unlocker209-unofficial.zip 2.0.9 (Unofficial)

About This File

This version of VMware Unlocker is modified to support VMware Workstation 14. It has not undergone extensive testing, but from the little I have used it, it appears to be working properly on VMware Workstation 14.

The original VMware Unlocker is available here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/339-unlocker/

The changes that were made to the code to enable this patcher to work are available here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303311-workstation-1112-player-712-fusion-78-and-esxi-6-mac-os-x-unlocker-2/?p=2503855. Other than this change, only the install scripts and the patcher exe for Windows was modified.

What's New in Version 2.0.9 (Unofficial)

Released

• Based off of the original VMWare unlocker (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/339-unlocker/)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Well at least the entry for creating a new macOS VM from ISO is there. I'm in the middle of DLing a Yosemite 10.10.3 app to create a new ISO & test it. I've been creating new Mac VMs in 12.5.7 in my W8.1 Pro to launch in my W10 LTSB & Pro, with VMWare WKSTN 14 installed, multiboots as a workaround. Thanks David-B for taking up donk's development. I wish you the best!

Unlocker_2.09_unofficial.png

Clean installing Yosemite 10.10 AOK with no changes in virtualHW.version = "14", efi firmware, Guild boot. Kewl not using mbr as I did in the earlier dayz, All in Workstation 14 with the unlocker 2.09.

Installing High Sierra takes way to long for this test with the file format change, so will getta round TUIT later.

• Like 2

Well at least the entry for creating a new macOS VM from ISO is there. I'm in the middle of DLing a Yosemite 10.10.3 app to create a new ISO & test it. I've been creating new Mac VMs in 12.5.7 in my W8.1 Pro to launch in my W10 LTSB & Pro, with VMWare WKSTN 14 installed, multiboots as a workaround. Thanks David-B for taking up donk's development. I wish you the best!

Unlocker_2.09_unofficial.png

Clean installing Yosemite 10.10 AOK with no changes in virtualHW.version = "14", efi firmware, Guild boot. Kewl not using mbr as I did in the earlier dayz, All in Workstation 14 with the unlocker 2.09.

Installing High Sierra takes way to long for this test with the file format change, so will getta round TUIT later.

I'm glad it's working for you. As for taking over Donk's project, that remains to be seen. While I did assemble this distribution, I didn't really do anything beyond that. I wasn't even the one who made the changes. I just took the changes and simplified their use. I have contacted Donk about taking over the project, but I am not sure if I am knowledgeable enough to do so.

• Like 1

thanks for mod

high sierra clean install with nvme/efi/hw14/apfs

finally vmware supports 3200x1800 res

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

Another thing I had to do was to set the first "echo" output in "lnx-install.sh" explicit as string:
echo VMware Unlocker 2.0.9 (Unofficial Repack) to echo "VMware Unlocker 2.0.9 (Unofficial Repack)"

Otherwise I had problems with the brackets.

• Like 2

VMware 14. I have an error "Dictionary problem" when I use a physical disk :/ With virtual vmdk disk macOS works fantastic  :)

a2c0888849e24.png

Well unlocker works but VMs installed on previous versions are not working and are stuck in a boot loop. I currently don't have time to check details, but I guess that it is SMC related.

VMware 14. I have an error "Dictionary problem" when I use a physical disk :/ With virtual vmdk disk macOS works fantastic  :)

a2c0888849e24.png

Was this an issue with previous unlocker versions as well?

Well unlocker works but VMs installed on previous versions are not working and are stuck in a boot loop. I currently don't have time to check details, but I guess that it is SMC related.

Could you tell me more about your setup? I have not had any problems whatsoever with macOS VMs from previous Workstation versions.

I upgraded from 12 to 14 then tried running 2.0.9 but Apple Mac OS X does not show up for me when creating new vm

This patch should add an option for macOS to the menu. Could you tell me more about your setup? What platform are you using?

@David-B 

hello Installing the unofficial gives me the macOS/OS X option

but installing the one from GitHub does not give me the macOS/OS X option. isnt it strange?

from github:

05/10/17 2.0.9 - New version to support ESXi 6.5, Workstation/Player 14 and Fusion 10

- Removed support for ESXi 6.0
- Added ESXi boot option to disable unlocker (nounlocker)

@David-B 

hello Installing the unofficial gives me the macOS/OS X option

but installing the one from GitHub does not give me the macOS/OS X option. isnt it strange?

from github:

05/10/17 2.0.9 - New version to support ESXi 6.5, Workstation/Player 14 and Fusion 10

- Removed support for ESXi 6.0

- Added ESXi boot option to disable unlocker (nounlocker)

The official release of 2.0.9 is currently being developed. The code for it is available pubilcly, but there's not release of 2.0.9. My guess is that you downloaded the 2.0.8 release, which from what others have said, allows you to use existing macOS VMs, but does not add the option of creating new VMs to the UI. I'd say that for the time being, you should either stick with the unofficial version that I've published, or wait until after the official version is released. Don't use what's on GitHub.

• Like 1

Was this an issue with previous unlocker versions as well?

With unlocker 2.0.8 and VMware 12 physical disk works good. But with VMware 14 I have an error :/

With unlocker 2.0.8 and VMware 12 physical disk works good. But with VMware 14 I have an error :/

What version of macOS are you trying to use? If it is High Sierra, I am wondering if perhaps it is an issue with the HFS+ to APFS switch.

@David-B:
I have installed macOS High Sierra on physical disk with HFS+ File System. And I wanted to try boot macOS from physical disk but I get this error :)

@David-B:

I have installed macOS High Sierra on physical disk with HFS+ File System. And I wanted to try boot macOS from physical disk but I get this error :)

Hmm. In that case, you may want to wait until Donk puts out an official 2.0.9 release. I may be taking the project over from Donk, but before I do, he needs to teach me some stuff.

• Like 1

I had macOS Sierra. It was not working after upgrading to VMWare 14. Unlocker 2.0.9 couldn't fix it.

I saw an executable in the same folder named 14patch.exe. I ran it as administrator.

mac OS Sierra is working fine in my VMWare 14 now.

Can confirm that this works very well with High Sierra (10.13) on Windows 7 host and VMWare 14 Pro.

Thank you David-B!

And by the way, if you are taking over the project, not sure if it's applicable here, but it would be FANTASTIC if we can have more than 128MB video memory to OSX with a Windows host. It's arguably the only thing missing from leading a perfect-ish OSX life ;).

Cheers!

Can confirm that this works very well with High Sierra (10.13) on Windows 7 host and VMWare 14 Pro.

Thank you David-B!

And by the way, if you are taking over the project, not sure if it's applicable here, but it would be FANTASTIC if we can have more than 128MB video memory to OSX with a Windows host. It's arguably the only thing missing from leading a perfect-ish OSX life ;).

Cheers!

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Just so you know, Donk has actually put a stable release that adds support for Workstation 14, and it undoubtedly is much better than this release.

As for me taking over the project, that remains to be seen. Donk has discussed it with me, but there is someone else who has apparently expressed interest in doing so, and as far as I am aware, Donk has not made a decision as to who he would like to have take over.

Regarding the 128MB video memory limit, I am afraid that this limitation is beyond the control of the patcher. In order for a larger memory limit to be supported, VMware will have to implement the appropriate changes.