Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

q6600

4GB A-Data ram PC 6400

2 x hd WD 250 AAKS

samsung DVD s-ata

asus 7300GT silent

Install was very fast with this method:

1.switched bios to ahci and booted with kalyway 10.5.1

2.did one partition on disk one and two partitions on disk two (10gb and 240gb)

3.installed kalyway on 10GB partition.

4.made a retail install using kaarakeha´s "simple guide" using terminal in kalyway

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

5.patched audio with taruga´s hda enabler method

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112740

6. made efi strings for the gfx card with efi studio

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,64...64.html#msg1864

7. used pcwiz´s control center to make the shutdown/restart patches

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121849

8. overclocked the q6600 very comfortable to 3gHz

sleep,shutdown and restart working.lan was working out of the box.

need power button for wakeup - doesn´t work with mouse or keyboard.

ich10 works with generic ahci : 105 mb/s with the western digital disk!

xbench 280 no disk, 220 with disk - cool :)

if you need more detailed instructions - there are many really good threads like this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=86167&hl=

there haven´t been many comments for this mainboard.so I hope this will help for your new mainboard choice: it was really easy to install and it rocks !! :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your guide it's GREAT :lol:

I'm planing to buy this board soon and I want to ask you 2 questions if you don't mind :) :

1- Is 5.1 sound working with this board ?

2- All SATA and IDE ports working ?

And is there anything that doesn't work on this board ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Thanks for your guide it's GREAT :(

I'm planing to buy this board soon and I want to ask you 2 questions if you don't mind :) :

1- Is 5.1 sound working with this board ?

2- All SATA and IDE ports working ?

And is there anything that doesn't work on this board ?

Thanks a lot ;)

1- I´m not sure about 5.1 - can´t proof it at the moment I´ve got only the green jack working.maybe there is more configuration necessary. that´s the audio in the system profiler

post-120974-1223309930_thumb.png

I´have connected a professional firewire audio interface - so i don´t need it really

2- yes - all ports working, but i don´t use the IDE. tested it only. 5 s-ata disks connected and it´s booting from softraid :)

lan was working out of the box.only patch i needed was audio......oh yes...one problem: it doesn´t make some coffee ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey 3D mn,

I have GA EP45T DS3 only difference from your board is that my board uses DDR3 rams...

After spending a week on codec verbs and trying different patching combinations I was able to get 3 channels out and 2 channels in and I was able to move the headphone out which was routed to the front panel to the back panel

5.1 surround works just use audiomidi tool to set up

so basicly with this AppleHDA kext you will get

speakers from grey jack

headphones from orange jack

lineOut from black jack

lineIn from blue jack

MicIn from pink jack

all from the back panel so if your chassie does not support a front panel for audio you can try this one ;)

1.5.7a24_3outs_2ins_BackPanel.zip

don't forget to erase ALCinject.kext if you are using EFI string for Audio and don't forget to add HDEnabler for SP to report your HD Audio

Please Update me with your trials...

wow... indraganzo - THANK YOU! Can I buy you and Peach a beer?

I too have the newer EP45 board (same 889A audio) that can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory... used your kext and I have great mapping most importantly.. my bass!!!

I just started this build the other day...

Kalyway 10.5.2 --> 10.5.3 combo update - (about to do the retail update trick tonight)

Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R / Q6600 / 8GB Corsair PC2-6400 (2 - TWIN2X4096-6400C5) / 2x Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB 32mb cache drives / Gigabyte ATI-4670HD (going in my old pc so I can game again untill someone can get it working here) --> Gigabyte GV-NX96T512HP (Nvidia 9600GT heatpipe) will be in tomorrow hopefully for this machine.

Main purpose - Logic 8 & FCP

wow... indraganzo - THANK YOU! Can I buy you and Peach a beer?

I too have the newer EP45 board (same 889A audio) that can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory... used your kext and I have great mapping most importantly.. my bass!!!

I just started this build the other day...

Kalyway 10.5.2 --> 10.5.3 combo update - (about to do the retail update trick tonight)

Gigabyte EP45C-DS3R / Q6600 / 8GB Corsair PC2-6400 (2 - TWIN2X4096-6400C5) / 2x Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB 32mb cache drives / Gigabyte ATI-4670HD (going in my old pc so I can game again untill someone can get it working here) --> Gigabyte GV-NX96T512HP (Nvidia 9600GT heatpipe) will be in tomorrow hopefully for this machine.

Main purpose - Logic 8 & FCP

Your welcome fuma ,

I my self want to get myself a beer after I have nailed it , but it got me a while to reverse engineer AppleHDA with the limited data out there ( credit goes to Taurga and The King ) and try to comprehend how exactly it works but couldn't manage to create a fourth output and a third input (there are some jacks still not in use) still trying to solve this issue but never the less we have 3 outs and 2 ins and can get 5.1 all from the back panel.

To be honest , I feel a conspiracy revolving around the Realtek ALC889a chipset as any operation systems recognizes it as ALC885...

So is it ALC889a or ALC885 ?

Doing some research on the net I have got to some information that ALC889a chips had major problems so gigabyte come with the solution of re flashing them with ALC885 rom. That might explain why it reports as ALC885 while Gigabyte claims it is ALC889a

You Should Do a Vanilla retail install and change a few kexts to make this board go vanilla

I myself use this for Logic 8 it works like a charm I can even route the system sounds to speaker out to small pc speakers while having logic from line out to a set of bi-amped studio reference monitors..

this way system sounds does not give me a jump when everything is too loud.

I was also able to connect Two PCIe graphic cards supporting 4 monitors...

I could not achieve this with my old board no mater what I have tried .. Now I can open as much plugins as I want :thumbsup_anim:

If you are going to use FCP I recocmend that you should software raid your work drive as it can dramaticlay increase your HD performance therefore FCP performance..

Has anyone get sound on this mb with boot-132 method?

I've tried to copy many different kexts to my bootable flash drive, but the best that I could get is 2-ch out with no mic-in.

I know that Cyclonefr has a method with this kext and boot-132 ,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=915858

what I understand from his topic that he creates the Kexts in his bootable drive just with the working info.plist so when an update comes does not affect the working sound...

You have to give more specification about your Motherboard before asking ( or you can make your system specs your signature) this way you can get help easier.. ;)

You should take a linux dump of your Audio codec to make sure which Audio codec you really have on your board, Sometimes the Manufacturer reports a different model on their website than the linux dump..Like My codec is supposed to be ALC889a but it is reporting as ALC885 :)

If your codec is reporting ALC885 on the LINUX dump you would be able to use retail kext without modifying the binary if not you would have to edit your AppleHDA binary with the correct model name you have with a Hex editor...

you should Check the Kings topic for more info on how to

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=903857

Did you try my kext ?

My AppleHDA Kext would work on Gigabyte EP45 series with so called ALC889a as known as ALC885

If you have Tried my kext with no results you eighter made a ownership mistake while install or simply our codecs are not the same

please specify your config

To be honest , I feel a conspiracy revolving around the Realtek ALC889a chipset as any operation systems recognizes it as ALC885...

So is it ALC889a or ALC885 ?

AFAIK, it's 889a... but i'm still green around the edges here and I can't find where the system would tell you if it thinks it's 885..?

You Should Do a Vanilla retail install and change a few kexts to make this board go vanilla

That's my main goal... I really need to touch base with you or someone else that has experience on the Gigabyte p45 boards... I'm running out of ideas. I have Kalyway 10.5.3 running nice and stable on one partition of one drive (no 3d on the video), and I've been (repeatedly) installing retail with combo update after on drive 2... I finally got retail 10.5.5 to boot in safe mode only... theres some weirdness in there that I probably fcucked up along the way... I do know that I couldn't get vanilla to load... I'm fried right now.. out of brain power, so I think I'll wipe it and try again in the morning...

one thing.. is it normal to have to change the boot priority in the bios to boot onto my secondardy HD? Shouldn't I see that option on the boot loader menu? It sucks to have to flip back and forth when trying something new.

Anyhow, thanks for any help... maybe if you know of a smoother way of getting retail/vanilla up and running, you could point the way... I used a combo of techniques described in LTL's post but not having much luck.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=611463

here is a more detailed guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=940826

yes you have to change the boot priority after successful install. later on you switch to the second leo using the f12 button during bios start.

if you want to select everytime a different install on boot, you need something like the acronis bootmanager.

• 1 month later...
Guest ѕиоѡ
Hey 3D mn,

I have GA EP45T DS3 only difference from your board is that my board uses DDR3 rams...

After spending a week on codec verbs and trying different patching combinations I was able to get 3 channels out and 2 channels in and I was able to move the headphone out which was routed to the front panel to the back panel

5.1 surround works just use audiomidi tool to set up

so basicly with this AppleHDA kext you will get

speakers from grey jack

headphones from orange jack

lineOut from black jack

lineIn from blue jack

MicIn from pink jack

all from the back panel so if your chassie does not support a front panel for audio you can try this one :thumbsup_anim:

1.5.7a24_3outs_2ins_BackPanel.zip

don't forget to erase ALCinject.kext if you are using EFI string for Audio and don't forget to add HDEnabler for SP to report your HD Audio

Please Update me with your trials...

Could this work with my board?

Thx

• 1 month later...

ok thanks

do you think it's posible to boot from the boot-132 cd "generic.iso" (which contains only 4 kexts), do a retail install, and then boot the installed system and install audio, gfx, and fixes for shutdown/restart ?

or do we have to install a kalyway version on a small partition in order to install using retail disk?

ok thanks

do you think it's posible to boot from the boot-132 cd "generic.iso" (which contains only 4 kexts), do a retail install, and then boot the installed system and install audio, gfx, and fixes for shutdown/restart ?

or do we have to install a kalyway version on a small partition in order to install using retail disk?

because I´m convinced that it is much better to have a second os x maintenance partition I can´t see any advantages of the boot 132 method. use karaakeha´s guide here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76404

or the guide I wrote for a DAW here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&pid=940826

thanks for info, I read your guide, but i would know if these kexts :

IntelcpuMdisabler.kext ( disables the AppleIntelCpuPowermanagment.kext for future updates)

openhaltrestart.kext ( enables restart and shutdown – thanks to psystar)

HDAenabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext (patch for ALC889 audio)

AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext (patch to recognize the ich10R)

IOStorageFamily.kext (patch to get rid of the orange icons)

installSMBIOResolver.kext (corrects the informations in systemprofiler)

can be placed in the /extra folder (to use with efi v9) in order to leave the /S/L/E untouched ?

and also you say that AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext are patch to recognize the ich10R, but ep45ds3 has a ich10, not a ich10R

and also (last thing), if I don't care about the color of my sata disk, can i no instal IOStorageFamily.kext? is this just comestic ?

I'm happy to see that this mobo works well with logic because I will use it :-)

read the whole DAW thread and you will find almost every answer. I never tried to put the kexts into extra folder. once more - this is a part of the boot 132 method, and I can´t see the advantages if you are able to everything from an other partition. imho your os x won´t be better or faster with it only more complicated if some problem appears :)

the advantage of the /extra method is that you have all your modified kext in one place, and all the unmodified ones in another place

so it's rock solid for future updates, and more stable.

But it's in general, maybe in this exemple your system is as stable as /Extra method, but if you plan to do an update you have to worry about your kexts being overwriten by the original ones.

but anyway thanks for pointing me in the right direction :-)

sorry to say that - but that´s simply not true. imo if you are on a hackintosh first of all you have to have a good backup strategy. also if you use a tool like kexthelper, it will always backup the replaced kexts.

there is absolutely no difference if unstable kexts are loaded from the extensions folder or the extra folder - the result would be the same and vice versa.

did you ever make an update from an other partition to the other? if not - try it and you will realize what i´m talking about. I tried all the method´s and it was good to learn - but imo later on, comparing to a system with two installs it´s a waste of time - and my system is also rock solid for future updates and absolutely stable :D

Good guide, thanks! (the DAW one is classic) Do you think that this newer mobo is a better choice than the popular earlier P35 series of boards? I'm wondering what would be the best model to search for giving the best value. I guess the P45 boards are more expensive. What about other Gigabyte GA-EP45 boards, any others that I should look for?

Good guide, thanks! (the DAW one is classic) Do you think that this newer mobo is a better choice than the popular earlier P35 series of boards? I'm wondering what would be the best model to search for giving the best value. I guess the P45 boards are more expensive. What about other Gigabyte GA-EP45 boards, any others that I should look for?

the EP45 boards has a better performance.

I would go for the GA-EP45-DS3 - best value for the money. the L wersion is cheaper but doesn´t have firewire onboard. the board is absolutely stable and you could use almost the same patches as for the EP35 board (except audio).

• 1 month later...

Hi peach-os

I have been reading about your install on ga-ep45-ds3 recently, and finally decided to

try an install of osx on my comp.

GA-EP45-DS3 v.9 is the mobo, im trying to retail install using

os x leopard retail 10.5.6

I have used various boot132 isos but cant get the install to finish?

Everything runs fine, until finishing the install and reports that can't install to harddrive...

I have a samsung spinpoint 1tb... any ideas?

Thanks