Boot-132 Loaders for Retail Vanilla Leopard Install in a Disk Partition

MACinized

90 posts in this topic

Objective1: Collect all Boot-132 Disc Loaders for Different Motherboards/Chipsets

Objective2: Collect Clones/Images of Boot-132 USB Loaders for Different Motherboards/Chipsets

Objective3: Create Boot-132 Disk Partition Loaders

First of all, kudos to all the think tanks who came from this forum and the whole OSx86 Community especially to DFE for this breakthrough Boot-132 Loader. I'm just here to help provide a clean documentation.

For Boot-132 Disc Loaders, f41qu3 initiated the documentation via this thread.

Now the collections (lifted most from sonotone's thread and that of f41qu3's):

Asus P5Q-Deluxe posted by kizwan

Asus P5W-DH by macita (lightweight version by MACinized)

Dell Inspiron 530 by Melon Man

Dell Inspiron XPS w/ nvidia support

GA-965P-DS3 by CheN NiaN

GA-965P-DS3 v2 by Sabr

GA-EP45-DS3R by MaaseyRacer (lightweight version by MACinized)

GA-P35-DS3L

GA-P35-DS4 by Elastic

Intel DP35DP by MACinized

Lenovo ThinkPad T60 by J o e l

Original/Generic - with the minimum required kexts.

Please share other Boot-132.ISOs.

For Boot-132 USB Loaders, stickpin shared his knowledge on this thread.

Download here the image/clone of my usb-boot-132. To use this with other motherboards, just add/remove any necessary kext(s) in the INITRD.IMG. Just make sure that the last 4 lines of the Info.plist of the kext looks like this:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
 <string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Or better yet, replace the whole INITRD.IMG w/ the one from your working Boot-132 Disc. The advantage of this is you would no longer be needing a Windows OS. Just restore this to your USB-FlashDisk or to a partition of your HardDisk.

Create a Boot-132 Disk Partition Loader

This is the product of my experimentation. :( Pre-requisite is a Boot-132 USB Loader.

You may want to check

video clip. Successfully dual-booting vanilla Leopard with WinXP. :P

By following this guide by llauqsd, you won't be needing to burn Boot-132 to a CD, thus no more disc-swapping.

For new retail leopard installs, you can already create a Boot-132 Disk Partition Loader. Here's how it goes:

During install, after the Choose Install Language window, run Disk Utility.

Make two (2) partitions of your target Hard Disk. First partition is for the Boot-132 so that means you only need about 0.5GB (or even smaller). Then all the rest of the space goes to the second partition for you Mac OS Leopard.

Now plug-in your Boot-132 USB Loader. Then restore it to the first partition of your Hard Disk. Make sure you check the "Erase destination" option. After the restore, you can now eject the USB.

Then proceed with the Leopard install. After successful installation, open the Terminal application before your computer automatically restarts (mine doesn't automatically restarts). :)

Now we have to make the first partition of your Hard Disk, our Boot-132 Disk Partition Loader, active. In Terminal, enter the following:

diskutil list (lists your computers Hard Disk(s) and corresponding partition(s): take note of the Hard Disk where you have the partitions for the Boot-132 and your newly installed Leopard)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (where 0 is the appropriate disk identifier) (if ever you get the "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..." error, just ignore it)

f 1 (where 1 is the correct partition number for your Boot-132)

write

y

exit

Now you can reboot and if all goes well, you will get to choose to boot your newly installed Retail Leopard.

Good luck and hopefully (as much as possible), comments would be constructive and not destructive. ;)

thanks for the guide but when i try to use to boot cd a message says no restore file can be found can u help me out

for the boot-132 DISC loaders, they're iso files so u can burn them directly to a cd. it's not these boot-132 disc loaders that u can restore, pls. use the boot-132 USB loader (2nd part of the guide). good luck.

Hi All,

Thanks for such a brilliant forum full of help and tutorials to get it working.

I am downloading now the bootloader and have a leopard retail....

My laptop is a sony vaio vgn nr32l (GMAX3100, 965chipset)

I have been trying all methods for ideneb, kalyway but GMAX3100 doesn't works and I am still on 1024X768.

Will this leopard retail dvd method help me ? as I have the chipset I have mentioned above..

any suggestions will be great

kind regards and thanks so much

Mutahir

Hi All,

My laptop is a sony vaio vgn nr32l (GMAX3100, 965chipset)

I have been trying all methods for ideneb, kalyway but GMAX3100 doesn't works and I am still on 1024X768.

Mutahir

try the natit.kext that i've attached. extracted it from iatkos 4i. include it inside the initrd.img of your boot-132 loader & make sure u remove other graphics/video kext(s).

good luck.

Natit.kext.zip

Thanks. Works great. May want to add that you can Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..." during the fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (where 0 is the appropriate disk identifier) (if you get one)

I kept on thinking I was doing something wrong until I just continued on.

Thanks. Works great. May want to add that you can Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..." during the fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (where 0 is the appropriate disk identifier) (if you get one)

I kept on thinking I was doing something wrong until I just continued on.

yup. tnx for reminding me. i'm just the kind of guy who's not bothered of any "small" error(s). :D just want to move on. but don't worry, i'll update the 1st post. :)

FavleX Posted Yesterday, 08:47 PM

@MACinized

Thanks for this post/guide and for new improvements got on developing osx86project !

credits goes to dfe (the main man!), zef + the whole chameleon guys, & the whole osx86 community. just trying to share my experience & provide a documentation. :D

I have always this kind of errors with every iso Boot 132 used , anyone's got the same ? ? :thumbsup_anim:

not really sure but i guess it's for the reason that you're using the .iso file w/c is your boot-132 DISC. to have boot-132 work in a disk partition, u must use the image/clone of a USB-boot-132.

Hi,

I'm trying to restore your usb stick dmg file to my usb stick and it says the image is corrupt and won't restore it to the stick... am I just being thick? Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.........

i'm not sure but perhaps it was not properly/completely downloaded. it's an 11.8mb (11.77mb) zip file but if u unzip it, it's actually a 256mb-dmg file (exact clone of my 256mb usb flashdisk). if you're still up to it, i'd suggest u redownload the file. or better yet, follow stickpin's guide.

good luck.

not really sure but i guess it's for the reason that you're using the .iso file w/c is your boot-132 DISC. to have boot-132 work in a disk partition, u must use the image/clone of a USB-boot-132.

Thanks for ur fast reply.I use the right mage I suppose.. =256 MB

5420550-db5.png

Thanks for ur fast reply.I use the right mage I suppose.. =256 MB

5420550-db5.png

yeah. but in your previous post, source is new.iso?

FavleX Posted Today, 07:21 PM

I have always this kind of errors with every iso Boot 132 used , anyone's got the same ? ?

5419877-2a5.png

yeah. but in your previous post, source is new.iso?

:D apologise man.Shot at the wrong time.Any suggest for my installation ?

My small/poor project is : take my 80 GB usb HDD and install there 3partitions

1) for boot 132 (ot what everl esle..146,147.. :P )

2) a vaniilla Leo install (or a bit modified with the OSInstall.mpkg suited well..)

3) The real partition where is going to be installed Leo

Just for taking more confidnce with Dense Development

If someone shoot me in the right direction I will be pleased.

:D apologise man.Shot at the wrong time.Any suggest for my installation ?

My small/poor project is : take my 80 GB usb HDD and install there 3partitions

1) for boot 132 (ot what everl esle..146,147.. :P )

2) a vaniilla Leo install (or a bit modified with the OSInstall.mpkg suited well..)

3) The real partition where is going to be installed Leo

Just for taking more confidnce with Dense Development

If someone shoot me in the right direction I will be pleased.

hopefully u can restore the image/clone of my usb-boot-132. if not, follow stickpin's guide. pre-requisite would be you've already got all the necessary modified kexts u need to run leopard. then revisit post#1 for the rest of the steps. :P

good luck.

if not, follow stickpin's guide. pre-requisite would be you've already got all the necessary modified kexts u need to run leopard. then revisit post#1 for the rest of the steps. ;)

good luck.

I got the perequisites :D

But don't like a guide based on win32 :)

while i'm still on it, send me the initrd.img of your boot-132 & i'll prepare the usb-version 4u. ;D

Well first thanks a lot for ur kind of help.Unfortunately in these days I'm on traveling, and got a laptop ony.I remeber the extensions needed were the ones included in stephen's one , with the gma 950 kext more.

When I will be back at my DeskHack I give u the initrd.img.

Have a good day.

hi guys,

I accidentally wiped my hack so I'm installing again.

I created a boot-132 CD, booted off it, partitioned my drive with GUID, installed leopard. booted no probs from CD, updated to 10.5.5 :(

now I try to install chameleon and copy the boot file to / and the Extras/Extensions to / as well. Nothing boots, just a blinking cursor. I always have to boot from CD.

What gives?!!

And what's this bit about using fdisk to mark a partition active on a drive that's GUID?!

any help much appreciated.

cheers,

Matt