Belkin F5D7070 Rev B (Ralink 2xxx Driver) on Leopard?

ruckus328

7 posts in this topic

First off, I know there is another post or 2 regarding this matter, however after reading through 20+ pages of old broken links and alot of off topic posts, I couldn't make heads or tales of a solution. So, I would like to discuss only the Belkin F5D7050 Rev B which uses the Ralink 2xxx chipset. Other models of the USB device use different chipsets so I'm not looking for solutions to the other models, just the rev B.

I'm quite a noob to the mac world so I won't claim otherwise. I've been bangin my head against the wall for 2 days trying to come up with a solution. I know drivers are available on ralinks website but I'm unsure which ones I need. I installed the MAC USB 2870 drivers and came up with nothing. It installed the wireless utitlity but no device can be detected. Tried unplugging/replugging, and nothing.

If anyone can give me a clear, step by step walkthrough of what drivers I need and what to do from there, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Very few people are willing to discuss brand name devices because the only thing that really matters is the chipset. "Ralink 2xxx" doesn't help. What chip is used in this "rev B" you speak of? Open it up and find out if that's what it takes.

OK, it's the Ralink 2571 chipset. I looked inside to confirm. There's a driver package on the ralink website for the 2571 chipset for OSX, but it indicates it's only for 10.3 & 10.4. I'm running 10.5.2. The file is located here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

From what I can gather from other posts, I believe this driver will work, but I'm not sure what to do from here. I ran it and it installed a wireless utility, but the wireless utility does not detect the card. Tried, unplugging/replugging and nothing. If I look in my system preferences, it shows up under the usb devices as "Belkin 54G Wireless Device", so OSX is seeing at (to come extent).

Any ideas?

im in the exact situation your in...

atm im using a kalyway IntelAMD disc

and my belkin is a F5D7050B

OK, I got it. The install package from ralink that I indicated (2571 for 10.3 & 10.4) is the correct one so download and install that. I updated to kalyway 10.5.3 combo update, restarted and did an "update -v" at the darwin prompt. When OSX loaded, boom, can now see the Belkin device and shows up in the wireless utility (had to unplug/replug the usb device but I know there's a fix for that). Don't know if it was because of the combo update or the "update -v", I suspect it's the "update -v" that did it, but it's to late for me to go back and determine and all I care about is that it's working.

So I would start with just trying an update -v after you install the ralink package (if you're not already running 10.5.3 or higher) and see if that works. If not, download the kalyway combo update 10.5.3 and give that a try. Good luck, hope it works for you too.

• 3 months later...

Yeah it works now....But now i have a real mac xD

iMac G4 Window 512mb 700Mhz

i still use the same Belkin F5D7050B with those drivers and it works! i can now fully access the internet

(with 10.3) but everytime i update sucessfully i keep on losing connection with the adapter so i have to unis and reins

just an update ^^