Software RAID + Vista (in IDE Disk) = Dual Booting!

14 posts in this topic

Okey, I have two SATA Disks in Software RAID, where Leopard is installed and running flawless, with Chameleon EFI.

In the other hand, i have an ATA disk where Windows Vista is installed, in JMicron Controller (ABIT IP35 PRO).

The main question is:

How to dual-boot both?

Okey, I have two SATA Disks in Software RAID, where Leopard is installed and running flawless, with Chameleon EFI.

In the other hand, i have an ATA disk where Windows Vista is installed, in JMicron Controller (ABIT IP35 PRO).

The main question is:

How to dual-boot both?

I don't understand your Raid setup. What I understand is that you have Leo in Raid 0 on two SATA drives for sure.

And another PATA or IDE disk with Vista on it. Is it right?

Anyway, if you want to dual boot, go on your Vista disk and install EasyBCD (download here) and choose on the Mac OS X tab textbox Platform "Generic x86 PC".

Et voila! Suppose to run great :(

More infos

You can try this:

I used Darwin bootloader it's not difficult if you want to use them !!

- Install vista in first and leopard in second (possible Vista on second partition and leopard on first, your MBR will be better and darwin too)

- After leopard installation, vista cannot start !!

Boot on leopard DVD and in option/terminal :

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

flag Y

update

write

quit

With X your disk number and Y your partition number (Vista partition)

diskutil list == in terminal to obtain disk info

After then, boot on Vista DVD chose your language and chose repair / reboot (auto)

When your computer reboot, you can use vista but not leopard !!

To corrige them boot on Leopard DVD and in terminal write the same command change just disk number (if different) and partition number to repair leopard MBR.

To finish when you reboot, on darwin laptime, push enter and select your OS

Enjoy !!

Seriously, RAID 0 is very painfuly! I don't see very much the utility of a RAID stripping. Yeah, like 20 years ago in servers was pretty useful but now... I understand, for the performances etc. And GUID is good but I prefered personnaly MBR. Anyway, did you find a solution.

The only one I saw is try to moded your BCD in vista with trying new entry for OSx?!

Yeah, sorry for my blank. I've got something interesting ;)

Okay. So start an administrative shell--you'll have to go to the command prompt in the start menu and right click on it, and choose run as administrator.

This will bring up an administrator shell. From here, type bcdedit /enum active

This will print out the active boot entries. If you have one for an "Existing windows installation" pay attention to the ID--it'll probably be {legacy}

[This color =Commands to write]

If you've got a {legacy}, follow these instructions. If not, skip past this bit.

Next, we'll copy that entry. To do this, we use the command:

bcdedit /copy {legacy} /d "Mac OS X"

Now we're going to set up the chain0 loader. You need to make sure chain0 (you can get it here) is on the root of the drive your existing windows install is on.

Now type:

bcdedit /enum active

You'll get all the active entries again. Look for the one with the description "Mac OS X." Keep track of the ID--you'll need it for the next step. Use the command:

bcdedit /set {ID OF YOUR OSX ENTRY} PATH \chain0

If you had an existing installation, that's it. You're done.

If not, here's the instructions for you (a little less detail)

bcdedit /create {MACOSX} /d "Mac OS X"

bcdedit /set {MACOSX} PATH \chain0 (make sure chain0 is at the root of your windows drive)

bcdedit /set {MACOSX} device boot

That should work-- I'm not entirely sure because I don't have a Vista-only box.

Any suggestions? Attempts?

I forgot the chain0 technic men!!! Sorry but try that :(

For multiple drives you should use tboot instead of chain0 method, but why don't you create 2 partitions on your sata drives? You can use partition 1 from drive one for Vista, partitions 2 from drive 1 and 2 for Apple RAID and partition 2 from drive 2 for DATA or something else. No need for an extra IDE drive then.

For multiple drives you should use tboot instead of chain0 method, but why don't you create 2 partitions on your sata drives? You can use partition 1 from drive one for Vista, partitions 2 from drive 1 and 2 for Apple RAID and partition 2 from drive 2 for DATA or something else. No need for an extra IDE drive then.

I have a question for you Swords. Did you have native RAID via your motherboard and your SATA controller (like Jmicron) or hardware RAID (like PCI RAID card) cause I look to your sig and I was very impress by your Raid. Or fascinated if would like lol! 1,5 Tb it's pretty much stock :unsure:

I have a question for you Swords. Did you have native RAID via your motherboard and your SATA controller (like Jmicron) or hardware RAID (like PCI RAID card) cause I look to your sig and I was very impress by your Raid. Or fascinated if would like lol! 1,5 Tb it's pretty much stock :spam:

As far as I know booting from bios software RAID or Hardware RAID (the cheap PCI cards are also software) on hackintosh isn't possible. I'm booting of an Apple Software RAID, using BIOS software or OS software doesn't really matter anyway, it would be nice to be able to boot from an Areca, which might be possible, but it's a lot of money for a gamble. Click on the screenshot in my sig, as you can see I've devided all three drives in 3 partitions (25,25,410) which gives me two 75 GB RAID 0 (stripe) drives (bootable, one for my main os, one to test things on) and a 1.2 TB drive for my data (I'm using my hackintosh as a download/fileserver for 1080p movies to my MediaPortal HTPC). If you want to tripple/quad boot, you could create 4 partitions and leave one partition on each drive not in RAID so you could install Vista, XP and whatever. Or you could create an extra RAID 1 (mirror) drive for important data.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been reading much of these issues for long ago, but i can't make it dual boot which is;

I have 2 sata discs with raid0 Vista installed in ICH10R on Bios.

1st method I tried;

1a)

I created 2 Raid volumes with Ctrl+I method in Bios. One is for 200Gb (then i made two 100Gb. partitions while installing Vista). I installed Vista first on 100Gb. and other one is for my backups.

1b)

The last 98Gb for Leopard.

I installed Vista was ok. Leopard installed too, than no boot at all.

2nd method I tried;

I did same thing which I followed on 1a above but left rest as it was.

And tried to make Raid0 with these left alone space (which is 49gb from disc1 and 49bg from disc2) in Disk Utility in Leopard.=No way... because Leo see my two HDD with their all 160gb space. (It doesn't recognize IH10R Raid arrays.

3rd method I tried;

Same as 2nd method instead I tried to instal Leopard without raid (which i used 49gb from the disc1)=No way...

Make this thing short;

I want to install Vista on Raid0. And want to install Leopard with dual boot. It will be perfect too, if Leopard could install with any Raid version. But its not so important if can't, because Leopard works fast enough on my pc without Raid.

So how to make dual boot with Vista and Leopard together in two 160Gb HDD (Vista should be on Raid0)?

Thanks in Advance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Asus P5Q3, Intel E8500CPU(1333Mhz. Bus), OCZ-2x1Gb.(1600Mhz.Bus), Ati Radeon HD4850, 2xSamsung Sprigpoint 160Gb, 1xSeagate Barracuda 320Gb.(for Data Storage), ZALMAN 160XT Plus Case with 7"touchscreen, Philips 22" Lcd,