-186 GB Extended /dev/sda2 <---- GRUB installed here

|

|

|- 69 GB Linux Filesystem /dev/sda5 Ext4

|

|- 3GB Swap Space /dev/sda6

|

|- 114 GB DATA /dev/sda7

I installed GRUB on my Ubuntu filesystem as a secondary bootloader. I boot into Chameleon and then, in theory, I would boot into GRUB and then boot into Ubuntu. The only problem is, my Ubuntu partition doesn't show up on the Chameleon bootloader! So I can't boot into Ubuntu. Any ideas? I'm stumped. I really need my Ubuntu partition to really have a functional laptop.

• 1 month later...
250GB /dev/sda

|

|

-OS 64GB /dev/sda1 HFS+

|

|

|

|

|

|

|- 114 GB DATA /dev/sda7

I installed GRUB on my Ubuntu filesystem as a secondary bootloader. I boot into Chameleon and then, in theory, I would boot into GRUB and then boot into Ubuntu. The only problem is, my Ubuntu partition doesn't show up on the Chameleon bootloader! So I can't boot into Ubuntu. Any ideas? I'm stumped. I really need my Ubuntu partition to really have a functional laptop.

I'm having the exact same problem, os-x and windows shows up in the chameleon but ubuntu dose not show up :-(

please post back if you found a solution.

250GB /dev/sda

|

|

-OS 64GB /dev/sda1 HFS+

|

|

|

|

|

|

|- 114 GB DATA /dev/sda7

You must install GRUB on /dev/sda5 and chameleon recognize it.

Giorgio

Chameleon wont boot from primary partitions.

Anyway, you got something mixed up with your partition setup here:

- extended partitions are containers holding logical partitions (you cant install a bootloader to an extended partition),

- why would you make sda2 extended? better use sda4

I would redo the partition layout, and put the linux filesystem (or a seperate /boot) on a primary partition (grub boots logical partitions fine). But you could still shrink OSX a bit and create a small (2 MB) primary partition for grub (sda3/4). Install grub there, and it will be visible in Chameleon.

• 10 months later...

Ok, just to idiot proof this (because I had to re-interpret what what previously written for myself): What you want to do is:

1) Open the disk utility and find the hard drive with your linux partition.

2) Click on the large partition that does not overlap with any others (in this example, mine is the 158 GB ext 4 patririon)

3) Open terminal and type "sudo grub-install /dev/XXXX --force" (where XXXX is the "Device" found in disk utility - mine is "/dev/sdc1") You have to "--force" this because (to my limited understanding) Ubuntu doesn't want to install on this partition.

4) terminal asks for password (type this in ---- duh)

5) Reboot and Chameleon will recognize "Linux" with a nice picture of Tux

post-547629-1291854965_thumb.png