40 posts in this topic

UPDATE from March, 15th 2009

Hey guys,

please check the RETAIL DVD installation procedure for this board:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157772

Ciao

Nemo

Hello,

in the past I already wrote a guide to install Tiger on this hardware. So here comes my update for Leopard :-)

Of course, there's no guarentee that it works, because every system is a bit different, but for me, it works and to get the knowledge and all the files together, it took me a lot hours, so I really hope it's usefull for you all!

This guide works with Kalyway 10.5.1 as well as with 10.5.2!

First of all, I need to tell you that thanks to issues with the JMicron.kext, you can only use 2 SATA Ports and NO IDE PORTS on this board, when you like to have it "rock-solid".

As you can see on this photo (of the Rev1 Board "DS3"), the only working ports are the 2 yellow/orange ports which are not covered by the black box:

WN1212481755W484500db2d7f7-jm.jpgWG1212481777W484500f1ea408-nojm.jpgWU1212505487W48455d8f2ba23-gsatadis.jpg

Hint! If you leave your JMicron.kext as it is, you can use 4 SATA Ports! Maybe option #3 (disable GSATA in the BIOS to use 4 ICH9 ports is more interessting. Please see below for more information.

UPDATE (Feb, 1st 2009)

Hey guys,

I tried to install the good old Mac OS X on the 2nd machine yesterday and believe it or not, it took me 12h's to get it work. So I noticed every step to guide you safely through the installation up to 10.5.6, which is mandatory for iWork '09 for example.

IMPORTANT NOTE! Before you start, load the optimized settings inside your BIOS, then go on as described here!

So - how to start?

I would recommend you to get Kalyway 10.5.1. You will also need to download the original Apple 10.5.2 Combo-Update which you may download free here. At least you need the Kalyway 10.5.3 patched Update. I'm sure you know where to get where same water covers the coast and you can find ships like the Black Pearl :D

I zipped all needed tools & drivers. You can download them on http://rapidshare.com/files/119748021/gap35ds3.zip.html UPDATED!

Download BEFORE you start installing ;)

Maybe you can't use the onboard NIC on first boot.

BIOS

Before we install anything, be sure that the BIOS is set up correct. As you ca see on this photo, you need to set one SATA-controller to AHCI and the other to IDE.

resized-WM1189753657W46ea3339b9b9d-biosahci.jpg

click to enlarge

You can enable ICH9 complete by disabeling the Gigabyte SATA in the BIOS. Thanks for the tip cathul! ;) You can also use the eSATA bracket that came with the board. I run my 1TB WD eSATA disk without any problems.

Simply disable "Onboard SATA/IDE Device"

Set it up? Great! Be sure to have a SATA HDD which can be FORMATED and I recommend to use a SATA DVD-Drive.

BASE INSTALLATION

Once you're in the Setup of Mac OS X Kalyway 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 do this:

On Kalyway 10.5.1

- Run the Disk Utility

- Create a new partition on your harddisk, select "Master Boot Record"!

- Close the Disk Utility

- Select the following Components from Kaylway:

+ Vanilla Kernel (just check the first checkbox)

(if you have a nVidia card only: + nVInject driver)

+ efi_mbr (!)

On Kalyway 10.5.2

- Run the Disk Utility

- Create a new partition on your harddisk, select "GUID"! Works fine on 10.5.2!

- Close the Disk Utility

- Select the following Components from Kaylway:

- Select Vanilla kernel (Apple orignal)

- Select the fitting graphics driver. For my GeForce7650GS it was NVinject 256.

- Select all network drives / I disabled all WiFi, cos I don't have WiFi

- I've deselect other languages, but that depends on YOUR needs ;)

That's it! No more needed yet!

- Install Leopard on your harddisk

When the installation is done, reboot the system, enter your details, select a password (DO IT! We need your password later!) etc.

Logged in? Great! :)

Next, you should try to open Safari and check if the internet works. If not, turn the PC of, remove the powersupply power cable, press the powerbutton of your case for at least 10 seconds, switch the powersupply a few times on and off (DO THIS ONLY IF YOU'VE REMOVED THE POWER CABLE!). After that, replug the powercable and turn the PC, pardon - your Mac - on. I'm not sure if those issues happen to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Rev1 normally or it's my powersupply that creates this issue. After booting up, the NIC onboard should work.

The next part is written by =-Devin-= here in the forum! So! Kudos to you, Devin ;)

The following step is ONLY for Kalyway 10.5.1 users!

- Open a Terminal

- Type "sudo -s" (enter your password)

- Type "nano /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext/Contents/Info.plist" and scroll down to the very end of the file

- Replace "<string>Safe Boot</string>" with "<string>Local-Root</string>"

- Press Ctrl+S & Ctrl-X afterwards to save & exit

- Type the following "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done" (without the captions or course)

- Now, run the 10.5.2 Update which comes originally from Apple

- DO NOT REBOOT!

- Switch to your Terminal, press Ctrl+C to stop the process you've started

- You can close your Terminal now. Press thumbs and reboot your system.

So that was the upgrade to 10.5.2. Easy, wasn't it?

Let's go on and rumble the 10.5.3 ;)

You should have downloaded Kalyway's 10.5.3 update. (Search for it, you'll find it anywhere ;) )

- Run the 1_Kalyway_UpdCombo10.5.3.pkg first.

- DO NOT REBOOT!

- Run the 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg

- Reboot the system and at the prompt to Mac OS X (Darwin), press F8

- Type "update -v" and launch your system

You should download the Delta (Simple Update) from Apple and simply install it. It just works without any issues :)

That's a bit more tricky. You should need to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as soon at it is placed into /System/Library/Extensions. So, here's the trick which is pretty popular.

- Download the update from Apple (as we go slowly through every update, the larger Combo is not needed!)

- Open a Terminal

- type sudo -s (enter your password)

- type while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

- this will start a process and does show nothing, but it's mandatory to run it! Otherwise you get a Kernel Panic and your system is bricked!

- Install the 10.5.5 update

- DO NOT RESTART!!!

- Stop the process you've started on the terminal, click the window and press Ctrl+C

- Reboot

It works exactly as the 10.5.5 update. Also here, you should need to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as soon at it is placed into /System/Library/Extensions.

- Download the update from Apple (as we go slowly through every update, the larger Combo is not needed!)

- Open a Terminal

- type sudo -s (enter your password)

- type while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

- this will start a process and does show nothing, but it's mandatory to run it! Otherwise you get a Kernel Panic and your system is bricked!

- Install the 10.5.6 update

- DO NOT RESTART!!! This would kill your Hackintosh!

- Stop the process you've started on the terminal, click the window and press Ctrl+C

- Type cd /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/

- Type nano 1

- Replace "Don't steal Mac OS X.kext" with "dsmos.kext" (should be at the very end of the file)

- Save (Ctrl+O, Ctrl+X)

- Reboot

That's it! You're now running the current 10.5.6!

Possibly, there's an issue with your nVidia-card, so we need to fix it with NVkush (Kudos to parachute for this!)

- Install NVkush (included in the ZIP file)

- Remove NVinject.kext from extensions folder.

- Reboot the system and at the prompt to Mac OS X (Darwin), press F8

- Type "-f -v" and launch your system (you should see a lot of text scrolling on your screen, that's what the flag "-v" does - it shows you the boot process)

Back on Mac OS X, launch the Systemprofiler and click on the graphiccard. Quartz-Things should be working here ;)

At last step, we put the drivers back into your OS :-) Kalyway 10.5.2 comes with most of them, but the updates possibly kill them.

DRIVERS

- Uncompress the gap35ds3.zip you've downloaded before

- With Kalyway, there comes a nice and cool tool, called Kext Helper b7 - launch it via Spotlight (just type "kext", select it)

- Drag & drop HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext and RealtekR1000.kext to this tool, type your password and click on "EASY INSTALL"

Don't reboot now. We need to do some other stuff :-)

Why to use the RealtekR1000.kext for the NIC? Yes I know, the network should already work, but with the included driver there are concerns about using Bonjour (iTunes-Sharing for example). This driver fix it!

- With the ZIP files comes a file called ALC889Adump. Drop it over the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20-App which was written by Taruga

- This enables the Audio-In

To turn your Hackintosh into a nice looking Mac OS X, you possibly want to use the original icons? Well, if so - go on.

(PS. This excludes the harddisc icon which is orange because of the kind of the controller (which is ICH9).

- There's a folder "Restore_Factory_Desktop_settings"

- Open it and run the "Restore_Factory_Desktop_settings.app"

USB & TimeMachine Fix

I've notices, that there are some strange issues when plugging in USB sticks for example. I found a fix for that in this forum. Also I noticed issues with TimeMachine when you use an iSCSI-attached device (for example I use a FreeBSD server here with SUNs ZFS and RAIDz1 to store our TimeMachine backups on the server, pretty secure).

This package contains 3 installers (1 for USB, 2 for TimeMachine), run them all, reboot and everything should work fine!

Download: here

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH RANDOM KERNEL PANICS

...then this is possibly a problem with JMicron.kext. I had that problem and so I removed the JMicron.kext. Taruga & Cathul don't had issues with it, so they don't need to remove it.

If you don't do this, you should be able to use 4 Ports of SATA (yellow/orange shown on top + the purple GSATA). As Taruga describes, removing IDE drives can help you to use your fully 4GB of RAM (if you have more than 3GB).

- Now it's time to remove the JMicron.kext which creates a lot of trouble with DVD's and stability for example if you run Transmission

- Open the terminal

- Type "sudo -s"

- Type "cd /System/Library/Extensions"

- Type "rm -rf JMicron.kext"

That's it! Your system is configured!

Give it a reboot :-)

Currently you can run EVERY Update incl. Java v1 which works without issues or damaging your Hackintosh.

Sleep Mode etc.

Won't work really. I recommend you to turn the powersaving modes off. If now, possibly your mac sleeps in and will crash over night when you download a Linux-distribution or anything of course 100% legal thing via Transmission or Azereus ;)

A last hint for non-english-Mac OS X-users:

Kalyway ripped the languages off the installation DVD. I use a regular Leopard DVD which came with a Mac here (and should be available also anywhere) to install my language. Simply run "Optional installs" and select you language. In the system settings you should select in International.

When it was all successfully done and you've set up the Mac as you like it (with your tools, appz & configurations), get Super Duper! which is freely available and create an image. I'm also in the process of doing this, but I'm not sure if this at least works yet - so no hints how to do this now.

Have fun!

Nemo

Drop it over the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20-App which was written by a guy here in the forum (Kudos to him, sorry I missed your name )

The name of the guy is Taruga :)

Also a tip for you...

Just edit dsmos.kext Info.plist and replace:

<string>Safe Boot</string>

with:

<string>Local-Root</string>

This way, dsmos.kext loads first.

Then, in the future you can step over this:

- DO NOT REBOOT!

- Switch to your Terminal, press Ctrl+C to stop the process you've started

- Type "nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1"

- With the cursor keys, scroll to the very end of the file, you will see a line called "Do not steal Mac OS X", well.. nice try, Apple

- Replace it with "dsmos" so that the line should look like this: "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

Another tip, JMicron works fine with 3GB and IDE devices, or 4GB or more but only with SATA devices

Also, you should delete ALCinject and install the new replacement version HDAEnabler which is better and will work better with AppleHDA Patcher

Hi Taruga,

sorry :P And I just replaced it in the tutorial.

Ok that's a great tip. I will add it to the tutorial (dsmos.kext / info.plist).

About the JMicron-probem:

Hmm.. I run 4GB RAM and NO IDE drives and I had those issues before removing it. On this forum I found the hint to remove the kext and since that I had no more issues... so I'm a bit confused now :)

Also, you should delete ALCinject and install the new replacement version HDAEnabler which is better and will work better with AppleHDA Patcher

This link is not availabe..

Hi Taruga,sorry :P And I just replaced it in the tutorial.Ok that's a great tip. I will add it to the tutorial (dsmos.kext / info.plist).About the JMicron-probem:Hmm.. I run 4GB RAM and NO IDE drives and I had those issues before removing it. On this forum I found the hint to remove the kext and since that I had no more issues... so I'm a bit confused now :)
I only spotted problems with IDE devices and 4GB or more. If I connect an IDE DVD or IDE HDD, the system sometimes freezes, it´s kinda of ramdom freeze.If I limit the memory with maxmem boot flag to 3GB it works fine, if I remove memory instead of using the maxmem boot flag and run it 3GB it works fine also with no freezes.In my case, I just replaced the IDE DVD recorder with a SATA one to be able to use my 4GB Ram and I have no problems at all. But if I connect any IDE devices to the Jmicon, I can´t get more than 3 days uptime.
This link is not availabe..
You need to create an account at http://wiki.taruga.net to be able to download

Hi Taruga,

thanks for your help. Because it's in your Wiki which needs a registration, I think I should ask you if I may add this kext to the ZIP file (I will update it then). The next question is: Does it replace the ALC885-procedure and enables the Line-In?

Hi Taruga,

thanks for your help. Because it's in your Wiki which needs a registration, I think I should ask you if I may add this kext to the ZIP file (I will update it then). The next question is: Does it replace the ALC885-procedure and enables the Line-In?

yes, you can add the kext to the zip.

It does not replace the procedure, you still have to use AppleHDA Patcher. HDAEnabler is a replacent for ALCinject, that enables some features with current and future AppleHDA Patcher versions.

this is fantastic, i succeeded everything, thank you for this tutorial. i've a tip for the french users using the freebox: if the ethernet seems "unplugged" simply shutdown your computer, leave it plugged to the sector (with the green light on on your ethernet card), unplugged the freebox, plug it again, wait for it to be ready and power on your computer :)

Have you removed your JMicron.kext?

No, i just disabled the Gigabyte SATA (that's the JMicron thingy) in the BIOS, so the kext doesn't get loaded at bootup.

I have 6 gigs of ram in my rig and no problems at all.

I don't use special drivers for networking either, nor do i use NVinject or NVkush or ALCinject. I do all these things with EFI-strings.

For sound AppleHDApatcher is still needed though to insert the ALC889 codec.

edit: typos ;)

Sleep Mode etc.

Won't work really. I recommend you to turn the powersaving modes off. If now, possibly your mac sleeps in and will crash over night when you download a Linux-distribution or anything of course 100% legal thing via Transmission or Azereus

This issue is not specific to OSX: it a bios or motherboard problem. If you get this issue, you need to set "ACPI suspend Type" to "S1" in bios setup to get a clean sleep process.

This issue is not specific to OSX: it a bios or motherboard problem. If you get this issue, you need to set "ACPI suspend Type" to "S1" in bios setup to get a clean sleep process.

Hi sonotone,

thanks for this help! I will add it to the tutorial. But there's a minor problem. The DHCP-Client isn't able to receive an IP after waking the Hackintosh up. Even a plug-out/plug-in of the network cable don't work. A workaround is to give it a fix IP.

@cathul: Thanks for the idea of disabling the Gigabyte SATA in the BIOS. Works fantastic with 4 Intel ports :D

thanks for this help! I will add it to the tutorial. But there's a minor problem. The DHCP-Client isn't able to receive an IP after waking the Hackintosh up. Even a plug-out/plug-in of the network cable don't work. A workaround is to give it a fix IP.
This is indeed a limitation of the driver. Will test if i have the same behavior with my EFI strings for the network card...Will test it tomorrow morning when i wake up. ;)
I have my board set up to S3 sleep and it's working perfectly.I use vanilla kernel btw.

edit: couldn't wait for tomorrow so i put my computer to sleep and woke him up again a few seconds later. No problem getting an IP address by DHCP with the vanilla network driver and EFI strings for network card.

Hi Cathul,

I tried sleeping with "S1" once more, but my fan keeps ratating and it sounds like the whole system is on, except the display. When I turned the system off, I got a Kernel Panic. No problem so far, the system was not harmed.

Another issue (with "S3") is, that the system turns on after 1min (around about) of being off. That's pretty strange ;)

Hi Cathul,

I tried sleeping with "S1" once more, but my fan keeps ratating and it sounds like the whole system is on, except the display. When I turned the system off, I got a Kernel Panic. No problem so far, the system was not harmed.

Another issue (with "S3") is, that the system turns on after 1min (around about) of being off. That's pretty strange ;)

Not with my system... i set it to sleep and it sleeps and it wakes up within 5 seconds after i press the powerbutton...

But, as i already wrote, i use vanilla kernel and EFI strings for graphics, sound and networking, no injectors (like NVinject or ALCinject) or additional drivers (like for the network). Maybe that's the difference...

The main reason for most of the people using EFI strings on their rig is to prevent additional problems which may arise by using additional drivers and injectors.

hello! I'm re-doing this and i've a question :

you said :

- Drag & drop HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext and RealtekR1000.kext to this tool, type your password and click on "EASY INSTALL"

But on the picuture we can see ALC Inject. So do we need to put HDAenabler or ALC inject? :(

Thanks ;)

hello! I'm re-doing this and i've a question :

you said :

But on the picuture we can see ALC Inject. So do we need to put HDAenabler or ALC inject? :D

When not using EFI strings you need both of them. HDAenabler puts the codec into the apple driver (AppleHDA.kext) and ALCinject "activates" your soundcard at boottime.

This is indeed a limitation of the driver. Will test if i have the same behavior with my EFI strings for the network card...Will test it tomorrow morning when i wake up. :( I have my board set up to S3 sleep and it's working perfectly.I use vanilla kernel btw.

edit: couldn't wait for tomorrow so i put my computer to sleep and woke him up again a few seconds later. No problem getting an IP address by DHCP with the vanilla network driver and EFI strings for network card.

Can you post the com.apple.Boot.plist or the string you are using in it?

When not using EFI strings you need both of them. HDAenabler puts the codec into the apple driver (AppleHDA.kext) and ALCinject "activates" your soundcard at boottime.

Hi, could you do me a favour and post a little tutorial on using efi strings rather than drivers for this board, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm having restart and shutdown issues. I can't get the system to shutdown or restart. It just goes to a black screen. I have to physically hit the switch on the front for restart or kill power at the PSU for shutdown. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm having restart and shutdown issues. I can't get the system to shutdown or restart. It just goes to a black screen. I have to physically hit the switch on the front for restart or kill power at the PSU for shutdown. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Yes, use a patched kernel as reboot and shutdown wont work reliable with a vanilla kernel.
Can you post the com.apple.Boot.plist or the string you are using in it?
My EFI string wont be of much use for you as they could be different if using a different gfx card. I added a com.apple.Boot.plist with the EFI string for onboard audio and networking as an attachment to my post...

Don't forget to rename it to com.apple.Boot.plist though as i could only upload it as a text file. :)

Hi, could you do me a favour and post a little tutorial on using efi strings rather than drivers for this board, that would be appreciated.Thanks!
There are tons of tutorials on insanelymac.com and netkas.org.Writing another tutorial while there are a lot of really excellent tutorials available makes no sense to me. ;)

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

Yes, use a patched kernel as reboot and shutdown wont work reliable with a vanilla kernel.My EFI string wont be of much

Vanilla Kernel is working fine for me, no problems with restart or shutdown, Sleep is also working without problems. :)

Only needed to insall AppleACPIPlatform.kext from Kalyway 10.5.2 and the poweroff_fix (http://cobranail.googlepages.com/poweroff_fix.zip)

My EFI string wont be of much use for you as they could be different if using a different gfx card. I added a com.apple.Boot.plist with the EFI string for onboard audio and networking as an attachment to my post...

Don't forget to rename it to com.apple.Boot.plist though as i could only upload it as a text file. :blink:

Hi thanks for posting the file. I just needed the network part of the string and now that I have converted it back to XML I see that it is different than what I was trying for the data part the pciroot is the same, with any luck it will work for me and I will then have a totally vanilla install as the IONetworking.kext is the only patched Apple file I have left on my system.