Bluetooth Fix

jim

60 posts in this topic

TESTED AND WORKS (getting Bluetooth on mac in windows XP)

I believe the reason for the bluetooth not working is because the Bluetooth device is in HID mode..

You have 2 options.. Use the SP2 bluetooth stack, or use the Widcomm stack which has all the profiles

With MS Stack to edit the file \WINDOWS\inf\bth.inf and add :

Apple=Apple, NT.5.1 in [Manufacturer]

and

[Apple.NT.5.1]

Apple Bluetooth Radio= BthUsb, USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_8205

under device section-start

OR

with widcomm u need to add the apple bluetooth in the device id list of the widcomm stack driver to get it to work.

Either way.. download the attachment.. rename it (remove rename.txt) so its a plain exe file..

The program switches the HID mode to HCI. To run open CMD and run

hid2hci.exe 05ac 1000

05ac is the apple device id.

This will switch the mode and windows will detect the bluetooth. This is NOT permanent and needs to be done on startup. So a good idea will be to place a shortcut in startup with that command

Windows will install a generic driver and use its stack, but if you want widcomm you need to do several other steps.

For widcomm, you need to download the latest stack.. bottom link is an ANYCOM driver. (with licence check removed). U'll need to install it and during the install it will complain no bluetooth found bla bla.. just install without it. it will ask for a restart.. do it :D. After you restart, run the hid2hci (if not already in your startup).

Edit the file btwusb.inf in the install dir of the stack .. in program files under widcomm or anycom \bin\btwusb.inf.. After line 151 (under [WIDCOMM.NTx86.5.1] .. add

%APPLE.DeviceDesc%=BTWUSB, USB\VID_05AC&PID_8205

Now in your System properties, under Bluetooth devices. if you already have a generic bluetooth device.. change the driver and point it to that above dir (where you edited the file).

The RED BT icon should turn white and everything should work.. (Some say APPLE BT keybaord and mouse might not work but havent tested yet).

http://www.filefactory.com/get/v3/f2.php?f...af8519e52a1a964

p.s also thanks for jason for testing

hid2hci.exe.rename.txt

in testing now..

the utility does not change any firmware just a trigger. if testing fails the post will be deleted..

as for piracy.. the link is a driver found on manufacturer's websites but with some checks removed (anycom)

Woww hohoo. Piracy? What do ya want when ya install the Omega driver? do you know that is the patched version of official ATI Catalyst.

Good job Jim, I have test the 5.0.1.1200 with normal bluetooth dongle and verify it fully working on my PC, so the problem is that the driver was not installed and the bluetooth dongle was not enumerated. Now you point out that we need to change the working mode.

Omega is supported and accepted by ATI and thus is not piracy. They have approved the usage of the software in that method.

Apple has a license from Widcomm for the stack which they have re-coded for the Mac OS. I do not see any legal complication with using a derived hardware with the original driver....

Or this thread wouldn't be here... :lol:

I'm not using the Widcomm stack (just wanted to get it to work with XP SP2 alone) and while Windows detects a "USB Device" it fails to automatically find drivers for the device.

i tried manually selecting drivers and pointing at the Bluetooth category, but it didn't find any there either.

are there any other steps to getting this to work sans-Widcomm?

I dont have a mac to test, but you can ADD the mac device id which is USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_8205 .

according to :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841803

its not listed so u need to add it.

try editing \WINDOWS\inf\bth.inf

and add the line anywhere i suppose (i would add it under Cambridge.NT.5.1)

Apple Bluetooth Radio= BthUsb, USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_8205

Save and update driver in System.

Let me know if it works so i can update the first post

Still didn't find it after updating the INF, deleting the "USB Device" and scanning for hardware changes. Both automatic driver search and manually pointing to "Bluetooth devices" was fruitless.

... i'm going to reboot to make sure the INF change is picked up.

EDIT: reboot didn't solve anything. Windows did ask me for drivers again, but couldn't find any on its own or when pointed to Bluetooth Devices or Bluetooth Radios.

Looking at may device manager, I can see 2 USB-HID devices with problems (MCE on MacMini). If I look at the properties of those two, I can see that the first one should be the IR Receiver und the second one just says USB Device.

Assuming that the second one is the bluetooth device, I get the following device id:

USB\VID_05AC&PID_9223

After editing bth.inf:

-added line "Apple=Apple, NT.5.1" to Manufacturer

-added lines "[Apple.NT.5.1]" "Apple MacMini Bluetooth Device= BthUsb, USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_9223" right underneath ";------------- Device section - Start -----------------------"

I was able to install the microsoft bluetooth driver. But I got the message that the device cannot start. Even after starting hid3hci.exe it wouldn't work. Did I use the wrong usb device? Any ideas?

Would also like to use the microsoft drivers.....

okay - forget my last posting. I still don't know what the device with id "USB\VID_05AC&PID_9223" is, but following jim's instuctions I got bluetooth working and actually connected my apple wireless keyboard (using it right now :)). here's exactly what i was doing:

-added line "Apple=Apple, NT.5.1" to Manufacturer

-added section "[Apple.NT.5.1]" underneath ";------------- Device section - Start -----------------------"

-added entry "Apple Bluetooth Radio= BthUsb, USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_8205" underneath "[Apple.NT.5.1]"

-didn't reboot!

-on cmd prompt: hid2hci.exe 05ac 1000

-new device showed up and with manual driver section "Apple Bluetooth Radio" could be selected

-now another device showed up and identified itself as "Microsoft Bluetooth"

-> works fine now....

I still have 2 problems with the microsoft bluetooth stack:

1. when I pair the apple keyboard, I get asked what kind of key I want. no matter what I choose: I do not have the time to enter a key before the keyboard is installed. It always gets installed without a key.

2. I wouldn't really mind problem 1... but when I reboot my machine and start hdi2hci.exe I have another problem (eventually related to problem 1). The keyboard is still showing up in the bluetooth device manager (without a key), but it's not working anymore.

also - how are you guys starting hdi2hci.exe while booting the machine? I created a shortcut (including the options 05ac 1000) which is working when started from the windows explorer, but if i drag it into the autostart menu option it's not starting up....

Hmm... I have a 17" iimac, and I followed the manual instructions for the microsoft bluetooth stack to a tee, and it isn't working. When I go to the device and try to load a driver for it, the entry I created in the bluetooth inf file simply isn't there. I've yet to try the installer, so as soon as I get home I'll do that, but I've been under the impression that there is a bluetooth preference pane (excuse the mac terminology) in control panel. Does this only appear once windows recognises the bluetooth device?

[EDIT] Also, in device manager I only see a bunch of 'unknown devices' no bluetooth enumerators or radios or what have you.

I'm a little confused. I have a MBP 2.0 and have followed the posted instructions, but the only bluetooth device I've been able to get working is via Microsoft's Bluetooth stack. I've installed the driver and used that utility that was posted for hid2hci, but the Widcomm bluetooth icon is still red. I've been able to use a Kensignton BT dongle with the same driver and it worked flawlessly. Also does anyone know if OSX is going to support HFP?

Thanks.