iDeneb Installation Guide for Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P

i*C

40 posts in this topic

Hey everybody!!! As you well know iDeneb v1 is out. I have spent some time trying to install it on my machine. My first impression is great. I had no problems installing and fixing minor bugs on my computer. I have decided to write a guide on how to install iDeneb on Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P.

It is in a sense better then Kelyway 10.5.2 install for me because i don't have to separately install 10.5.3 combo update and 10.5.4 update. iDeneb is already 10.5.4 and it does support AMD machines.

Here is what you need:

• For installing OS X you will need iDeneb v1.0 OS X DVD (Also, buy a retail version at least). I cannot tell you where to get iDeneb. Google it.

• Drivers (Kext) - http://www.mediafire.com/?5azpbt8gsfq

• Shut Down Fix - http://www.mediafire.com/?o5c1upoq39d

1. Burn your iDeneb ISO to a DVD.

2. Changing BIOS Settings:

• Turn on your computer and press 'Del' key on your keyboard to enter BIOS settings.

• Navigate to 'Integrated Peripherals' hit 'Enter' and make sure that your SATA mode is set to AHCI and not 'Disabled'.

• Navigate to 'Power Management' in BIOS and change setting from S3 (default) to S1 to get sleep and/or shut down working properly.

3. Booting/Installing iDeneb:

• Place you iDeneb DVD into DVD drive and turn on/restart your computer.

• At BIOS prompt, press 'F12' and choose 'CD Drive/DVD Drive'

• At the Darwin prompt, you will read this: "Press any key to start from CD-Rom, or press F8 to enter start up options…" You need to press F8 and type '-v' (without ') and press 'Enter' to load OS X in verbose mode. After few minutes you should see this window (see picture) Click on blue arrow at the bottom (after choosing your language of course).

19294176cb5.jpg

• Here is how 'Welcome Screen' looks like (see picture) Don't click on 'Continue' button yet. You need to format your hard drive first. Go to 'Utilities → Disc utility'.

83033126bp5.jpg

• Select your hard drive at the top left corner and click on 'Erase' tab.

• Choose 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' from the drop down menu of 'Volume Format' and click on 'Erase' button. Confirm the erase command.

• Click on 'Partition' tab and in the 'Volume Scheme' drop down menu choose – 1 Partition. In the Name field type OSX. Leave the format option to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

• Now, click on 'Options' button at the bottom left corner and choose 'Master Boot Record' (MBR), click on OK and hit 'Apply' at the main 'Disk Utility' window. Confirm the creation of the 'OSX' partition. Wait few moments as 'Disk Utility' works its way through.

• Close 'Disk Utility' by clicking on the red dot at the top of the 'Disk Utility' window. You are back to the 'Welcome' screen.

• Click on 'Continue' button and hit 'Agree'.

• Select destination hard drive – OSX and click on 'Continue'.

• Click on 'Customize' button on at this window prompt. (see picture)

41867841gx7.jpg

• Choose these packages: X11; under Audio, choose AC97Audio; under Chipset, don't select anything; under Kernel option, choose 9.4.0 Vanilla or you can choose 9.2.0 Sleep (I have selected 9.4.0 Vanilla); under Network (Ethernet), choose Intel 100ProVE; under Fix (SMBIOS), choose Apple SMBIOS 800 (if your Ram is 800MHz, like mine); under Fix, select Apple PS2 Controller; under Video (NVidia), expend Nvinject and choose your graphics card, if you have NVidia video card. If you have ATI, choose the appropriate kext for your card; under Applications, choose all. Click on 'Done' button.

• After you get back to 'Install Summary', click on 'Install' (you can skip checking install DVD by hitting 'skip' button).

• Installing - wait. At about one minute remaining, it will look like the installation process got stock, its normal. Just wait.

• Here is the 'Install Succeeded' window ☺. Click on 'Restart' button.

26796695fg4.jpg

After your computer boots back in, you will see the 'Intro Movie' (see picture) and short after it, you will have an opportunity to set up your personal account. Take your time to do so.

4. Fixing minor bugs:

• You probably will have to change the resolution to your own before you do anything else. (System Preferences → Display).

• To fix your sound, you will need KextHelper. Google it. After you install KextHelper, open it. Also, open the 'Drivers' folder you downloaded earlier. Inside the 'Sound' folder, select both kext files, and drop them into KextHelper main window. Enter your password in the password field and hit 'Easy Install'. Click on 'Ok' and restart your computer. Sound should work now. If it doesn't, try to reinstalling kext files again.

• Your restart should work fine. However you might have a problem with 'Shut Down'. Try shutting down your computer. If your screen goes dark, but some of the fans are still working, you need to install 'Shut Down Fix' (I have included the download link). Here is how you fix it: 1. Install CHUD.pkg; 2. Open Finder and navigate to Developer -> Extras -> PreferencePanes and double click on "Processor.prefPane" to install it for all users. 3. Install "PowerOff fix". You are set! Try turning off your computer, it should be ok now.

That's it! You have 100% working 'Mac'. Take your time to explore, customize, and simply enjoy the beautiful OS.

Consider buying a Mac if you really like it ☺

Question... my board doesn't have an IntelPro100 in it. I don't think that step is needed, as far as I'm aware, the chipset is at least mostly supported without any additional drivers. However, Bonjour (mDNSresponder) won't work correctly with this driver, you'll need to install a ported linux driver from this forum

i have shared what worked for my install, i am aware that my board uses realtek fot ethernet, but i have decided to put intel one just to see what it does... it works fine... hoever you need video fix, shutdown fix, sound fix...

Thank you Macciti. The tutorial doesn't helped me because i'm using kalyway and an Asus M50Sv Laptop, but your explainations are good. I've taken your shutdown fix, and it works perfectly on my laptop. But nothing for the reboot. I mean it works, i have a black screen during 30 sec then it restarts. But before it was the same while shutdown, 30 sec of black screen, then it stops. There is a topic in the forum about the installation on m50SV, i'll put the link to your tuto.

Thank you Macciti. The tutorial doesn't helped me because i'm using kalyway and an Asus M50Sv Laptop, but your explainations are good. I've taken your shutdown fix, and it works perfectly on my laptop. But nothing for the reboot. I mean it works, i have a black screen during 30 sec then it restarts. But before it was the same while shutdown, 30 sec of black screen, then it stops. There is a topic in the forum about the installation on m50SV, i'll put the link to your tuto.

Thank you :) Good your shut down got fixed...

• 2 weeks later...

• Navigate to 'Integrated Peripherals' hit 'Enter' and make sure that your SATA mode is set to AHCI and not 'Disabled'.

• Navigate to 'Power Management' in BIOS and change setting from S3 (default) to S1 to get sleep and/or shut down working properly.

these changes gonna effect vista usage? becouse im dualbooting it

are you dual booting from the same hard drive? in any case this should not effect vista usage for performance what so ever however changing from S3 to S1 might just mess with your sleep option in vista... you can leave it S3 if you want sleep on vista and not on mac, but you should experiment with this a little... changing your peripherals should not mess or effect your vista usage too... :) hope that helps!

Thanks for the guide!

I have everything working well except for Sleep/Shutdown (with S1 or S3).

When I try to install CHUD it always crashes towards the end of the install, then I can't boot up until I remove the three CHUD kexts.

Any idea how to get around this?

(I've also tried the latest CHUD (4.6.0) but no luck)

MSI K9N Platinum

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

EVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB[/size]

Thanks Maccity for the great tutorial.

i was able to install iDeneb after i shut off my on-board lan. For some reason it kept trying to install from the ethernet pxe. i was getting the dreaded ...plist file not found.

i think i am going to have to get a new pci wireless card. My old belkin (realtek 8180 chipset) doesn't work. i was able to find a driver for ppc osx 10.4.x but not a 10.5 version.

i am thrilled and amazed at how good this works. i did purchase a copy leo 10.5 so i got some cool apple stickers to put on my black box MacPro. My sig should have the machine specs that i was able to install on.

hi,

i was able to apply the ideneb update and all of the kexts. i was getting an error message that the Natit.kext was unusable and needed to be reinstalled. i just removed the natit.kext from the extensions folder and the message went away.

there haven't been any further problems, and i can now sleep/shutdown/restart with no problems. do i really need the natit.kext? maybe not.

i appoligize for my lack of proper capitalization - i spilled cereal on my keyboard and some of the keys don't work :(

However, apple does sell one of the nicest keyboards around, for cheap too. $30 usd last time checked.

thanks again for this tutorial thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Gigabyte GA-EP35 DS3L and iDeneb works fine on that too. I find it much better then Kalyway. I do not need to make all the changes in the BIOS and sleep, restart and shut down work fine. Selecting the ALC888 driver works for my audio. Lan works out of the box by not selecting anything for that.

One thing I do not understand is why people say buy a retail version. By using a modified version you are breaking Apples lincencing agreement and even if you manage to install the retail version on your standard PC you would still be breaking Apples licencing agreement by installing it on non Apple hardware. Either just stick with your hack or if you feel guilty just put the cost of a retail version towards buying a Mac.

I would imagine it would work, Gigabyte boards seem to be amoungst the most compatible boards for hacks, especially if it uses Intel chips. Its just a matter of selecting the right things during install. With iDeneb there is not a lot of choice under chipsets so if like me, your chipset is not listed in iDeneb under motherboard chipsets, dont select any. If it does not work the first time just try again using different selections. It took my friend about 5 attempts with iDeneb on his Asrock board.

If you are using an IDE DVD rom for install and your board uses Jmicron IDE controller it is possible as hacks don't seem to like Jmicron. I had this problem with mine when using Kalyway and I had to go out and buy a SATA DVD rom to install it. When I changed over to iDeneb I just used my SATA DVD to install and didn't try my IDE DVD. Ideneb is meant to have a Jmicron fix in it so it should be ok, but if you get that error message and you are using an IDE DVD rom then that is probably the problem.

When I done my first hack on an Asrock board I installed it with an IDE DVD rom and I had to set the DVD rom as master and put my IDE hard drive on the same IDE channel as slave for it to work. If possible it is best to use a SATA DVD and hard drive.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. If you select the Vanilla Kernal during install and at boot up it just reboots, try using the sleep Kernal that seems the most stable.

Okay, this is my first attempt at installing iDeneb 1.3. After patching the iso, I'm still getting hung on the white Apple screen. There's a little circle looking pie thing that spins, and above that, inside the top of the Apple, is a circle with a line through it (think No Smoking sign).

I'm running a Turion 64 AMD 1.8 on a Compaq Presario V2000 with 512m of memory. Any help or ideas would be awesome.

UPDATE: Okay, a simple reboot of VMWare and now I've got a blue screen that says "iDeneb" in the lower left corner and a spinning rainbow circle. Maybe I just needed to reboot?

UPDATE 2: Yeah, I've been stuck on that screen for a long while now. Back to requesting any and all help on this one.

My soundcard is AC97, and ethernet is intel. I have 0 problems during install but im unable to make sound work, as well as internett. I drop the drivers you provided in the kexthelper and it installs, but nothing really happens after i reboot. I have tryed this 100 times today.

Not only that but my cd/dvd doesnt show for some reason making me unable to open any cd's. (very wierd since i installed iDeneb blindly earlier today and it worked fine ><)

I followed your steps and i got a nice clean install, now just to fix these 2 problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get my Shuttle SX38P2 up and running with this build Just had to add a few more things to get the wireless (PN20) and the sound working so thanks to all involved in this effort. I do have one question, I do not get any start up or shutdown sound, am I missing something ?

hey, i can't find the • Navigate to 'Integrated Peripherals' hit 'Enter' and make sure that your SATA mode is set to AHCI and not 'Disabled'.

can you help me...