2 Screenshots

About This File

Disk Utility 13 is back!

Requires SIP Disabled

To run it you need to Allow apps from Anywhere under System Preferences -> Security & Privacy. To enable this options execute in Terminal: sudo spctl --master-disable

Yosemite Disk Utility for macOS Sierra

Note: When you launch this version two icons will appear on the dock. This is normal behavior!

Debug menu is available to list all partitions and mount EFI.

For the nostalgic or the crazy ones ... your favorite version of Disk Utility now works on macOS Sierra.

Upon launching you will need to provide password to run the scripts that make things spin.

Tested on a fresh install of macOS Sierra, on an actual MacBook Pro (separate machine from the one it was modified on)

Verified the following working:

1. Creating an image, restoring an image, converting an image

2. Partitioning a hard drive, erasing hard drive, restoring to hard drive

3. Verifying disk and repairing disk

4. Burning iso to DVD

Please proceed with caution, I would like some feedback from people on errors or bugs that might come up.

Enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

after run v13, the original disk utility (v16) not working

Error: framework unable to communicate with disk management daemon

anyway:

-how can restore v16?

-anybody run both v13 and v16 without any any problem?

Regards

Same for me, 10.12.2  I receive the error "Disk Utility is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash"

I Modified my loader script in Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/loader.sh to the following below. Much safer, and doesn't blow up if Disk Utility crashes.... I also renamed my app to Disk Utility-13, and put it in my /Applications/Utilities folder, so it is easy to tell them apart. :)

Thank you dimosgmx for getting it to work! I recommend the script edits below for an updated version :)

#!/bin/bash
cd -- "$(dirname "$0")"
pwd

# This moves the original framework, if this is the first time running, then links to it. If it does, it links to Sierra's version
if [  ! -f /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra ]; then
    mv /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra
    ln -s /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd
else
    rm /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd  # After Diskutility closes for any reason, we unlink the framework
    ln -s /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd # Link back to original

fi
cp diskmanagementd /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-elcap # Copy El Capitan's to the same place
rm /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd # Removes the link
ln -s /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-elcap /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd # Links to El Capitan's version
./DiskUtility # Runs Diskutility
rm /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd  # After Diskutility closes for any reason, we unlink the framework
ln -s /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd # Link back to original

• Like 2

Same for me, 10.12.2  I receive the error "Disk Utility is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash"

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility-13.app fixes the problem, also thanks for jaminmc's script, it's super useful :)

I found that if you go to Show Package Contents on Disk Utility.app, then navigate to Contents > MacOS, you can delete "Disk Utility" and rename "DiskUtility" to "Disk Utility" to remove the second icon on the dock.

• Like 1

if this has been answered in the thread, i apologize (i've read and re-read it a few times trying to fix myself).

i'm on 10.12.5. 

i get the osascripts message, [password], [enter], closes.

tried

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility-13.app

to no avail.

can anyone help?

Same here. Also, can't have two programs with the same name in the Utilities folder... how are you guys doing this? 

Thank you!!

BTW you can use this command to remove the original Disk Utility:

sudo rm -r -f /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app 

Not ideal but I ran this command and it opened properly, icon in dock, app up and running

sudo /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility-13.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskUtility 

will it run in Apps??  I can't get it to open... just 2 icons in dock... and asks for password.. using modified script..on HS 10.13.1

It doesn't work on High Sierra (10.13.1), probably because of SIP, I get this error when trying to open it:

2017-11-20 17:35:54.514 Disk Utility[34283:5409859] MyToolPath: /Users/macuser/Desktop/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility2017-11-20 17:35:54.514 Disk Utility[34283:5409859] url with last: (null)
2017-11-20 17:35:54.514 Disk Utility[34283:5409859] thePath: /Users/macuser/Desktop/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS
2017-11-20 17:35:54.514 Disk Utility[34283:5409859] Daemon Path: /Users/macuser/Desktop/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/diskmanagementd
2017-11-20 17:35:54.514 Disk Utility[34283:5409859] duPath: /Users/macuser/Desktop/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskUtility
/Users/macuser/Desktop/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/execute.scpt: execution error: mv: rename /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd to /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra: Operation not permitted (1)

Using DiskUtility instead (no space), opens the app (only one icon in dock), but I am not sure if it will work correctly...

2017-11-20 17:37:27.702 DiskUtility[34289:5412075] Failed to connect (cancelRecreate) outlet from (DUWindowController) to (NSButton): missing setter or instance variable2017-11-20 17:37:27.702 DiskUtility[34289:5412075] Failed to connect (repairSheetInfo) outlet from (DUWindowController) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable
2017-11-20 17:37:27.872 DiskUtility[34289:5412075] 10.4-style NSNumberFormatter method called on a 10.0-style formatter, which doesn't work. Break on _NSNumberFormatter_Log_New_Methods_On_Old_Formatters to debug. This message will only be logged once.

Edit: OP says it needs SIP disabled. For those with problems:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

I'm successfully using it in Mac OS 10.13.3 (High Sierra) Thanks for this! I had the OSA script error as well. My solution was to run the binary from source. In other words, simply control-click on the patched disk utility app, and select "Show package contents"  Navigate to MacOS and run the "disk utility" binary. only caveat is the terminal window will open alongside.

-Digitol-

• Like 1

this stopped working completely in 10.13.4 betas. doesn't show a single disk/partition/image. such a bummer. any ideas anyone?

ah, well, paragon has a nice substitute

Edited by rotoyouoio

On 3/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, rotoyouoio said:

this stopped working completely in 10.13.4 betas. doesn't show a single disk/partition/image. such a bummer. any ideas anyone?

ah, well, paragon has a nice substitute

Is there a working version for 10.13.4+?

Paragon substitute: do you mean Paragon Hard Disk Manager?