2 Screenshots

About This File

Disk Utility 13 is back!

Requires SIP Disabled

To run it you need to Allow apps from Anywhere under System Preferences -> Security & Privacy. To enable this options execute in Terminal: sudo spctl --master-disable

Yosemite Disk Utility for macOS Sierra

Note: When you launch this version two icons will appear on the dock. This is normal behavior!

Debug menu is available to list all partitions and mount EFI.

For the nostalgic or the crazy ones ... your favorite version of Disk Utility now works on macOS Sierra.

Upon launching you will need to provide password to run the scripts that make things spin.

Tested on a fresh install of macOS Sierra, on an actual MacBook Pro (separate machine from the one it was modified on)

Verified the following working:

1. Creating an image, restoring an image, converting an image

2. Partitioning a hard drive, erasing hard drive, restoring to hard drive

3. Verifying disk and repairing disk

4. Burning iso to DVD

Please proceed with caution, I would like some feedback from people on errors or bugs that might come up.

Enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Probably System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Allow apps download from 

It needs to be Anywhere but it's not there by default. To be able to select it open up Terminal and execute: sudo spctl --master-disable

yeah is working now I don't know what happened the first time maybe the system got confused. I like the new disk utility but still lack one big option and that is to create a free space disk "unallocated unformatted" and as a big bonus we can access the APFS which is hidden in Sierra disk utility , thanks 

Hello ! Thanks for the share. It says : osascript like to make changes. Enter your password to give permission ?

I put my pass but nothing

any idea ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hello ! Thanks for the share. It says : osascript like to make changes. Enter your password to give permission ?

I put my pass but nothing

any idea ? 

The only thing that will do that is if you don't have SIP disabled. If the osascript is executing then it must be that it can't execute the sudo command because of SIP. Are you running this on a real Mac?

Also rebooting the computer and trying again might help.

After starting, DU 13 menu and buttons as similar Yosemite default style: blue colour scheme and opacity...

How to change it to graphite scheme and disable menu opacity?

Also, I have big graphics issue, when try to use Lightschot Screenshot for DU 13 screening.

After starting, DU 13 menu and buttons as similar Yosemite default style: blue colour scheme and opacity...

How to change it to graphite scheme and disable menu opacity?

Also, I have big graphics issue, when try to use Lightschot Screenshot for DU 13 screening.

I am sorry but I don't understand what the problem is. Could you perhaps rephrase it?

I get the error message "Framework unable to communicate with the Disk Management daemon" if I try to do anything...

I am sorry but I don't understand what the problem is. Could you perhaps rephrase it?

Sorry for my english. Well, please see attach:

DU13_01.png

DU13_02.png

@dimosgmx

Could you explain how the magic is done ? Are there any systems files replaced ? I think this could be responsible for my encrypted HDs being unable to unlock in Sierra after installing/running the patched DiskUtility. I panicked, so I booted to ElCapitan (thankfully I kept a backup) and decrypted them there.

@dimosgmx

Could you explain how the magic is done ? Are there any systems files replaced ? I think this could be responsible for my encrypted HDs being unable to unlock in Sierra after installing/running the patched DiskUtility. I panicked, so I booted to ElCapitan (thankfully I kept a backup) and decrypted them there.

The only system file modified(temporarily) is /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd. After you enter the password at the osascript prompt, a script gets executed. The script renames diskmanagementd to diskmanagementd-sierra, copies the El Capitan diskmanagementd to /usr/libexec and executes Disk Utility. When the program exits, the script deletes diskmanagentd (the El Capitan version) and renames diskmanagementd-sierra to diskmanagementd. Thats the only modification to system files. This is done to allow both Disk Utilities to co-exist and work. Note that you can't operate both at the same time. If you want to see the script browse the contents and check the macOS folder.

I was/am working on a different version that will be working different way if successful. It still needs a small modification to /usr/libexec but it shouldn't be affecting Sierra at all.

I guess under Sierra you can't access encrypted HDDs while this Disk Utility is running because of the modified diskmanagementd. But closing the application reverts any changes made and everything should be back to normal.

Thanks.

@dimosgmx

I don't think it is very safe as implemented right now, since there doesn't seem to be any version checking. E.g. if the program or the computer crashes and you try to run Disk Utility 13 again, the backed up /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra gets overwritten with the current (now ElCapitan) version, which is probably what happened in my case. Better have Pacifist handy just in case and make a backup of the Sierra diskmanagementd yourself somewhere (mind the ownership/permissions too).

@dimosgmx

I don't think it is very safe as implemented right now, since there doesn't seem to be any version checking. E.g. if the program or the computer crashes and you try to run Disk Utility 13 again, the backed up /usr/libexec/diskmanagementd-sierra gets overwritten with the current (now ElCapitan) version, which is probably what happened in my case. Better have Pacifist handy just in case and make a backup of the Sierra diskmanagementd yourself somewhere (mind the ownership/permissions too).

Yes this happened to me and I started working for a way to repair this automatically. Didn't get a chance to complete it since I am recovering from the flu but this is exactly what happened to me. Hackintosh crashed and couldn't execute either of Disk Utilities.

I was thinking of implementing it like this:

1. Check if diskmanagementd is Sierra or El Capitan version. Check if more that one files is named diskmanagementd*.

2. Keep a backup of the Sierra diskmanagementd on the contents of the Disk Utility.app

3. Run a GUI before launching Disk Utility with the options to restore everything to default or run Disk Utility, so in the event that it breaks you can use the option to repair.

Any opinions? Not sure how to implement version checking without keeping a database of md5 for all current and future binaries.

It is not necessary to disable security to open any "unapproved" app. Simply control-click and choose "Open". Then click "Open" again. This leaves the security setting as it should be, and thus more secure for protecting from "self-installing" downloads / malware.

I installed correctly however I get this error

Framework unable to communicate with the Disk Management daemon

Yep, having this problem too. Any time I go to partition something, I get that error.