Leopard on linux with kvm

edubarr

8 posts in this topic

I've read a lot of the posts regarding virtualization of mac os in general and I decided to try it with KVM instead of VMWare. My experience up until now is a weird combination of failure and success. If I run the VM with all of the kvm kernel modules loaded it doesn't even get to boot and spits out what looks like a memory dump. If I unload all of the KVM kernel modules it does load up the installer and starts to install, albeit very slowly (it took about 5mins to reach 25% on the checking installation DVD progress bar).

I'm using kalyway's 10.5.2 on arch linux running kernel 2.6.26 with the kvm modules not loaded. Although my hardware doesn't matter (since it's a virtual environment), it's a thinkpad T61.

Anyone else has any experiences running leopard on kvm and getting it to work?

Just a quick update, the error I was getting with the kvm modules loaded in are caused by a problem with intel's vt-x implementation. More information here. I'll proceed with the install and then I'll try to get leopard booting with the kvm modules in place.

Again, if anyone has any experience with this, please let me know how it went.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

@edubarr: If you're running "kvm" without the modules, you're basically using plain QEMU, unaccelerated.

I successfully installed Leopard 10.5.6 in KVM, using "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 v1.1 (PPF6)". The previous version, "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 v1.0 (PPF5)" ran just as fine.

KVM version: Debian kvm-72+dfsg-5.

Installation:

kvm -std-vga -m 1024 -hda /path/to/your/disk.image -cdrom your.install.dvd.iso -boot d

You have to use -std-vga because the default QEMU graphics chipset "cirrus" doesn't work well with OS X. I'm using these iPC 10.5.6 drivers & fixes:

* Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 (OS X would instantly reboot with the vanilla kernel)

* PCGenRTL8139 drivers (QEMU emulates a Realtek 8139 NIC)

* Legacy Intel PIIX PATA drivers (QEMU's IDE chipset)

* PS/2 Keyboard FIX (OS X doesn't like QEMU's USB emulated keyboard and mouse, both very sluggish)

* Patched USB drivers (I haven't tried USB yet)

Running the installed system:

kvm -boot c -std-vga -m 1024 -hda /path/to/your/image

r257brzbmmaxwz03qoag.png

Remaining problems:

* Networking: Even though OS X recognizes the rtl8139 NIC, I can't get any network connectivity. Neither DHCP nor manually assigned IP addresses work. KVM/QEMU is also able to emulate a few Intel NICs: i82551 i82557b i82559er e1000. Maybe one of them works.

* "About this Mac": Causes the OS X desktop to reload. This worked with iDeneb. Maybe it's caused by one of the fixes or the lack of a certain fix. The hardware profiler, started as a standalone application, works though.

Does anyone have an idea on how I could work around these issues? It should be the same for KVM as in a regular QEMU installation.

• 3 months later...
@edubarr: If you're running "kvm" without the modules, you're basically using plain QEMU, unaccelerated.

I successfully installed Leopard 10.5.6 in KVM, using "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 v1.1 (PPF6)". The previous version, "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 v1.0 (PPF5)" ran just as fine.

KVM version: Debian kvm-72+dfsg-5.

Installation:

kvm -std-vga -m 1024 -hda /path/to/your/disk.image -cdrom your.install.dvd.iso -boot d

You have to use -std-vga because the default QEMU graphics chipset "cirrus" doesn't work well with OS X. I'm using these iPC 10.5.6 drivers & fixes:

* Voodoo kernel 9.5.0 (OS X would instantly reboot with the vanilla kernel)

* PCGenRTL8139 drivers (QEMU emulates a Realtek 8139 NIC)

* Legacy Intel PIIX PATA drivers (QEMU's IDE chipset)

* PS/2 Keyboard FIX (OS X doesn't like QEMU's USB emulated keyboard and mouse, both very sluggish)

* Patched USB drivers (I haven't tried USB yet)

Running the installed system:

kvm -boot c -std-vga -m 1024 -hda /path/to/your/image

r257brzbmmaxwz03qoag.png

Remaining problems:

* Networking: Even though OS X recognizes the rtl8139 NIC, I can't get any network connectivity. Neither DHCP nor manually assigned IP addresses work. KVM/QEMU is also able to emulate a few Intel NICs: i82551 i82557b i82559er e1000. Maybe one of them works.

* "About this Mac": Causes the OS X desktop to reload. This worked with iDeneb. Maybe it's caused by one of the fixes or the lack of a certain fix. The hardware profiler, started as a standalone application, works though.

Does anyone have an idea on how I could work around these issues? It should be the same for KVM as in a regular QEMU installation.

Hello,

works the Network card now? Leopard starts and fast here.

But no network and no sound only 1024x768.

I can't read the OSK1 and OSk2 to get an OSK File.

Can you help?

Greetings

xoa,

Did you do anything unusual in the way of boot options when installing? I ask because I'm unable to get very far in my installation attempts under kvm (version 1:62+dfsg-0ubuntu8.2) or qemu (version 0.9.1-1ubuntu1). I've tried Leo4Allv2, Leo4Allv3, Kalyway 10.5.2, iPC beta with PPF5, and iPC 1.0 final. They all fail shortly after the kernel starts loading. Some combinations (particularly when using hardware virtualization) fail with kernel panics, but others just stop loading, typically after displaying the messages:

mig_table_max_displ = 79
Local APIC version not 0x14 as expected
ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

I've tried with the exact kvm command line you specified above (adjusted for my disks) and with numerous variants. I can try other versions of qemu and/or kvm, of course, but if you're entering particular OSx86 boot loader options, I'd appreciate knowing what they are. I've tried with nothing but "-v" (to see the text-mode messages) and with "-v -x", but I haven't tried anything more exotic than that. As you might gather from the version numbers, I'm using Ubuntu Linux (version 8.04, to be precise) as the host OS.

Incidentally, shouldn't this thread be in the "Multi Booting and Virtualisation" forum?

Hello,

I use a patched qemu Version from here:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/...osx/SLE_10/src/

I also use a unpatched kvm Version on the same Time on the same Computer for the other VM.

Then I use this Howto:

http://d4wiki.goddamm.it/index.php?title=H..._Mac_OSX_on_KVM

Then I use pcwiz vmware Image as hda.

This works fine but the network and sound only one times works fine. Then never again.

Graphics only 1024x768

Boot Time 45 -50 Seconds.

On my Mac I can't get the OSK File

Then I would Install from the OSX Install CD a clean Install.

Greetings

Thanks for your reply. I've installed the latest QEMU from source, and it's now running the installer (I'm using iPC), albeit slowly -- it's been going for about five hours and it reports it'll take another 56 hours. I've got a sneaking suspicion that my choice of QCOW2 as the image file format is slowing it down. I'll let it run overnight and then decide whether to stop it and try something else for better speed or just let it run for another couple of days and hope the system doesn't crash during that time.

I've now installed iPC twice, but both times the resulting installation has failed to boot, giving me only a "still waiting for root device" error. The first time, I forgot to set the chipset driver, but the second time, I did -- I installed the Legacy AppleIntelPIIXATA driver, which seemed like the best match to the Intel 82371SB PIIX3 that QEMU emulates. So the question is: What PATA driver should I be installing? Clearly something works, since the iPC installer can see the emulated hard disk and DVD drive. Since each installation takes 18 hours, I'm reluctant to just try drivers at random. Any pointers?

• 4 months later...
I've now installed iPC twice, but both times the resulting installation has failed to boot, giving me only a "still waiting for root device" error. The first time, I forgot to set the chipset driver, but the second time, I did -- I installed the Legacy AppleIntelPIIXATA driver, which seemed like the best match to the Intel 82371SB PIIX3 that QEMU emulates. So the question is: What PATA driver should I be installing? Clearly something works, since the iPC installer can see the emulated hard disk and DVD drive. Since each installation takes 18 hours, I'm reluctant to just try drivers at random. Any pointers?

Quite a late answer :)

The installation should not take 18 hours.

- Are you sure you are in kvm mode?

- Raw image is a little faster than qcow2, but what make me installation really fast is to keep (or duplicate) the image for new installations. Just re-create the partition during installation.

I was able to make iPC work using AppleIntelPIIXATA. I'm using Qemu 0.11 from debian repository. If you want to use Qemu from source with kvm, you need to build and load the kvm kernel module too.