Resize MBR partition

~pcwiz

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have Leopard running on an MBR partition. I need some space to store some Windows files. Would there be any way to resize this MBR partition? I've read that you can only do it with GUID, but it would be great if there was some 3rd party tool that could do it.

Thanks

I got Leopard on MBR too. Since none of the third party apps and bootCD's have worked for me yet (as far as resizing goes) I didn't think it was possible but I just booted ubuntu and used gparted and it actually worked this time ;) I can't believe it cause I always used to get an error with hfs+, something like this filesystem is not readable or whatever and it would never let me move or resize :( I only shrunk it like 2gb just to see but it all seems fine. I'm not sure why, maybe the newest gparted supports hfs+ now... you could try it

EDIT: Can't expand/increase the size of the hfs+ partition, only shrink... kinda weird

Hi,

I have Leopard running on an MBR partition. I need some space to store some Windows files. Would there be any way to resize this MBR partition? I've read that you can only do it with GUID, but it would be great if there was some 3rd party tool that could do it.

Thanks

Just use Parted Magic LiveCD, and it's based off GParted.

• 10 months later...
Hi,

Thanks

Had been searching many times within the past year on how to do this becuz I somehow always need to change partition/space configurations - I experiment with my pcs too much-

I've seen the method mentioned of GParted, iPartition also seems to perform this job (is this the only piece of software out there that does this?).

I came across my own method using disk utility. It's not a real rezise, rather a deletion of old partitions and then setting up the partitions and formatting with desired sizes.

I created a .dmg image of my current installation, using iPC 10.5.6 install disk and an external USB Drive (had to boot from the DVD with the drive attached before boot). Using Disk Utility I created the .dmg image saved to the ext. usb drive. Erased/Reformatted the Disk to the size I wanted. I added 20GB to the current size. Used the 'restore' tab after selecting the now empty partition specifying the .dmg image and the disk and hit the restore button.

My current installation was copied from the .dmg to my newly prepared larger partition.

Final stage : I had to boot again from the dvd, specifying the rootdisk - rd=disk*s* and re-installing Chameleon to the drive. After that I was able to boot from my MacOS X Partition with my install as it was when I made the .dmg

Of course I came back to the web to see if anyone ever came across this solution - and I decided to post mine own results. For all those who have been looking, I hope this helps.

Can't get XP to isntall and boot on the NTFS partition on the drive tho. Neither Vista. Win7 installs and works fine.

Ah well.

Good luck all. I'd b happy to help anyone having trouble with this.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

Thanks

i guess you must disable journaling on hfs+ volume and then you would be able to shrink and enlarge as well. not quite sure, i made this 2 years ago, but worth a try.

• 1 year later...
Had been searching many times within the past year on how to do this becuz I somehow always need to change partition/space configurations - I experiment with my pcs too much-

I've seen the method mentioned of GParted, iPartition also seems to perform this job (is this the only piece of software out there that does this?).

I came across my own method using disk utility. It's not a real rezise, rather a deletion of old partitions and then setting up the partitions and formatting with desired sizes.

I created a .dmg image of my current installation, using iPC 10.5.6 install disk and an external USB Drive (had to boot from the DVD with the drive attached before boot). Using Disk Utility I created the .dmg image saved to the ext. usb drive. Erased/Reformatted the Disk to the size I wanted. I added 20GB to the current size. Used the 'restore' tab after selecting the now empty partition specifying the .dmg image and the disk and hit the restore button.

My current installation was copied from the .dmg to my newly prepared larger partition.

Final stage : I had to boot again from the dvd, specifying the rootdisk - rd=disk*s* and re-installing Chameleon to the drive. After that I was able to boot from my MacOS X Partition with my install as it was when I made the .dmg

Of course I came back to the web to see if anyone ever came across this solution - and I decided to post mine own results. For all those who have been looking, I hope this helps.

Can't get XP to isntall and boot on the NTFS partition on the drive tho. Neither Vista. Win7 installs and works fine.

Ah well.

Good luck all. I'd b happy to help anyone having trouble with this.

This is exactly what I need to do. I'm not very much for command line stuff so I need some guidance. I have installed Lion with the latest Chimera since my system won't boot with previous versions of Chameleon. What steps do I have to take? I know how to boot with the DVD and restore my .dmg image to the newly formatted drive, but what steps should I take after? More specifically, how/where do I specify the root disk (I do know how to find my root disk) and how do I re-install my version of Chimera?

Thanks!