Marvell 88E8056 and 88E805X Ethernet Drivers

Fuz2y

19 posts in this topic

the only thing im worried about with the 88e8056 on my asus p5b deluxe is that it drops connections after ive been downloading large files for a while. The skge.kext for Marvel 8001 driver (even though it sometimes throws kernel panics at boot) works well once im in the OS and never drops connections. Does this driver work?

I just tried the drivers for a few hours. STILL has the drop connection. I get the following errors in console:

8/12/08 3:11:00 AM kernel AppleYukon2: 00000000,00000001 sk98osx sky2 - - sk98osx_sky2::replaceOrCopyPacket tried N times

and...

8/12/08 3:31:50 AM kernel AppleYukon2: 00000000,00000000 sk98osx_dnet - recovering from missed interrupt

I got sick and tired of AppleYukon.kext and AppleYukon2.kext.

This sucks. It keeps dropping my torrents in Transmission after like 15 minutues and has to restart connections to peers!

Why does this keep happening?

I couldn't get skge.kext to work on my 8056:

skgeosx: VendorID:11ab DeviceID:4364 Rev:12

skgeosx ERR: unsupported chip type 0xb4[JMicronATA] PIO mode 0 @ 600 ns

skgeosx ERR: board reset failed

Been trying a few things to see if I can get a trouble-free ethernet connection but it's looking bleak.

AppleYukon2.kext gives me the replaceOrCopyPacket error but internet is otherwise relatively stable.

AppleYukon.kext doesn't give me any error in console, but I constantly get "You are not connected to the internet" errors in Safari. I have to wait 5-10 secs then retry the link to connect. As for large files, I copied a 4GB file from my iBook without any (apparent) trouble.

My AppleYukon.kext is 1.0.11b2. Is this the best version?

UPDATE

OK, hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself here. But I think I've fixed the continuous "You are not connected to the internet" errors in AppleYukon.kext. Go to Network, click the advanced button (Ethernet selected), click on the Ethernet tab at the end and change configure from "automatic" to "manually". Leave the settings at the defaults (100baseTX, full-duplex,flow control, standard(1500)) and click OK. So far so good here.

Guest BuildSmart

The lack of access to the source prevents me from determining if the issue can be corrected and I'm too lazy to search outside of here cause it would require more effort than I'm willing to expend to look at a problem that doesn't affect any hardware I have.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's not that difficult to patch the Info.plist of AppleYukon2.kext (which is inside IONetworkingFamily.kext).

1) open a terminal window and enter:

2) cd /S*/L*/E*

3) sudo cp -R IONetworkingFamily.kext ~/Desktop/

- enter your password

5) cd ~/Desktop/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/

6) sudo nano Info.plist

7) press control+w

8) enter 88E8053 and press enter

9) select this block with your mouse (see box below):

<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
<key>EnableLowPwr</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>yukon2osx</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x436211ab</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>MACNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Model</key>
<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string>
<key>NetworkNumber</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>RxDeadman</key>
<integer>90</integer>
<key>RxRingGrowOnPause</key>
<integer>10</integer>
<key>RxRingSize</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_100MBit</key>
<integer>128</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_10MBit</key>
<integer>64</integer>
<key>RxRingSize_GigaBit</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>TxRingSize</key>
<integer>256</integer>
<key>Vendor</key>
<string>Marvell</string>
</dict>

10) paste it below the section for: 88E8055 (below </dict> on a new line)

- you can either use command+v or the context menu

11) make the following changes (where - is old and + in new):

-<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

+<key>Yukon-88E8056</key>

-<string>0x436211ab</string>

+<string>0x436411ab</string>

-<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string>

+<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string>

12) control + o (write out)

13) control + x (exit)

14) cd ~/Desktop/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/

15) sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/IONetworkingFamily.kext .

- enter password

16) sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

17) sudo touch /S*/L*/Extensions.mkext

18) exit

19) open Disk Utility from: Go -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

20) select disk and click on: "Repair Permissions"

21) reboot (it will ask if you want to clear the boot cache, and yes you need it).

22) done!

I typed this from the top of my head, seriously, that's how many times I did this already. Just use you common sense and do a search for the changes needed for that other device. Again, it isn't really that difficult.

Good luck!

I'm not a help desk so please do not PM me for help!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just installed OSX on my PC (Asus P5B-E Plus) for the first time via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. 10.6.4 runs just fine except for the network (Yukon EE88056 PCI-E), audio, and other stuff like FireWire.

I googled 4-5 hours for a fix on the network driver but it stil doesn't work. Most of them described the same procedure(as the one above) and they all matched what I found on my installation, except for the Extensions.mkext file which I found inside /S*/L*/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup so I deleted it. It reappeared after the reboot as (I hope) expected.

I'm nearing a nervous breakdown, any ideas anyone? pls

Hi,

I just installed OSX on my PC (Asus P5B-E Plus) for the first time via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. 10.6.4 runs just fine except for the network (Yukon EE88056 PCI-E), audio, and other stuff like FireWire.

I googled 4-5 hours for a fix on the network driver but it stil doesn't work. Most of them described the same procedure(as the one above) and they all matched what I found on my installation, except for the Extensions.mkext file which I found inside /S*/L*/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup so I deleted it. It reappeared after the reboot as (I hope) expected.

I'm nearing a nervous breakdown, any ideas anyone? pls

I have the same problem, on my ASUSTeK P5E motherboard. I got the audio working with VoodoHDA.kext.

But I'm growing tired of the network problems!

I have the same problem, on my ASUSTeK P5E motherboard. I got the audio working with VoodoHDA.kext.

But I'm growing tired of the network problems!

Mine works now. For some reason, after I installed the developer tools it detected the device :P

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...