Dell D620 with iPC 10.5.6 install - notes for all.

Patrick Woo

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have just setup my Dell D620 to hmmmm perfection (except ethernet) and here is some notes for other D620 users who are looking into installing OSX86 from the iPC image currently available all over the torrent scene. I searched here and I have seen a version for an older version OSX forced to single core operation so here is my plug. This is done with least amount of terminal hacking so I think this would be of great help for others with minimal knowledge of the mac terminologies. Also tools and apps are left out so you can do what you wanna do to your likings. I find out these settings after many many trials and errors I looked everywhere for help bricked it a few times and all.... so your help on anything I missed is absolutely appreciated. :)

CAUTION this maybe a long read

Let's collect some parts:

a Dell D620 laptop with these:

2GB DDR2 ram (custom added from 2x512mb)

NEC DVD+-R media drive

Nvidia Quadro 110M

no BT device

Dell 1394 Wireless device

Broadcom 10/100 Ethernet device

iPC OSX86 10.5.6 PPF5 patched or FINAL

Dell Post Installer 1.30

OSXTools

Universal Installer

So installing the OSX86 iPC with any way you like it dual booted. Or install the Chameleon booter from the DVD.

Use default Kernel

These are drivers additions in "Custom..." menu that will get you going in no time :

Motherboard -> Intel ICHx support

Graphics -> NVkush 256mb

Patches and Fixes -> PS2 Keyboard fix (comes with the mouse fix, must install this to use onboard kb and trackpad)

Patches and Fixes -> DSDT fix (normal version)

Patches and Fixes -> Seatbelt 5.5

set it up just like that. Restart normally.

Once into OSX your mouse is going to lag like {censored}, but with any luck your display should be up and running as 7300Go. Most of your display quality should be there . Be very very patient with that jumpy mouse and locate your Dell Post Installer 1.30 and select these:

Sound -> Sigmatel 9200

Network -> Dell Wireless 1395

Trackpad scrolling (if you have it) -> Dell D630

Others -> DualCoreKernels 9.2 -> 9.5 This cures the lagged-ness of your lappy.

Others -> Safe Updates

Install all that, and then restart.

Open OSX86Tools

enable Quartz

fix all permissions

and restart again.

Open Universal Installer

select fix network card EFI (Time Machine Repair)

Restart. Getting tedious...

You should have a perfectly fine running mac at this point. I believe this is as quick as OSX86 installs go.

Now I'm going to look at the following issues:

1. Sleep forever.

2. Ethernet card

3. Secondary graphic output detection.

Will report if something new comes up. Watch for updates.

Hi

I can get Ethernet working on mine.

I have a D620 but with the Intel GMA950 Chip. I suffer from mouse artifacts when in apps like Photoshop or MS Word etc.

I also get a version of Deep Sleep, you have to turn the laptop of then reboot and it will "wake kernel" back to desk top.

Anyone else have the "Artifacts" issue?

Cheers.

Hi

I have a D620 but with the Intel GMA950 Chip. I suffer from mouse artifacts when in apps like Photoshop or MS Word etc.

I also get a version of Deep Sleep, you have to turn the laptop of then reboot and it will "wake kernel" back to desk top.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Cheers.

How did you get your Ethernet working? What driver did you use?

Thanks Dispnt, I'll give this a go.

Update: I have installed this driver from "iPC OSX86 10.5.6 PPF5 FINAL" disk but the device is not showing up in Network under System Preferences. The LED is lit on the back on the laptop, therefore there is physical connections made but the driver is not working. Any help work be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed your instructinos and got it installed on my Dell D620, but am having 2 major problems:

1) The speakers\microphone aren't working

2) The ethernet still isn't working

Can anyone help me out with either of these problems? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I have tried everything listed here for my Dell 620 and i still cant get the following working:

- Internal keyboard/mouse (external usb works fine)

- Broadcom 5752 ethernet

- Intel Pro Wireless 3945

I also get the following errors on after boot that basically says the following kexts cant be used:

- Disabler.kext

- ACPIBattery.kext

- GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext

- ApplePS2Controller.kext

I have tried a lot of troubleshooting techniques listed on the forums, but it seems a large majority are to outdated and dont seem to apply to the 10.5.6 release.

I really wish osx had some sort of device manager to make it easier to troubleshoot. Right now i see absolutely no indication that it even sees the hardware. I do see the needed kext files (I think), but they are within other kext packages if that makes any sense. One being with the IO80211 one and the other being in IONetworkingFamily or something like that.

If anyone could point me in the general direction to get this issues resolved, i would sincerely appreciate it.

I have tried everything listed here for my Dell 620 and i still cant get the following working:

- Internal keyboard/mouse (external usb works fine)

- Broadcom 5752 ethernet

- Intel Pro Wireless 3945

I also get the following errors on after boot that basically says the following kexts cant be used:

- Disabler.kext

- ACPIBattery.kext

- ApplePS2Controller.kext

I have tried a lot of troubleshooting techniques listed on the forums, but it seems a large majority are to outdated and dont seem to apply to the 10.5.6 release.

I really wish osx had some sort of device manager to make it easier to troubleshoot. Right now i see absolutely no indication that it even sees the hardware. I do see the needed kext files (I think), but they are within other kext packages if that makes any sense. One being with the IO80211 one and the other being in IONetworkingFamily or something like that.

If anyone could point me in the general direction to get this issues resolved, i would sincerely appreciate it.

Ok, so i got rid of the the following errors:

- Disabler.kext

- ACPIBattery.kext

Found out that the issue was with the ownership and perms not being right. I guess i assumed incorrectly that the disk utility would correct those when doing the repair permissions tools. Anyway, i fixed them by running the chown and chmod command on them. Then running kextload, such as: kextload Disabler.kext (from within the Extensions directory of course).

Still have the issue with ethernet and the ApplePS2Controller still wont load. Seems to be an issue about it not being authentic? Will do some more googling and troubleshooting and update this thread with my findings.

Well, I felt I made to many hackish changes, so reinstalled from scratch. Followed the install instructions again. Manually fixed the ApplePS2Controller.kext permissions and now im farther than i have been so far. The network card is at least recongized now, but it does seem recognize that its plugged in. Says its unplugged. =/

As far as i can tell, it still doesnt see the wireless interface.

Well, i figured out part of my problem. My wireless card is actually an intel 3945. I probably paid extra for that upgrade. I do see that the iwi3945.kext is showing in my system profiler, but its still not working or showing up under any network settings.

EDIT: {censored}, just did some digging on the 3945 and it looks like im screwed for wireless support. That pretty much might just end my possible use of this laptop for osx =(

Hi!

First of all, for those, who can't get internal LAN card working – use the kext from my signature. Have patched it long ago and it's 100% working for our Dells. :P

For sound issues – can share customized by me kexts. Works almost everything: headphones, int speakes, mute, int mic, line-in...

For PCMCIA issues – use Chunnan's kext. Working exellent with my Linksys WiFi.

nVidia graphics – used EFI string. Dual monitor working good, but some issues occur... Not vital for me.

Trackpad with tapping – perfectly working with latest VoodooPS2controller (but don't install trackpad support itself, otherwise you'll get a kernel panic with TSC kernel).

Sorry for my english.

:D

Hi!

First of all, for those, who can't get internal LAN card working – use the kext from my signature. Have patched it long ago and it's 100% working for our Dells. ;)

For sound issues – can share customized by me kexts. Works almost everything: headphones, int speakes, mute, int mic, line-in...

nVidia graphics – used EFI string. Dual monitor working good, but some issues occur... Not vital for me.

Trackpad with tapping – perfectly working with latest VoodooPS2controller (but don't install trackpad support itself, otherwise you'll get a kernel panic with TSC kernel).

Sorry for my english.

;)

I will try out the Chunnan kext. Thanks for the tip. As far as lan, your kext worked perfectly, thanks!

I also found that they are selling the Intel 1395 mini pci cards on ebay for like $13 after shipping, so i ordered one of those.

How can i solve hte issue with my laptop falling asleep and not being able to wake it back up? It seems the pc will wake back up (i can here sounds), but the screen wont. Maybe its not even falling asleep and its a blank screen saver that wont turn off?

I will try out the Chunnan kext. Thanks for the tip. As far as lan, your kext worked perfectly, thanks!

I also found that they are selling the Intel 1395 mini pci cards on ebay for like $13 after shipping, so i ordered one of those.

How can i solve hte issue with my laptop falling asleep and not being able to wake it back up? It seems the pc will wake back up (i can here sounds), but the screen wont. Maybe its not even falling asleep and its a blank screen saver that wont turn off?

I did the BIOS password trick and that worked out great for waking up from sleep. I set the "Internal HD Password" in the BIOS. Everything is working for me running 9.5 Kernel. I am now working on update to 9.6 Kernel.

This is, actually, not a laptop sleep problem. Screen won't wake up.

Quick tip for this situation": just press "Fn+Esc". This puts your laptop back to sleep, and when it wakes up – voila – all's OK.

At least for me – it's working perfectly.

Additionally – put a slider "sleep display" to never.

Hi!

First of all, for those, who can't get internal LAN card working – use the kext from my signature. Have patched it long ago and it's 100% working for our Dells. :thumbsdown_anim:

Sorry for my english.

;)

Hello,

I have also successfully installed iPC 10.5.6 on my Dell D620. However, I the audio doesn't work. Could you share your kext with me and offer instructions on how to use it? Thanks.

SPECS

Intel chipset

Intel GMA Video

Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-MAJOR Audio

Intel core duo 1.83 ghz

Hi!

First of all, for those, who can't get internal LAN card working – use the kext from my signature. Have patched it long ago and it's 100% working for our Dells. :happymac:

Sorry for my english.

:D

Sorry but I'm still a noob at this. What did you use to patch the LAN kexts? I have everything up and running except my LAN driver. Thanks!

I found a working kext for ethernet, works perfectly no need to change any thing. Attached.

can some body send me a working kext for sound, my mute is not working...

The sound kext that comes with the IPC installer and i think even the Dell Post installer work just fine with the sigmatel 9200.

The sound kext that comes with the IPC installer and i think even the Dell Post installer work just fine with the sigmatel 9200.

looks like I messed something then :-( ... because it did not work I had to go via AppleHDApatcher

tried version 1.4 of dell Post installer now it work :wacko:-_- looks like need to use both the versions 1.3 and 1.4

panch

Hello,

I have also successfully installed iPC 10.5.6 on my Dell D620. However, I the audio doesn't work. Could you share your kext with me and offer instructions on how to use it? Thanks.

SPECS

Intel chipset

Intel GMA Video

Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-MAJOR Audio

Intel core duo 1.83 ghz

Kexts attached.

Instructions – as usual: use kext-helper to install. Remove other injectors before.

Dell_D620_Sound.zip

Also, some of you might find useful the following file: NVS_110M_QE.plist.zip

Use OSX86Tools to make an EFI string from it and attach as kernel_flags -> device properties.

Sorry but I'm still a noob at this. What did you use to patch the LAN kexts? I have everything up and running except my LAN driver. Thanks!

If You have D620 – than You don't need to patch anything at all. Just use the kext in my signature.

Otherwise – use any available HEX editor.

I found a working kext for ethernet, works perfectly no need to change any thing. Attached.

can some body send me a working kext for sound, my mute is not working...

Very interesting – where did You get that?

;)