Successful installation of 10.5.2 on Toshiba Portege M200

Cypherion

28 posts in this topic

I was successful in installing 10.5.2 Kalyway on my Portege M200 after 8 times of installation. I thought my installation was not successful because I ended up with a blank screen after the Mac Logo appeared. Seems that the resolution on the M200 needs to be limited to 1024x768. So I used the parameters "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" during bootup, and voila it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Portege M200

Install Method: Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

Chipset: Intel

Processor: Intel 1.6Ghz

Audio: AC97 - Unknown model, works with no patches (must set in bios)

Ethernet: Onboard works with no patches.

WIFI: Intel 2100 - Works (Unstable) using iwi2200.kext and nsGUI/networkselector - http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ or swap Intel 2100 for Broadcom card with Broadcom patch on install dvd.

Video: NVIDIA 5200go - 2D support with NVinjectGo0.2.0 - Cant change resolution, no QE/CI support - Edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to get 1400x1050 - No support for Movie Playback (iTunes,VLC,Quicktime)

USB: Works with Usbfix1.3 - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

WACOM: Install Tabletmagic http://thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic/ and edit /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change the IONameMatch string from PNP0501 to WACF004 , delete kextcaches and reboot.

Use Extras tab in Tablet Magic Prefpane to check "Dont Query Digitizer" and enter 24590 x 18350 then enable daemon. (Dont forget to enable Inkwell)

How to install: This laptop doesnt have a cd drive, use another pc or laptop to install it, during install select the sse2 patch.

From the 10.5.2 HCL...... im installing right now but does the video work anybetter, or have u not gotten that far yet and what about wifi?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm putting this here because I've collected this from various other parts of the forums, but I haven't seen it all in one space.

I could get everything working on mine, except the video. It would boot up to a blank screen, I could hear the music going, and the voice audio walkthrough.

So here's what eventually worked:

As mentioned above, you want the NVinjectGo driver (not NVinjectGo512).

At the boot: prompt, type -s

boot: -s

Once you're at root, be sure to mount the filesystem:

:/ root# fsck -fy

:/ root# mount -uw /

Now you're going to want to run "/movevideodrivers":

:/ root# /movevideodrivers

Type 'yes' to all of the prompts EXCEPT the question about the "NVinject_Natit_ATYinject" driver, type 'no'

Once that's finished, you need to edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist:

:/ root# pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

In this file, underneath <key>Kernel Flags</key>, you want to change:

<string></string>

to

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32"</string>

Hit CTRL+x to get out of there, it should prompt you to save the file. Save it.

Now type "exit" and in a few minutes you should be looking at your newly installed OSX!

(Don't forget ALT+q will get you out of the Registration Information)

I hope this helps someone.

• 4 weeks later...

thank for your sharing,

I've been reinstall it for many time, after patching my machine getting randomize kernel panic, and the worse case it unrecoverable.

my issue is:

- to get iwi200 got work, i've install pcmcia atheros chipset but kernel become unstable after patching PCMCIA issue

- time machine not work properly, I cannot restore file and screen not shown time machine screen (some like freeze)

does any body ever install portege m200 with iATKOS v4 (10.5.4) ? now i plan to install it after finish my download

_wd

Portege M200 Kalyway 10.5.2 SSE2/3 patch by JaS, NVInjectGO, kernel speedstep, Centrino 1,5Ghz1.25G Memory 160G Hardisk IDE. WIFI intel not Work yet

DON'T LETS YOUR SCREEN BLANK WHILE INSTALLATION OR YOU WILL GET IT NEVER BACK

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks you for your instuctions, I'll try it this weekend... I have a few questions: Does integrated bluetooth works? and does PCMCIA works fine? I really need bluetooth and it's a problem for me to use a usb bluetooth dongle without working pcmcia-slot (for additional usb controller)

PS I also want to try JAS 10.5.4, I will tell you about results...

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

first of all i have to thank you, for this great threat (and forum).

I got OS X (10.5.2) running on my toshiba portégé m200, after editing the Boot.plist to start with "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32". But when i check the resolution in settings, it's 1280x1024 - can't change this. Does someone of you know how to edit some files to get 1400x1050x32?? searched for this, but mac is new for me, don't understand everything.

Did not know how to make screenshots, but my 'com.apple.Boot.plist' looks like this:

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32"</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Well perhaps someone can help me, would be great =)

best wishes from germany

Yeah, definitely a thanks from me too! This has been a great tool to refer to, but I still can't seem to get this to work the way it "should". Ack, so I've been successful quite a few times in installing OS 10.5.2 on a Portege M200, but then I can't seem to get anything to work as it has been instructed/directed above.

1) No sound...looked at a few places and still couldn't seem to enable it.

2) Same issue as above - only get 1280x1024, but I guess I'm actually OK with the resolution as it is (even tho I've also modified that Graphics Mode line).

3) Touch Screen isn't working -- Tablet Magic, every time I "Enable Digitizer" and change the settings as described above, the computer reboots and resets the settings so that it says: "Tablet: Daemon Not Running", Don't Query is checked but the Digitizer Range resets itself to 00000x00000.

I've managed to get a touchscreen monitor to work on another hackintosh that I have by using a "Touchkit" app, and so tried that on tabletMac but that hasn't seemed to help since the computer doesn't recognize a tablet at all.

I've also installed a different Wacom Tablet on a different hackintosh with the software that come with the tablet and that worked fine...so I don't understand what's going on with this tabletMac...?

4) I haven't even TRIED to start with the ethernet or the WiFi stuff....b/c this other stuff is driving me INSANE, does anyone have any help?

5) I also can't get the battery status to work...even after checking out a few topics, including: http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t87360.html and plenty more....

I've tried EVERYTHING that is listed above in all the replies....so perhaps I'll try re-installing but could someone please let me know what you checked when the OSX Installer Screen comes up?

--Which Kernel

--Which Patches

--Which Audio

--Which Display/Video (should I try the one for the laptop? the 512)

--Pretty much everything - which is checked and which is unchecked???

THANKS!!!!

@amoicani: Which installation CD did you use? I installed with Kalyway 10.5.2 without any problems. didn't un-/check anything in the audio section. all by default. and my sound works great - strange....

- Starting the Hackintosh isn't able without typing "speedkernel" at Darwin Bootscreen, because this is the only kernel which uses SSE2. You have to check the 'SSE2 patch' during install, of cause.

- Video Driver is NVinjectGo v.0.2.0

- Ethernet works out of the box - no problems

- WLAN 'tries to' work with "iwi2200.kext". Can see the Networks, but can't connect.

- Have installed TabletMagic, but didn't work for me.. :D

greetings

Hey surf_opi - Thanks for your reply!

I also used the Kalyway 10.5.2. installation, I didn't uncheck anything in audio and in System Preferences even when I check the box to show sound in the menu bar, I don't get to see that (of course it doesn't seem to recognize that I have sound in the first place, so I'm sure that's why it won't give me the icon). In Post #3 above it says - "must set in bios" -- but I'm not sure how to do that?

I can start without having to input anything @ Darwin Bootscreen -- after the intial modification of the com.apple.Boot.plist file. (I went ahead and entered: 1024x768x32, but it worked when I entered 1280x1024x32 also.), interesting...I wonder what will happen when I startup with "speedkernel" (I believe I checked that SSE2 patch also, b/c of the million times I've tried it, by process of elimination, it did seem necessary -- so cool that at least I did THAT part right!).

Finally checked ethernet -- and yay, it does work. WOO HOO!

Does SLEEP work for you?

I didn't have to do a fix for the USB ports to work....

It looks like people have gotten the touchscreen to work in UBUNTU -- wonder if that's worth trying?

Oh, I have a really stupid ? -- can you explain how to delete kextcaches? I see that in the instructions above, but when I looked in the Extensions directory, I didn't see .kextcaches file and I thought I read that that's where it should be..... I saw the "Extensions.mkext" file...but nothing else.

Thanks! :(

Hey -- so I finally got the tablet part to work...and the thing is, it took a LOT of messing around with the TABLET MAGIC settings and ALSO looking into the serial ports. I dragged myself through as many pages of this that I could.... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=TabletMagic -- which was a lotta help, but quite time consuming. :)

I also downloaded and installed the only MAC driver that I could from WACOM's site, even though it wasn't for the tablet PC, I THINK it might've helped. The thing that helped me the most was finding out that if TabletMagic has "Automatic" set in the "Port" field (the first drop down menu item), it didn't work...not until I was able to choose "serial0" (for a while it never changed, only "Automatic" was the option), did the "Tablet:" field show: "ISD V4.0 (TabletPC)"....and then all was reading perfectly!

Sorry, it's hard for me now to remember ALL of the things that I did and it might not have even been necessary, but I do know that after doing all of this, everything with the actual tablet functionality is working. So, I used all the settings mentioned above but I also had to manually re-load the kext, I think. And I also used "xxd /dev/ttys001" to discover that it was finally working...I had intially been trying "xxd /dev/ttys0" (or ttys1 or ttys2), but nothing was working.

So it wasn't until I had it all working AND I had the pen from inside the battery holder in my hand that I saw that it was being recognized....so I'm gonna see if I can get a different one that I have to work also (by loading up that software). So I'd say the downside is that you can't just use ANY stylus for a Tablet...didn't know that (I'm used to PALM -- which I KNOW is a big difference, but to be honest with you, I hadn't realized HOW different.

The upside is that you can "write on" the screen with your pen without it actually recognizing palm pressing or other areas that you might touch the tablet (like accidental taps on the touchpad).

I still need to get sound to work and I'd like to find out if I can get this to turn around (as a windows computer apparently closed as a "tablet" you can change the layout either portrait or landscape and either rightside up or upside down...and the reason that is key is b/c in my lap right now, the fan is blowing HOT air at me...ick.

Thanks a million times over to Scott for developing this -- and to everyone else for all of your hard work and any/all advice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have tried this many times through removing the HDD and plugging it into another pc... (no bootable cd drive) is this how you are doing it? or you have a compatable drive?

Now my portege just boots to NTLDR missing I have spent hours looking for a solution for this (tried reinstalling xp to fix any boot problems) but it still happens..

I would be so greatful if anyone could help.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but did anyone come up with an answer as to how you install Leopard on this M200?

If you just pop in the DVD and use the CD-RW drive that comes with the laptop (connects by USB), it won't work....

• 4 weeks later...

I too am sorry to revive a dead thread. I can't wait to get this up & running and am trying hard w/ many distro's.

I use a PCMCIA optical drive but always get the 'still waiting for root device' no matter which distro or options I use.

Did you guys use a USB optical drive or PCMCIA? I've put in alot of time into this and will not give up. Please if any of you are watching this thread, which distro did you use and how did you boot? PCMCIA? USB? Thanks so much to anyone who might be able to help just a little. I feel once I get past this & install I'll be able to figure out the rest as you have. Thanks! Once I get the install to start I hope/think I'll be good w/ everything else.

• 4 weeks later...
I too am sorry to revive a dead thread. I can't wait to get this up & running and am trying hard w/ many distro's.

Did you guys use a USB optical drive or PCMCIA? I've put in alot of time into this and will not give up. Please if any of you are watching this thread, which distro did you use and how did you boot? PCMCIA? USB? Thanks so much to anyone who might be able to help just a little. I feel once I get past this & install I'll be able to figure out the rest as you have. Thanks! Once I get the install to start I hope/think I'll be good w/ everything else.

Hi there! Sorry for a slow reply, but I thought I'd letcha know that I used a USB drive, however I had to use one that was independently powered to get it to install (I tried one of my usb dvd drives that is supposed to be portable and therefore powered by the computer, and it didn't work).

I used KALYWAY 10.5.2 -- haven't upgraded yet b/c I have it working almost perfectly and don't wanna spend the time tweaking again...but the tablet works well (though I'd love for it to work better - more like the iPhone), and ethernet is good....only things I don't have going are the wiFi, pcCard, & sdCard slots....but they're not soooo important for me at the moment.

Feel free to PM me if you want some tips/advice - I'll try to help as best as I can.

Good luck to you all! =D

Hi there! Sorry for a slow reply, but I thought I'd letcha know that I used a USB drive, however I had to use one that was independently powered to get it to install (I tried one of my usb dvd drives that is supposed to be portable and therefore powered by the computer, and it didn't work).

I used KALYWAY 10.5.2 -- haven't upgraded yet b/c I have it working almost perfectly and don't wanna spend the time tweaking again...but the tablet works well (though I'd love for it to work better - more like the iPhone), and ethernet is good....only things I don't have going are the wiFi, pcCard, & sdCard slots....but they're not soooo important for me at the moment.

Feel free to PM me if you want some tips/advice - I'll try to help as best as I can.

Good luck to you all! =D

Thank you very much, I appreciate your reply. It sounds like I'll have to get an external USB drive up & running. As best I can tell everyone who's had success has been w/ a USB drive, not a PCMCIA optical drive like I have. Thanks again!

Thank you very much, I appreciate your reply. It sounds like I'll have to get an external USB drive up & running. As best I can tell everyone who's had success has been w/ a USB drive, not a PCMCIA optical drive like I have. Thanks again!

I had the same problem... You have to plug the PCMCIA DVD-ROM and if you got it a USB DVD-ROM drive. You have to boot the Kalyway DVD with the PCMCIA DVD-ROM, select the -v mode and when it hang, swap the Installation DVD from the PCMCIA drive to the USB drive... Magically the installation should start without any problem...

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for providing this information, I've been trying for months to get it to work on my laptop. I downloaded and installed the wifi driver and was able to connect to unencrypted networks but I found it caused problems at bootup - it would keep asking me to do a force shutdown so I'm sticking with ethernet for the moment. Wasn't able to get Tablet Magic working but I don't have a great need for it anyway.

I'm trying to upgrade it to 10.5.3 so I can install the iPhone SDK. I've tried installing Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update, iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 and iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 but none have worked. I'm going to download JaS 10.5.4 Client Server and Leo4All 10.5.2 with Jas 10.5.3 patch, but without knowing the right tweaks and install options it will probably not work.

The 10.5.3 Kalyway update does seem to work (I didn't upgrade the kernel to 9.3) but the LCD screen goes blank, though plugging in an external monitor before you boot up works. Strangely enough, MacOS works better with my external widescreen monitor than Windows XP.

BTW if you get kernel panic (a message at bootup asking you to restart) boot into windows, restart and then boot MacOS. Seems to resolve it for me.

Here is my experience (so far) installing os X on the Toshiba M200 - same specs at the one quoted here:

GOT THEM ALL

-You name it I got it as far as working installs of osx86- Jas, IPC, Kalyway, Iaktos (or whatever its called) from 10.4.7 to 10.5.6....., and I tried them all- took a week and half of testing...,

BIOS UPDATE?

-I wasn't getting anywhere so I decided to update BIOS from 1.60 to 1.80 from the Toshiba website- even though the product code didn't match exactly, I booted in PC mode (dual boot) gave it a try, crossed my fingers and it worked.

INSTALL

- I don't have an external USB DVD drive and PXE install is too complicated if at all for OSX (could not figure it out) SO I used a desktop computer - I bought a $7 (CDN) specialty adapter to convert the 2.5 notebook hard drive to 3.5. ( I suspect some of the versions of osx86 did not work for my laptop because they are incompatiable with the desktop's operating system)

MY OTHER MAC

-The desktop used is an asrock 1333-667 wolfdale motherboard with gma950 graphics and is currently running 10.5.6 with full CI/QE @ 1050x1024x32 with plist edit. I got this mothetboard because I knew it was going to work with full CI/QE so I could run Final Cut Pro.

IF YOU DON"T WANT PROBLEMS WITH YOUR HACKINT*SH INTALL THEN PLAN AHEAD AND BUY A MOTHERBOARD OR VIDEO CARD THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE PROVEN IT WILL WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Saying that, I know that finding the right setup to QE/CI enable my toshiba m200 would be a struggle, but I do have another other osx86 desktop system that works perfectly.)

WHAT WORKS FOR TOSHIBA M200 ? THE SSE 2 CRACK !!!!!!

-The only thing that worked for me was kalyway 10.5.1.- For this install you don't do anything other than select the sse2 fix and change the boot to whatever file system you are using- GUID or MBR at the bottom of the options list before install-

Here's what is working now:

Digitizer pen works with tabletmagic- latest dounload as of this date-

Here is the thing about tabletmagic- it works but you have to play with it, the key thing is that it has to recognize the (internal) serial port that the digitizer in the m200 uses otherwise you are out of luck (at least i was). I suspect the bios upgrade i did helped- I tried for about 9 hours..., I also grabbed kashoggi's tablet fix and just for fun clicked on it. Then I went to Wacom's website and downloaded the OSX driver for the Cintiq 12- I think this was the thing that helped the os to find the serial port for the digitizer. I also went into bios and switched the device control to "all devices" instead of "Setup by OS"After some more adjusting and restarting a bunch of times, I went away while the system restarted...., came back 10 mins later and it was working- How weird and random is that??????

Sound

working

Graphics: had to change the resolution manually in start up kext (forget which one but its here on this site) even though the res has not changed in the in the system profiler it has changed on the actual screen. no mouse tearing but it does run a little slow at times when you move a window around or draw very fast on the desktop using ink. I am told you have to play around with the settings to get rid of this or increase your ram - I only have 1gig and need more-

usb

working

pcmcia slot

not tested- my pcmcia firewire card says it needs driver- I will test further and update.

ethernet

working with no problems

wifi

only works with unprotected networks- no wep or other- looks like the 2200 hack makes the whole system too unstable- do not use !!! wifi with usb will be my best bet- Boooooooo!

Batttery indicator

not available I have no really looking into this as I don't really care that much about that.

I hope this post helps others like I have been helped by this forum.

screen buttons

working

fuction buttons

not working.

-CT

• 8 months later...

Attempting this install without a bootable DVD drive. I'm putting the Laptop HD in a USB enclosure, installing Kalyway 10.5.2 onto it via another Mac and then putting the HD back in the laptop, at which point it just prompts me to insert a system disk and press a key. Wasted. I've searched quite a bit for the solution, but can't find anything. Anyone have any ideas please? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I guess I will continue the trend of reviving this thread. However, in all my research into this project, this seems to be the definitive thread on converting the M200 into a Mac Tablet, so it seems appropriate to keep things going.

Due to this thread, and corroborating threads around the net, I've been successful in installing Kalyway 10.5.2, fortunately getting through the entire process my first time through. The initial issues I had were at the very beginning, with no ability to boot from the SD card or through PXE (which I'm sure was due to my inability to set it up properly), and my current external optical drive incompatible, I was forced to buy a new Toshiba drive. From that moment, things went fairly flawlessly. Installing XP took some time (new hard drive so no OS), but with that installed and a quick flash upgrade of the BIOS (v1.80) Kalyway had no trouble getting through.

Like many people here, a lot of the issues are the same, as well as the fixes. I got the digitizer going first, since to me that is the most unique part of installing OSX on a tablet pc. With a few tweaks, but carefule direction from these parts I got that going. With the Ink features, it really almost feels as though OSX was meant to be on a TPC.

I've tried to tackle the battery issue a bit, but so far have not been successful getting the battery features to function. This isn't super high on my list, but is a feature I intend to figure out. As for wi-fi, I'm not going to bother unless there's a sure fix. I may just buy a USB wi-fi connector and live with that. The USBFix installer mentioned in this thread did the job very efficiently, and I wish most fixes were that easy (digging through kext files and permissions is new, uneasy territory for me).

As it is, I'm now considering beefing up the ram to the max 2gig. Right now I have 512 and it feels a bit sluggish. Anyone aware of the different the ram will make for this PC? Would it be a significant improvement?

Lastly, a big thank you to everyone's hard work here. My beloved M200 has sat collecting dust for some time since it's HDD crash, and even before that considering my career is almost entirely Mac based. This has not only brought new life into a wonderful machine, but given me something truly rare.... a real Mac Tablet.