Leopard HD install helper v0.3(Win32) <2009-04-18>

85 posts in this topic

Author: pcspcs @ pcbeta.com

bbs.pcbeta.com/thread-272691-1-1.html

=====================================

Description: Dump leopard ISO to a HD partition , then install leopard from this partition.

No need burn a DVD. It's faster.

I have tried use Leopard's DiskUtil Restore a ISO to a partition , but can't boot from it.

This Leopard HD install helper v0.3 works well.

This software is chinese GUI , I take a snapshot and mark all chinses to english.(see english_gui.png)

Windows XP , 2000 , 2003 only , vista NOT Tested!

===========================================

Guide:

Step 1: Format a PRIMARY FAT32 partition . (Make sure no file or directory) <--- We called this partition as Install Partition

Step 2: Use DiskPart create a PRIMARY partition for leopard install in. See here <--- We called this partition as Destination Partition

Step 3: Run "Leopard HD install helper" and select a ISO file.

Step 4: Select the Install Partition and Click "Start" Button.

Step 5: When its done . reboot.

Now , you can install leopard from HD , the rest steps are same as use DVD to install. good luck!

NOTE: The "Start" button will disabled when the Install Partition has file or directory , check if has "System volume Information" directory. If "Start" button still disabled , try re-select iso file , try re-select target partition , try check , uncheck "write" checkbox. It's wierd.

If you want use this tool dump ISO to USB Stick , you must find some tool to hack the "Gray Start Button".

Tested ISO File:

Leo4allv3.iso

Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso

Leopard-10.5.2-AMD-EFI-Rev2.iso

iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1.iso

iATKOS v5i.iso

Use as your own RISK!

======================================

Important:

If the Install Partition can't boot , please check the partition is active and it's ID is AF.

Otherwise , use partition tools such as Paragon Partition Manager change it.

Remober: Do NOT format the Install Partition. what you need to to is mark the Install Partition to active and change the ID of the Install Partition to AF.

The files boot1h , boot_v8 , boot in the attachment are necessary , be sure they with the main program ddmac.exe at same folder.

=======================================

EDIT1:

The recently release , such as iPC , iDeneb v1.4 was NOT compatible with Leopard HD Install Helper .

Because these all release use Chameleon-1.0.11 or PC_EFI v9.

When boot , it's show below infomation and stuck.

H0000003F
  ]-00000041
  =00000001
  }*!-007C87D7
  =007C007E
  Y

Please goto below Post #3 to see Solution. Post #3 Update 2009-04-18

However if all recently release maker can made a little patch to add boot to root directory of ISO , that will be easy more.

First at all :

1.Use Leopard HD Installer Help(be sure uncheck the last two checkbox) dump iso to a Install Partition.

2. Download Chameleon-1.0.11 and dd for win. There is a file named boot1h in Chameleon-1.0.11 Package , use dd for win write boot1h to your Install Partition.

Guide of use dd for win write boot1h to Install Partition:

1.Use dd --list to find the NT Block Device Object name of your Install Partition , for example , found the NT Block Device Object name of your Install Partition is ?DeviceHarddisk0Partition3.

2. Backup two blocks of your Install Partition.

dd if=?DeviceHarddisk0Partition3 of=c:my_bak count=2 bs=512 3. write boot1h to Install Partition

dd if=c:boot1h of=?DeviceHarddisk0Partition3

Method1:

Use this guide or this guide boot from BOOT-132 CD , then type the right Harddisk number.

Method2:

Install MacDrive , then you can write HFS+ partition. so copy the file boot from Chameleon-1.0.11 to your root directory of Install Partition.

post-106808-1235189318_thumb.png

Leopard_hd_install_helper_v0.3.zip

Edited by twilight.lee
  • Like 1

Solution for use Leopard HD Install helper install recently 10.5.6 ISO releases stuck on boot.

When boot , it's will show information like below , then stuck.

H0000003F
]-00000041
=00000001
}*!-007C87D7
=007C007E
Y

There are three methods to sovle this problem.

Method1:

Use this guide or this guide boot from BOOT-132 CD , then type the right Harddisk number.

Method1: (Recommend) Update 2009-04-18

Step1: Use Leopard HD Install helper (make sure the last three checkbox unchecked)dump your 10.5.6 ISO to Install Partition.

Step2: Read this post , use Chameleon2.0RC1 boot.

If you do NOT have wnidows 2000/2003/XP , you also can boot Chameleon2.0RC1 from USB Stick , Read this post for detail , you just need replace yourBOOT-132CD.iso with chameleo.iso.

Method2:

Find a old release ISO , such as iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1.iso , Format & Make Bootable HD for Leopard.iso , Use Leopard HD install helper dump the old ISO to Destination Partition , then boot.

This method require the Destination Partition and the Install Partition at the same harddisk.

Method2:

Step1: Download attachment miniboot.zip , then extract it to C:\;

Step2: Use Leopard HD Install helper dump miniboot.iso to Destination Partition.

Step3: Use Leopard HD Install helper dump your 10.5.6 ISO to Install Partition.

Step4: Use dd for win write boot1h(extract from miniboot.zip) to Destination Partition.

This method require the Destination Partition and the Install Partition at the same harddisk.

NOTE: If you use Method2 or Method3, sometimes DiskUtility will show error when earse Destination Partition , there is a little trick to solve it : Use MS-DOS FAT format erase Destination Partition once , then use Mac Extended Journal erase Destination Partition.

You can download dd for win here

post-106808-1235396679_thumb.png

post-106808-1235396691_thumb.png

post-106808-1235396698_thumb.png

post-106808-1235396705_thumb.png

miniboot.zip

Edited by twilight.lee

• 4 weeks later...

If the Install Partition can't boot , please check the partition is active and it's ID is AF.

Remober: Do NOT format the Install Partition. what you need to to is mark the Install Partition to active

and change the ID of the Install Partition to AF.

Edited by twilight.lee

• 3 months later...
If the partition can't boot , please check the partition is active and it's ID is 0xAF.

hey twilight

can i get a little help please...

i tried "Leopard HD install helper v0.3" with an iATKOS DVD (will try with the suggested Kalyway) but the external USB HDD is still not bootable.

is there an easy way to make it bootable ?

• 2 weeks later...
hey twilight

can i get a little help please...

i tried "Leopard HD install helper v0.3" with an iATKOS DVD (will try with the suggested Kalyway) but the external USB HDD is still not bootable.

is there an easy way to make it bootable ?

Use external USB HDD to do this is NOT a good option, I tried many times with different ISO , No lucky for me , always stuck at "waiting for a root device".

If you want , you can try this:

1. Add tboot to your PC's NTLoader menu.(Assume your os of PC is WinXP or win2003 etc.)

2. Shutdonw your PC and link your external USB HDD to PC.

3. Boot from your PC's HardDisk. In NTLoader Menu choose tboot.

If you are lucky , tboot will find the HFS+ partition of your external USB HDD and boot it.

I'm having a hard time changing my partitions ID to 0xAF mine is 0x0C AND I'm using Paragon's Partition Manger 9.0 so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

More Information?

If Paragon's Partition Manger 9.0 don't work , try other Partition tools.

can it works with retail leopard 10.5? i have the ISO, unpatched

TQ

The Author says this tool is NOT design for any special ISO , but can NOT guarantee every ISO works.

So you can try, and tell us it's works or NOT.

PS : I tried iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1 , It's works well.

"Use external USB HDD to do this is NOT a good option, I tried many times with different ISO , No lucky for me , always stuck at "waiting for a root device".

1. Add tboot to your PC's NTLoader menu.(Assume your os of PC is WinXP or win2003 etc.)

If you are lucky , tboot will find the HFS+ partition of your external USB HDD and boot it."

Thanks.

I dont know tboot.

Can you explain how do i edit needed files on winXP (boot.ini ?) to get that working ?

my WinXP boot.ini:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff

I'm using an internal hard drive I have two hard drives in my HP Pavilion Slimeline s7700n ones a Western Digital 250gig and the other one is a Maxtor 120gig and I'm trying to boot Leo from the Maxtor but when I try to change my partition Id it won't let me. 0xAF isn't in the drop down list and when I enter it manually I can only enter AF and it says unknown and won't format it for me. I know you said try other partition tools do you have you or anybody know of any other good ones? :D

"Use external USB HDD to do this is NOT a good option, I tried many times with different ISO , No lucky for me , always stuck at "waiting for a root device".

If you are lucky , tboot will find the HFS+ partition of your external USB HDD and boot it."

Thanks.

I dont know tboot.

Can you explain how do i edit needed files on winXP (boot.ini ?) to get that working ?

my WinXP boot.ini:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff

copy tboot to your c:\ (assume your windows install on C:\) , and edit boot.ini add below line:

c:\tboot="Leopard"

PS: you can find tboot in Leopard_hd_install_helper_v0.3.zip

I'm using an internal hard drive I have two hard drives in my HP Pavilion Slimeline s7700n ones a Western Digital 250gig and the other one is a Maxtor 120gig and I'm trying to boot Leo from the Maxtor but when I try to change my partition Id it won't let me. 0xAF isn't in the drop down list and when I enter it manually I can only enter AF and it says unknown and won't format it for me. I know you said try other partition tools do you have you or anybody know of any other good ones? ;)

Do you follow my instruction?

Guide:

Step 1: Format a FAT32 partition , (Make sure no file or directory)

Step 2: Run "Leopard HD install helper" and select a ISO file.

Step 3: Select target partition and Click "Start" Button.

Step 4: When its done . reboot.

I said :"If the partition can't boot , please check the partition is active and it's ID is 0xAF."

If the partition can't boot , you only need to do is make sure the partition is active and change it's ID to 0xAF.

***Do NOT format the Partition***

The Author says this tool is NOT design for any special ISO , but can NOT guarantee every ISO works.

So you can try, and tell us it's works or NOT.

PS : I tried iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1 , It's works well.

hmm but to confirm, i dont think retail 10.5 can be installed into normal pc w/out modification upon kernel right? ive tried lastime, but in burned dvd, i got error where it cant continue install because of multiple/ more cores cpu detected. correct me if im wrong..

TQ

twilight I'm a noob I'll put that out now but you told me to format a partition then you told me not for the partition at the end I'm confused I followed your instructions to the "T" and I can't seem to get it to work. What am I doing wrong? ;)

Macmania , I think what I said is very clear.

Guide:

Step 1: Format a FAT32 partition , (Make sure no file or directory) <-------- Need Format

Step 2: Run "Leopard HD install helper" and select a ISO file.

Step 3: Select target partition and Click "Start" Button.

Step 4: When its done . reboot.

After done these 4 Steps , if you are lucky , when your pc reboot , you can select tboot menu item from your NTLoader menu , then you can start install.

If you are NOT lucky , the partition can't boot , Goto step5 .

Step5: Check the partition is active and it's ID is 0xAF.

Otherwise , use partition tools such as Paragon Partition Manager change it. <--------- DO NOT FORMART , ONLY CHANGE ID AND MARK ACTIVE

PS: This instruction assume your PC already intsalled WinXP or other OS which include NTLoader.

If you still not understand , please find more *tboot* topic to read.

hmm but to confirm, i dont think retail 10.5 can be installed into normal pc w/out modification upon kernel right? ive tried lastime, but in burned dvd, i got error where it cant continue install because of multiple/ more cores cpu detected. correct me if im wrong..

TQ

This tool is just a way instead DVD install.

If you can burn the ISO to DVD and install success , then you can use this tool write the ISO to a partition to install.

Otherwise , the result is same.

Hey Twilight I don't think I can do it simply because NTLDR is an abbreviation for New Technology Loader, and it is the boot loader for all the releases of Microsoft’s Windows NT operating system up to Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. In Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, NTLDR has been replaced by Windows Boot Manager and winload.exe. I don't have Windows Xp I have Windows Vista. All Your Help is Greatly appreciated. I just want to try to get it working like you guys but if I can't I'll accept defeat. I just like a challenge you know?