restored it to a partition in your hdd, execute fdisk.

> if it won't load, something must have gone wrong during restoration.

> if u still can't get it to work, try stickpin's guide.

good luck.

WILL THERE BE A VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR THIS TOPIC ANYTIME SOON CAN SOME ONE POST IT ON YOUTUBE.COM PLEEEEEASE ITS A LIL CONFUSING...I GOT THE USB TO BOOT BUT IT DOESNT FIND MY CD AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THIS WITH A SINGLE LAYER OSX LEOPARD DISC(THATS WHAT IM USING WITH THE USB, A SINGLE LAYER LEOPARD DVD BASED OFF THE RETAIL VERSION ONLLY MODDS TO THE DVD IS LANGUGE PACKS TAKEN OUT)

CURRENTLY RUNNING

ASROCK 775I65G MOTHERBOARD

INTEL CELERON D PROCESSOR

OS - DUAL BOOTED WINXP (NTFS) AND LEO4ALLV3 (HFS + JOURNEL) AKA LEOPARD 10.5.2 *2 HARD DRIVES*

KERNEL DEFAULT 9.2.2 AND 9.2.0 KERNEL

ALL DRIVERS WORKING ETHERNET WORKING AT HI SPEED

AND IF ANY ONE WOULD BE SO KIND TO TELL ME WHAT WOULD I HAVE TO DO TO GET MY SYSTEM CLOSER TO A REAL MAC..LIKE CAN I RUN SSE3 SUPPORT ON THIS BOARD AND OR PROCESSOR AND HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE EFI INSTALLED, AND WEATHER OR NOT SHOULD I OR CAN I SUPPORT A BETTER KERNEL....NOT REALLY A NOOB JUST BIN OUT THE LOOP FOR ALMOST A YEAR

WILL THERE BE A VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR THIS TOPIC ANYTIME SOON CAN SOME ONE POST IT ON YOUTUBE.COM PLEEEEEASE ITS A LIL CONFUSING...I GOT THE USB TO BOOT BUT IT DOESNT FIND MY CD AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THIS WITH A SINGLE LAYER OSX LEOPARD DISC(THATS WHAT IM USING WITH THE USB, A SINGLE LAYER LEOPARD DVD BASED OFF THE RETAIL VERSION ONLLY MODDS TO THE DVD IS LANGUGE PACKS TAKEN OUT)

CURRENTLY RUNNING

ASROCK 775I65G MOTHERBOARD

INTEL CELERON D PROCESSOR

OS - DUAL BOOTED WINXP (NTFS) AND LEO4ALLV3 (HFS + JOURNEL) AKA LEOPARD 10.5.2 *2 HARD DRIVES*

KERNEL DEFAULT 9.2.2 AND 9.2.0 KERNEL

ALL DRIVERS WORKING ETHERNET WORKING AT HI SPEED

AND IF ANY ONE WOULD BE SO KIND TO TELL ME WHAT WOULD I HAVE TO DO TO GET MY SYSTEM CLOSER TO A REAL MAC..LIKE CAN I RUN SSE3 SUPPORT ON THIS BOARD AND OR PROCESSOR AND HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE EFI INSTALLED, AND WEATHER OR NOT SHOULD I OR CAN I SUPPORT A BETTER KERNEL....NOT REALLY A NOOB JUST BIN OUT THE LOOP FOR ALMOST A YEAR

when i get my copy of retail leopard 10.5.4 installer, i plan to reinstall the whole thing. perhaps i can prepare a photo slideshow of the whole process. until then, u may want to tell us what you're confused about.

pls. remember that u CANNOT BOOT (YET) FROM OPTICAL DRIVE USING BOOT-132-SYSLINUX (usb loader). thus, to install from retail leopard dvd, u need to use boot-132-isolinux (CD boot loader).

yes u can shrink your retail leopard dvd installer to fit in dvd-sl. u can also follow llauqsd's guide to create a self-booting retail leopard dvd installer. this way, u no longer need to burn boot-132-isolinux to a cd, thus, no more disc-swapping.

hope u already have a version of boot-132-disc that works for your mobo. if not, download the original/generic version & just add the necessary (extra) kexts (the ones you've selected during your install of leo4all) to the initrd.img.

good luck.

Excellent guide! This is certainly what I'll be doing. Will I need to change the instructions much if I decide to install OSX on a separate hard drive? I figure the first will have windows vista while the second will have OSX and a second partition for boot 132.

I have the retail disk and the thumb drive prepared as best I can (gigabyte EP45 if anyone has any suggestions for the ISO).

Anything I should know if I'm planning on installing on a separate hard drive with vista, instead of the same hard drive with XP? I figure the basic ideas in your guide still apply.

Thanks for taking the time to make this guide.

Excellent guide! This is certainly what I'll be doing. Will I need to change the instructions much if I decide to install OSX on a separate hard drive? I figure the first will have windows vista while the second will have OSX and a second partition for boot 132.

I have the retail disk and the thumb drive prepared as best I can (gigabyte EP45 if anyone has any suggestions for the ISO).

Anything I should know if I'm planning on installing on a separate hard drive with vista, instead of the same hard drive with XP? I figure the basic ideas in your guide still apply.

Thanks for taking the time to make this guide.

almost same process.

if u have the boot-132-partition in the hdd where u'll install leopard, then you'll be presented w/ the option of booting leopard.

to boot vista, just press [ESC] after boot-132 has loaded (where u'r presented w/ the option of booting leopard), then type "81" - assuming u installed vista in ur 2nd hdd.

good luck.

I did it!!! :( Thanks a lot for this tutorial!!! I'm right now using Retail Mac OS X 10.5.4 with dual boot Vista x64!

I had some hard time to convert the Retail 10.5.4 DVD to a single layer as I don't have a DL-DVD in the moment, but after some time I've got it! Now, some doubts...

1. Is it possible to change the boot parameters of DARWIN in the boot-132 partition? I mean, when the system boots I get that screen to choose between Win and Mac, but also in the list, are shown the Data and Boot-132 partitions. I'd like to have the Mac as default and I count down (5 sec.) to boot automatically! (As I had with iATKOS)

2. Sleep and Shutdown are NOT working and there are no SpeedStep either. Is there a nice way to get that things done?

Once more, thanks!!!

I did it!!! :( Thanks a lot for this tutorial!!! I'm right now using Retail Mac OS X 10.5.4 with dual boot Vista x64!

I had some hard time to convert the Retail 10.5.4 DVD to a single layer as I don't have a DL-DVD in the moment, but after some time I've got it! Now, some doubts...

1. Is it possible to change the boot parameters of DARWIN in the boot-132 partition? I mean, when the system boots I get that screen to choose between Win and Mac, but also in the list, are shown the Data and Boot-132 partitions. I'd like to have the Mac as default and I count down (5 sec.) to boot automatically! (As I had with iATKOS)

2. Sleep and Shutdown are NOT working and there are no SpeedStep either. Is there a nice way to get that things done?

Once more, thanks!!!

congrats. :D

as for boot parameter, that's what i'm still trying to research & hopefully someone could share his/her knowledge. as far as i know atm, there's no way to set it (yet) w/ boot-132.

for other required kexts/injectors, u may search more for other boot-132 resources & guides.

good luck.

Yep! The update was done successfully!!! Take a look:

Right after the installation:

screencapturelq9.png

The Software Update window:

screencapture1og2.png

Right after the update:

screencapture2bh5.png

I'll see if I can find any kexts for the sleep/shutdown issue and wait for the boot-132 parameters edit function.

More questions: have you seen that my processor was identified as 2.01 GHz? Well, it's actually a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo... is there a way to get this right?

I'm using NVKush and have no QI/QE support. Is there a way to get this running?

And finally, I've changed my signature here!!! :(

Nope... I tried that kext but still can't shutdown! And still can't have CI/QE video support for run Aperture and Toast, for example...

Now I'm really thinking about erasing my HD and format it as GUID Partition Table in order to use yourother tutorial with EFI-strings... but I'm not sure if it's possible to backup my Vista x64 partition and after the installation restore it...

• 1 month later...

Hey Monkey_@@ did you follow the instructions and make Partition1 Fat32 or NTFS... I can not get Vista to load on Fat32.. I have Vista Ultimate... I want to set this system up to run leopard for norm stuff and pic's and Vista for Games.... moving from AMD to Intel Quad core CPU... big move for my gaming...

Currently I have separate drives and just F8 on install... will try tomorrow thanks for the guide,,,