Kalyway 10.5.2 and Atheros 5212 (D-Link WDA-2320)

tranceFusion

5 posts in this topic

Kalyway has an option to install the patch for Atheros cards during the install which I am selecting.

However, my card isn't being recognized in System Profiler. I went into the IOFamily80211.kext and can see two Atheros kext's. AirPortAtheros.kext and AirPortAtheros5424.kext. The vendor/product ids for my card are already in the AirPortAtheros5424.kext.

When I try to do a kextload on AirPortAtheros5424.kext it gives me an error about finding dependencies. I am not sure if this is a real issue...

is there some way to turn on a boot log to see if there is an error loading this kext? How do I know if it is even attempting to load the kext? is there a config file that lists the kexts it will load somewhere?

Does anyone else have advice on stuff I can try?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah,

Have a look at this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t40317.html

I have a Netgear WG311T but lets assuming your D-Link aint doing anything weirder than mine! :(

You're gonna have to install the 10.4.8 Atheros drivers. Here's the steps:

1) Download the Mac Os X 10.4.8 update as suggested and use Pacifist to extract the IO80211Family.kext folder.

2) Go to terminal, and get root access (sudo -s).

3) Delete the old IO80211Family.kext folder and then copy the 10.4.8 IO80211Family.kext over your one which you'll find in /System/Library/Extensions.

4) Use favourite command line editor (like nano) to edit the relevant IONameMatch values as per thread I mentioned.

5) Delete the kernel extension cache:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

6) Restart your Hackintosh ;)

At this point the 'Airport' is probably not active or says not installed. You can try editing the NetworkInterfaces.plist file and restarting again, but I chose to create my own startup script because I needed to get it to connect to my WPA network which doesn't work with these drivers via the GUI I'm afraid..

Anyway for the moment, try do this from terminal (as root of course):

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext

The device should come up. You will be able to connect to open and WEP encrypted networks, but not WPA as I've mentioned (via the GUI). Instead do this from Terminal:

networksetup -setairportnetwork "yournetwork" "yourpassword"

Obviously replacing yournetwork with your network SSID and yourpassword with... well you know.

Ignore what the Airport icon on the top of the screen is doing and try open a browser.. If should work fine.

Next you'll need to make this all happen every time you turn on your Hackintosh. As I mentioned, I created my own startup scripts which I believe are a lot cleaner than editing /etc/rc.local and making networksetup root sticky screams security risk to me, but hey.. different strokes...

If you want my scripts, just ask. I ain't gonna type it all out here unless somebody wants it.

Hope that helps!

Xris/StomachContents

Kalyway has an option to install the patch for Atheros cards during the install which I am selecting.

However, my card isn't being recognized in System Profiler. I went into the IOFamily80211.kext and can see two Atheros kext's. AirPortAtheros.kext and AirPortAtheros5424.kext. The vendor/product ids for my card are already in the AirPortAtheros5424.kext.

When I try to do a kextload on AirPortAtheros5424.kext it gives me an error about finding dependencies. I am not sure if this is a real issue...

is there some way to turn on a boot log to see if there is an error loading this kext? How do I know if it is even attempting to load the kext? is there a config file that lists the kexts it will load somewhere?

Does anyone else have advice on stuff I can try?

Using 10.4.8 kexts on a 10.5 install is a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, heck I'd do it myself if that's what it took to get something working. But in the future it could be the cause of problems. For everyone doing this, please remember - in the future if you need help - to state clearly that you are using an old 10.4.8 kext on Leopard. If you leave out that little detail odds are nobody in the world will be able to help.

• 1 year later...
Using 10.4.8 kexts on a 10.5 install is a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, heck I'd do it myself if that's what it took to get something working. But in the future it could be the cause of problems. For everyone doing this, please remember - in the future if you need help - to state clearly that you are using an old 10.4.8 kext on Leopard. If you leave out that little detail odds are nobody in the world will be able to help.

Hi, i do not have a clue as to how to post on this forum as i keep getting problems, so if this is wrong please accept my apologies.

i am trying to install the Zydas utility for a friend on a Macbook version 10.6, with no luck at all, all posts i have seen so far talk about after install problems, i am unable to complete the install, getting the message the system extension system/library/extensions/zd1211mac.kext installed improperly and cannot be used, contact vendor for an update or try again. i have done this operation successfully on 3 other Macbooks, but it was a while ago now. can you give me any pointers? greatly apreciated. thanks