No HFS Partition Found / Chain Booting Error

18 posts in this topic

I installed an iso I found online called: Leo_AMD_10.5.2_EFI_Rev2.iso

I Have a HP Pavilion Laptop zv6000, amd 1.9 GHz processor, Vista Business (SP1), OSx Leopard (10.5.2)

I have tried the chain0 boot option and my boot.ini reads:

[boot loader]

timeout=10

c:\chain0="Mac OS X Leopard"

[operating systems]

c:\chain0="Mac OS X Leopard"

When I start it up with Chain0 it reads: Chain Booting Error

I also tried the tboot booting option and my boot.ini read:

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=c:\tboot

[operating systems]

c:\tboot="Mac OS X Leopard"

When I start it up with tboot it reads: No HFS Partition Found

I set the partition (2) as active and I always get these same messages.

The only way I can get OSx to boot up is to keep the installation disk in the drive and it starts with no problem.

I need to get to a point where it is not necessary to keep the disk in @ start-up.

ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...i have tried searching the internet with no luck and finally decided to post.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!

• 1 month later...

same problem as yours. after installed the Iakos v4i, i ve tried lot of times to reinstall or erase the partiton, but still the same result...

the tboot works not. i think maybe there's some thing wrong with the diskutility in the cd, but someone just have no such a problem...

who can help us??

same problem, and i think i know why.

i had iatkos v1, it installed fine. in the installation process, you had to load the darwin bootloader thing and select the drive. However, v4 didnt have it so im assuming that's the problem - no darwin.

could be wrong, but im gonna try to install darwin from my v1, then install v4.

That's easy.. install EasyBCD on Vista.. add Mac's entry and choose generic PC and viola.. you're done

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have a similar problem and could not get any help by browsing hours in forums and wikis..

my wind / akoya is running 10.5.6 fine but every time i have to boot with the usb-key inside..windows boots fine.

tried chain0 / tboot (which has not much instructions, could anyone point to a good tutorial?) / grub (scary stuff) and so on, cannot fix it.

any help?

<Edit: Since I solved the issue shortly after my 1/2 solution, I'm replacing the 1/2 solution with a full fix>

Steps:

====

Print/open on another machine the README file or this post for directions since you'll be rebooting shortly!

1. If you have the iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 installer (or some newer release DVD), you should have a recent chameleon bootloader on the OSX DVD itself. If this is your case, you can skip the step below on downloading the latest chameleon online. FYI, the iPC release of OSX 10.5.6 does NOT have Chameleon.
    < OR >
    If you don't know or don't have a recent chameleon on your DVD, download the Chameleon bootloader (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/) and extract the contents of the archive. You should now have the following files
    APPLE_LICENSE	README		boot0		cdboot
     BootHelp.txt	boot		boot1h		fdisk

Copy all these files over to a USB memory stick.

2. Pop in your OSX DVD -> boot from it -> don't bother going through the (re)installing wizard/setup ... (duh!)
  3. Just start 'Terminal' from the menu on the top. Plug in your USB stick if you're using it.
  4. If you're using chameleon from the DVD:
    cd /usr/standalone/i386/

<OR>
    If you're using chameleon from the USB stick

cd /Volumes/<your USB stick>/

(note that at this point you can only access FAT16/32 or HFS+ partitions. So an NTFS formatted USB stick may not work)

I'm assuming a non-RAID setup, so here we go (largely adapted from README!) ...

5. As you can see we're assuming OSX is on the 1st disk and 2nd partition. You should verify your case by a quick 'fdisk /dev/rdisk0' or 'fdisk /dev/rdisk1' followed by a 'print' to see you setting. Anyway ... install boot0 to the MBR:
    fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

NOTE: Power users wanting to substitute the above (OSX) fdisk command with the (Linux) dd command should be VERY careful since issuing a dd command to write the MBR can overwrite the partition table in the common case (i.e. without explicit exclusions). When in doubt, follow this guide - better than spending half a day recovering your lost partitions!

6. Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
    dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

7. Install 'boot' to the partition's root directory:
    cp boot /Volumes/<your Leopard installation on the hard drive>/

eg:

cp boot /Volumes/Leopard/

8. Done! Reboot
  9. At this point your 'chain0' method of booting should be working again...

======================================================

Only for those interested (the solution is complete above, these are just my thoughts)

Chameleon works differently that what I was assuming given traditional bootloaders! I was using dd in linux to write the MBR and bootsector (I didn't know the OSX boot DVD had terminal! I'm a linux veteran but new to OSX). While issuing the dd commands I was being extra careful and was writing just 512 and 400 bytes respectively to 'avoid corruption'!! LOL! It turns out that Chameleon's boot1h is longer than 400 bytes so I was (un)knowningly killing it myself by not copying the bytes between 400 and 1024! ;)

I still don't fully understand how EFI really works but I'm learning a bit everytime!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry if this question has been answered, and i know everyone says this over and over, but i have looked around and followed numerous guides to fix my chain booting error, but nothing seems to have any effect.

so my question is, will chain booting work, if my os x drive is formatted as GUID?

I have a guid hdd with osx, then a secondary hdd, MBR with vista, im assuming that my problem is that osx is on guid and not mbr?

is there any easier way for me to dual boot, rather than having to select a one time boot from my bios?

also, i have noticed that chameleon does not recognise other hard drives than the one it is installed on, is it possible for a future version of chameleon to support booting off other hard drives, as this would mean i didnt have to use the vista bootloader?

thanks for any replies

Eds

• 2 months later...

I've the same problem than EDS89.

3 disks

disk 0 - Vista 64 (raid0)

disk 1 - data (raid1) NTFS

disk 2 - Mac OS X (iPC 10.5.6) std disk formatted in GUID - part 1 EFI + part 2 Mac OS X

Mac OS was installed when I unplug raid disks and setup bios with AHCI mode (instead of raid) and works fine.

Now I was unable to set up correctly vista bootlader to boot on Mac OS X with

> chain methods

> neogrub

> grub

via EasyBCD

I assume that playing with MBR config only allow to boot on different partition from a same disk (in this case only Vista disk) then I have to use some bootloader wich allow to boot from another disk but how to set up !?

> neogrub

> grub

> chain0

The Only way is to use BIOS, switch RAID to AHCI mode and select Mac OS X Disk, but in this case it's quite dangerous because each disk of my RAID array are available to any change from Mac OS X. So in this case my array will be logicaly broken.

Last method is to unplug sata connector from my 4 Raid Disks then select the Mac OS X from BIOS. This not a really usefull solution.

Need help.

Edited by Eternity57

• 11 months later...
<Edit: Since I solved the issue shortly after my 1/2 solution, I'm replacing the 1/2 solution with a full fix>

Steps:

====

Print/open on another machine the README file or this post for directions since you'll be rebooting shortly!

1. If you have the iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 installer (or some newer release DVD), you should have a recent chameleon bootloader on the OSX DVD itself. If this is your case, you can skip the step below on downloading the latest chameleon online. FYI, the iPC release of OSX 10.5.6 does NOT have Chameleon.
    < OR >
    If you don't know or don't have a recent chameleon on your DVD, download the Chameleon bootloader (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/) and extract the contents of the archive. You should now have the following files
    APPLE_LICENSE	README		boot0		cdboot
     BootHelp.txt	boot		boot1h		fdisk

Copy all these files over to a USB memory stick.

2. Pop in your OSX DVD -> boot from it -> don't bother going through the (re)installing wizard/setup ... (duh!)
  3. Just start 'Terminal' from the menu on the top. Plug in your USB stick if you're using it.
  4. If you're using chameleon from the DVD:
    cd /usr/standalone/i386/

<OR>
    If you're using chameleon from the USB stick

cd /Volumes/<your USB stick>/

(note that at this point you can only access FAT16/32 or HFS+ partitions. So an NTFS formatted USB stick may not work)

I'm assuming a non-RAID setup, so here we go (largely adapted from README!) ...

5. As you can see we're assuming OSX is on the 1st disk and 2nd partition. You should verify your case by a quick 'fdisk /dev/rdisk0' or 'fdisk /dev/rdisk1' followed by a 'print' to see you setting. Anyway ... install boot0 to the MBR:
    fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

NOTE: Power users wanting to substitute the above (OSX) fdisk command with the (Linux) dd command should be VERY careful since issuing a dd command to write the MBR can overwrite the partition table in the common case (i.e. without explicit exclusions). When in doubt, follow this guide - better than spending half a day recovering your lost partitions!

6. Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
    dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

7. Install 'boot' to the partition's root directory:
    cp boot /Volumes/<your Leopard installation on the hard drive>/

eg:

cp boot /Volumes/Leopard/

8. Done! Reboot
  9. At this point your 'chain0' method of booting should be working again...

======================================================

Only for those interested (the solution is complete above, these are just my thoughts)

Chameleon works differently that what I was assuming given traditional bootloaders! I was using dd in linux to write the MBR and bootsector (I didn't know the OSX boot DVD had terminal! I'm a linux veteran but new to OSX). While issuing the dd commands I was being extra careful and was writing just 512 and 400 bytes respectively to 'avoid corruption'!! LOL! It turns out that Chameleon's boot1h is longer than 400 bytes so I was (un)knowningly killing it myself by not copying the bytes between 400 and 1024! :D

I still don't fully understand how EFI really works but I'm learning a bit everytime!

This guide fully works. I have one hard disk in my laptop, vista x64 installed on partition 1 and OSX on partition 2. Something went wrong with my OSX installation and I had to restore using time machine (luckily I had a recent image). So I booted with my iPC disk, went to utilities and restore from time machine backup. Loaded, selected my most recent image with date/time and restored. The restore completed successfully. However, upon restart all seemed normal. Im using Vistas bootloader so again, everything loaded normal. Selected windows, booted fine. Restarted, select OSX, i got "chain booting error" and also "cant find HFS+ partition" messages. I went into Windows, having macdrive installed allows me to view the partition in my computer, I copied new chain0 files, new boot files etc, to no avail. At one stage even Vista would refuse to load when I tried to recover HFS partition with Easy BCD (option available to recover but I had negative results personally, but excellent software for making your initial bootloader) I searched for days and days to find a solution, finding many which resulted in continued dissapointment. Then I stumbled across this post by store2000. Followed it word for word and hey presto, everything is back to normal. Vista bootloader, boot loader entries, and both OS's load just fine, so thanks for this comprehensive easy-to-follow guide store2000, you really helped.

If I can be of any assistance to anyone then please let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

Although it's been a year since store2000's post, I wanted to say thanks and that it still works. I got a little adventurous with my machine having been up for 6mo, decided to run some disk utilities. They decided to "fix" a "problem" with the first to blocks on the partition - thus yielding my system non-booting.

• 4 weeks later...
Although it's been a year since store2000's post, I wanted to say thanks and that it still works. I got a little adventurous with my machine having been up for 6mo, decided to run some disk utilities. They decided to "fix" a "problem" with the first to blocks on the partition - thus yielding my system non-booting.

Holy moly, store2000 post worked GREAT for me! I was getting chain booting and THEN No HFS Partition errors left and right. It took me a while, but this post was elemental in getting my install to work.

Dell Inspiron 1545 install:

I installed with NO customizations on my Dell Inspiron 1545's disk 1 partition 3 using Hazard's Snow Leopard 10.6.x burned ISO. I got the "Chain Booting Error" and made it even worse by trying to fix it with EasyBCD, chain0, and c:\nst\nst_mac.mbr files. This led me to No HSF Partition errors on boot. To boot, some of the stuff I did made it so I could not even boot into Windows 7 anymore. First, I fixed my Windows 7 boot by popping in install disk, going to repair -> command prompt, and typing:

bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr

this re-wrote the master boot record so i could boot from Windows 7 again, and configure my Windows Boot Manager. Next, I found out I had accidentally set the partition type of my Snow Leopard partition to NTFS (after formatting it to by a journaled HSF), so I went into Snow Leopard Install's Terminal and set the partition type back to AF using the following tutorial:

http://apple2pc.blogspot.com/2008/04/hfs-p...what-to-do.html

This got me back to the Chain Booting Error. I tried to use store2000's post, but for some reason I could not mount or use my USB in the Snow Leopard Install, so the files on there were inaccessible. However, because I could boot into windows 7, I could use MacDrive's free trial to access the 3rd partition. I made a new folder "boot_files_folder" in there, copied the files in there, and then did store2000's post exactly like he said (using cd /Volumes/Leopard/boot_files_folder , instead of my thumbdrive/USB drive).

After that, I restarted, popped out the dvd, and Snow Leopard booted and showed me the Chameleon booter! I hit tab twice to get to startup options and typed:

-v arch=i386

to boot int 32-bit mode, then I ran into the following Kernel Panic error:

com.apple.driver.AppleTyMCEDriver

com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

com.apple.driver.IOPaatformPluginFamily

error, and fixed that by simply loading Windows 7 and MacDrive again, and moving the Systems/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.ext file out of there. after that, Snow Leopard booted successfully with sound, and everything works! ;)

Thank you so much store2000! I now have a dual booting Windows 7/Snow Leopard inspiron that is fully working! You, and everyone else who made this possible, are awesome!

• 3 months later...
i hate to bump my own post but i thought members of this forum would be more helpfully and responsive....sorta disappointing.

-----------

Hey dude I don't know if you're still trying to get this work since it's been two years. I'm a new member and just happened to find your post here. I've got the same problem but got it solved surprisingly. Here's what I did:

1. Install Windows XP on primary partition, copied tboot to C: then edit the boot.ini to C:\tboot="Mac OS X"

2. Install OS X on secondary parition using ToH RC 2 OS x86 DVD

3. Boot into the ToH DVD OS installer (but don't install!), using the Terminal in Utility, type the following commands to make OS X boot from hard drive and not from ToH disk:

cd /

cd usr

cd misc

sh script.sh VOLUMENAME (whatever your Mac volume name is)

press "y" when it asks you

4. Quit the ToH installer and restart

5. Now at boot up you should be able to choose from either Windows XP or Mac OS X.

P.S. You don't need to set any partition to primary, let Windows XP be the primary partition. Tboot actually supports OS X in extended partition. Let me know if this helps.

tboot.zip

• 4 years later...

How to configure tboot ?

I have no script.sh in my /usr/misc 

The my situation on the single internal disk of my Dell Vostro 2520:

0) Bitlocker

1) Windows 7

2) Windows 8.1

3) OS X

Using chain0 renamed as nst_mac.MBR I have "Chain booting error"

Using tboot enamed as nst_mac.MBR I have "No HFS partition found"