XP(ntfs) and Kalyway 10.5.2 (GUID) Dual HD Install: Solved w/ neogrub (EasyBCD)

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Using the amazing help on this forum, I was able to get a nearly flawless installed of leapord running on a second IDE HD alongside my winxp sata drive.

I can boot into either drive by changing the HD boot order in my bios. If the winxp drive is selected, I have copied over the chain0 file and edited the boot.ini so I get a selection between xp and osx, but selecting osx gives me a "HFS+ Partition Error", while xp boots just fine. If the osx drive is selected in the bios, I load the darwin bootloader, which seems only to see the partitions on the osx drive not the xp drive, and will load only osx just fine. I formated the xp drive in ntfs-mbr, and the osx drive w/ 2 partitions under guid, 1 HFS+, and one Fat32.

I have seen a bunch of guide mention the fdisk command in single user mode, which I feel I should stay away from since my osx drive is guid. Does anyone have any ideas how I could get the boot loaders to function normally? Is the MBR vs Guid issue causing this difficulty? If so, could I use a third party bootloader to avoid it?

Thanks

i have the same setup as you (xp on mbr, osx on guid), and the only way i managed to dualboot is by using neogrub (comes with EasyBCD).

read this topic - it explains how to make EasyBCD work on XP (you'll have to download bcd.zip from the topic),

and this topic as well - how to configure neogrub once you set it on your XP

just make sure you carefully read all macgirl's posts in these topics as they are most informative.

Thanks so much for your reply. I tried what you suggested, but I cannot find the correct boot kernal on my guid formatted HFS+ drive with neogrub, possibley because it is guid, or maybe there is something else wrong. All I can do at this point is have my bios switch the HD boot order, which is slow and annoying...Any other words of wisdom would be extemely helpful...

My menu.lst file is as follows:

title Mac OS X

kernel (hd1,1)/NST/boot_v8

but the "boot_v8" file isn't there...I'm not sure what I'm supposed to use in its place...

It also complains when I use the command line interface in neogrub to try to feel things out, since the disk is not in the MBR scheme (its GUID), but it could just need some sort of repair.

I used kalyway 10.5.1 and updated it to 10.5.2 + kernals + graphics update and its working just fine...tho sleep is not working as intended, its not a big deal.

Thanks

title Mac OS X

kernel (hd1,1)/NST/boot_v8

but the "boot_v8" file isn't there...I'm not sure what I'm supposed to use in its place...

just copy boot_v8 from nekas' pc_efi v8

when you boot that entry, negrub will say you need to manually type disk number to continue (81 for first disk, 82 for second, or 83 for third). if you want to bypass this inconvenience, then create a small fat partition on your osx drive and copy boot_v8 there.

you can non-destructively resize your hfs+ partition with disk utility from within leopard and create a small fat partition with the gained free space.

alternatively, you can do it all with one command in terminal:

diskutil resizeVolume /Volumes/SomeDisk 50g MS-DOS DOS 0b

this will resize your "SomeDisk" volume to 50g and create fat32 partition with the remaining free space.

**EDIT: don't try this if your osx partition uses MBR partition table, works ONLY FOR GUID

of course, then you'll have to change menu.lst to point to that path.

something like this:

title Mac OS X

kernel (0x82,2)/boot_v8

instead of (0x82,2) you can use (hd2,2), same thing.

i got my system working this way - winxp on mbr, and osx on guid.

before i found this method i had to switch boot drive setting in bios.

wow....

You totally nailed it! Thank you so much for all your help! I just need to boot back into windows and do the final edits on the menu.lst file, but I was able to easily boot into osx!

Thanks again for everything!

thanks, but credits go to macgirl.

anyway, it would be nice if you renamed the title of this topic (or added topic description) to make clear what kind of setup you're using and how you solved the problem.

eg. solved dual booting xp and osx (guid) on separate drives using neogrub (EasyBCD)

it will make searching easier for other users who encounter the same problem

EDIT: nice edit <_<