Network Solution for Leopard

shornby

112 posts in this topic

Yeah, It's annoying.

That darned internal NIC. Keeps showing zero's for its MAC address. Fed up?

I've tested this and it works. In fact, I'm writing this entry via my USB Ethernet. If you're stuck, consider this as a cheap alternative - they are usually about 20 to 30 bucks, depending on where you buy them!

After getting 00:00:00:00:00:00 for a MAC address on my Broadcom (*and* after attempting to change the MAC, use the original MAC, modify countless .plist files, deal with numerous OSX 'Halt' errors, and a ton of other {censored}) I decided to use the darn USB Ethernet. Initially it didn't work, but grab the driver from this site (includes source code!):

http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

And install the 10.4+ version, then reboot. Plug in your adapter. It should just 'work'. If you aren't using the "Automatic" network profile (or if it doesn't work), do the following:

In Leopard: Go into the Sys Prefs applet, then Network. Click the "Plus" sign (bottom left), then choose the second "Ethernet" entry in the list. This is assuming you were able to initialize the internal Ethernet, but had problems.

Officially Supported Hardware (taken from their site):

3COM 3C460B

Belkin F5D5050

D-Link DSB-650

D-Link DSB-650TX

D-Link DUB-E100

D-Link DUN-E100

Farallon Netline PN796-650

Kingston KNU101TX

LinkSys USB10TX

LinkSys USB100TX

LinkSys USB200M

NetGear FA120 (My Adapter)

SMC 2209USB/ETH

If your device isn't on the list, fear not! Most USB Ethernet adapters WILL work because they follow an industry standard!

Enjoy,

Steve

EDIT: (by macgirl).

Also the new apple adapters (for the MacBook Air) work with 10.5.2

EDIT 2: (by macgirl).

To make this more clear apple adapters (for the MacBook Air) is the Apple USB to Ethernet

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...part=MB442Z%2FA

But it needs AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext only available after 10.5.2 update.

EDIT 3: (by macgirl).

It appears that the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter has different chipsets, I bough mine on the online Apple Store and it uses the AppleUSBEthernet.kext instead of the AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext tha others reported.

hi

I second that!

I'm using USB to Ethernet adapter: Datel Lan Adapter for Wii ;) (CC,Gamestop,EBgames have it for $29.95)

it has AX88772 chipset and it is USB2

works great under Leopard and Vista, I can't see difference between real eth adapter nad this device in the terms of speed

no need a driver for Leopard

Asix page with bunch of other OS drivers http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pIt...temID=86;71;101

best to all

Using the FA120 with what I believe are the same (or similar drivers) on 10.5.1. Worked a treat, given my Intel PCI-E Gigabit on the P35 system I have (HP dc7800) doesn't even get picked up...

Trying to get a Pro/1000 MT PCI going in there but the card won't detect link (and will crash out the kernel). So far, this USB ethernet trick is allowing me to get my system working!

SMC2208USB/ETHI cannot get this usb ethernet device working (it's detected in System Profiler but I cannot use it at all nor is there a MAC address showing up for it)Ok I jsut tried the Pegasus driver and at least the lights light-up on the device but I still cannot use it (it won't connect for some reason)

hi

I second that!

I'm using USB to Ethernet adapter: Datel Lan Adapter for Wii :wacko: (CC,Gamestop,EBgames have it for $29.95)

it has AX88772 chipset and it is USB2

works great under Leopard and Vista, I can't see difference between real eth adapter nad this device in the terms of speed

no need a driver for Leopard

Asix page with bunch of other OS drivers http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pIt...temID=86;71;101

best to all

thanks that works, although i think the Datel Lan Adapter for Wii is a little bit pricey, but it was cheaper than buying a new board, or trying to buy an internal card. i was a bit heasitant to try it because of the price but this solved my problem. now i just need a sound card and everything will be perfect!!!!! ;)

thanks that works, although i think the Datel Lan Adapter for Wii is a little bit pricey, but it was cheaper than buying a new board, or trying to buy an internal card. i was a bit heasitant to try it because of the price but this solved my problem. now i just need a sound card and everything will be perfect!!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

glad it works for you,

sound, you can have it for another $30

take look here  http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35841

and  http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/

many good reviews for this little usb card @ musiciansfriend site

good luck

for "newbs", well you can get the Datel Wii Lan Adapter at Gamestop, EBgames, and so on for 29.99

then download this ftp://sustworks.com/USBAx8817x_103b11.dmg

and then install it. then what you do next is restart your computer, connect the Wii lan adapter and your done.

He asked for WiFi (Wireless) and that is a USB to Ethernet (wired).

Sadly non of these wlan-dongles is in stores here in austria. There are thousends to by but not these :-( Maybe only the names are different but which could i take. The wiki tells me that only one is working: WG111v2 but the forum is full of people which do not get this dongle to work. so what can i do?

THX

DvP

I am having problems with the NetGear FA120 usb to ethernet adapter. I am running leopard 10.5.1 on a dell latitude d620. If I open system profiler and go down to USB, I can see it listed under USB High-Speed Bus. I do not see it under network though. My wireless card works perfect and its BSD device name is en0. I installed the drivers from the website and rebooted. After it not working, I tried installing the drivers again and rebooting. Any suggestions?

so the speed isn't affected at all?

you can't tell the difference if you are using a built in ethernet or another ethernt card than the USB 2.0 to Ethernet thing?

Just wondering, because my nForce 4 on board LAN isn't even detected.

If you read the Info.plist of AppleUSBEthernet.kext and AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext you'll see which DeviceIDs are supported in those kexts.

hey macgirl and all the other people in the forum i could use ur help here i have a sony vaio vgn nr160e with aitkos and kalyway udater installed my finder reads 10.5.3 i was wondering what wireless usb card would you reccommend id take your advice gladly and a i appeciate ya time thx