1. InsanelyMac Lounge

1. Front Page News and Rumors

The sharpest news, reviews, and commentary around. Only interesting stuff - we promise.

Tell us what's happening. If the community likes your story, it'll be featured on our news blog!

Your place to tell us what you think of our forum. Also, don't miss new forum announcements.

1. New Releases and Updates

Latest news and information on the Hackintosh scene. For Apple macOS updates to new OSx86 builds, this is where to look.

Please start here, after you read the InsanelyMac Forum Rules
      You'll be able to post everywhere.

The best homemade macOS drivers and utilities on the planet. If you're a developer, welcome to paradise.

Your starting point to read and learn from others' experiences. If you're in search of an answer, look here first.

So you've already installed macOS. Talk about non-hardware problems, updates, or your own improvements here.

Use this forum for discussions about running macOS on branded desktop PCs.

Use this forum for discussions about running macOS on your notebook PC.

Use this forum for discussions about running macOS on your tablet PC.

Because no hacker's OS should live alone. Discussion on multibooting your OSx86 Hackintosh.

1. Your Language

Willkommen. Recepción. Bienvenue. Benvenuto. Bem-vindo. Welcome.

1. 42.3k

The insanely great computer, the Mac. With Intel flavors and the brand new Apple M1 chips!

Talk about the apps you're using here!

Talk about application development here. Find beta testers. Show off your stuff!

Talk about building apps for iPhone, iPod and the iPad here.

Discuss gaming on a Mac here. No fragging allowed.

How's your peripheral vision?

1. Windows Discussion

Windows 10, 11...12? 🤷‍♂️ Talk about Windows here.

A forum for Linux, Unix, BSD, etc. If it ends with "nix" it's fair game.

Have an opinion about Apple, Intel, or OS X? Share it here.

Tackling the great questions. One debate at a time. Open to the public.

Interesting websites. Browsers. Security. Filesharing. A forum for everything Internet related.

6. Buying Thoughts, Reviews, and Recommendations

Share experiences, advice, great deals and coupons with other Mac users.

On today's episode of "Pimp my Computer..." If you've got something to brag about, do it here!

The place for politics, sports, philosophy, religion, and all the things that probably matter most.

1. 23.4k

If you have something that doesn't fit anywhere else, feel free to pontificate here.

Found something funny? A good joke? A hilarious website? Share it here.

Buy. Sell. Trade. Swap referrals. Do it all here.

• @logyon Be patient with yourself and don't give up too easily.  Look at the example DeviceProperties that you posted here.  Which one is the best match for your system?  While you test, keep the EFI on your SSD unchanged (so that you can reliably boot your hack).  Test each EFI change that you make with a USB thumbdrive and NOT by making changes to your SSD EFI.  Always make sure you have a reliable way to boot macOS if your EFI change fails.
    • I know the definitions... So you're saying that verification of the kernelcache and OS snapshot have little value in hacks?  I'm trying to understand your comment that "SecureBootModel enabled or disabled has no/little importance in Hacks."   EDIT: In other words, even if the only thing that SecureBootModel does for us is make sure we're booting an Apple-signed macOS with an Apple-sealed APFS volume, is that of "little value in hacks?"   EDIT2: @miliuco I am familiar with your well-written post here.  It doesn't seem to me that Acidanthera added SecureBootModel purely for use with real Macs.  I'd love to hear an opinion from someone on the Acidanthera team.
    • @deeveedee Medium Security: Checks that the installed version of macOS is legitimate but not the integrity of the system. Lets you boot any signed version of macOS in which Apple has ever trusted. Dortania schema es also valid for me, difference between medium or full is the verification of the integrity, not just the legitimacy, of the booting system.  
    • Are you saying that when OC's SecureBoot = "medium" is used with hacks, this verification does not happen?   If so, then why does SecureBootModel need to be Disabled on hacks that use OCLP post-install patches?
    • Apple Secure Boot is the technology used in Macs to verify the integrity of the operating system at boot: boot loader > kernel > system volume snapshot. If this check fails, macOS won't boot. Apple Secure Boot only works during the boot process, once macOS is running it no longer performs any function.   Apple defines 3 Secure Boot modes: Full Security: Only allows to boot the installed operating system or another signed version of macOS in which Apple currently trusts. It also checks the integrity of the installed version. If the check fails, the system offers to reinstall macOS or boot from a different disk. Medium Security: Checks that the installed version of macOS is legitimate but not the integrity of the system. Lets you boot any signed version of macOS in which Apple has ever trusted. No Security: other systems or versions different from those mentioned in the secure options are allowed. There are no requirements on the boot operating system. Apple Secure Boot state on Intel-based Macs can be obtained from NVRAM: nvram 94b73556-2197-4702-82a8-3e1337dafbfb:AppleSecureBootPolicy If the variable is found, it can be one of the following: %02 - Full Security Mode %01 - Medium Security Mode %00 - No Security Mode If the variable is not found, Apple Secure Boot is not supported.   SecureBootModel with other value than Disabled gives Medium Security, for Full Security you must use ApECID.   SecureBootModel and ApECID: with SecureBootModel=Disabled>> no security (%00) with SecureBootModel=x86legacy or any of the valid values >> medium security (%01) with SecureBootModel= any of the T2 values plus ApECID non zero >> full security (%02). Notice that since OpenCore 0.7.2:                                                                                                                            x86legacy is designed for machines without T2 chip with Big Sur and Monterey j137 doesn't work on Monterey j137 is the recommended value for macOS 10.13.2 through 10.15.x             systems older than macOS 10.13.2 must set SecureBootModel=Disabled users who don't want to have Apple Secure Boot for any reason can set SecureBootModel=Disabled, even in Big Sur and Monterey. In summary, these are muy opinions: I appreciate the interest that the Opencore developers have had in making our Hacks as similar as possible to a real Mac, including Apple Secure Boot. I know that it is impossible for everything to be exactly the same, but they have managed to give OpenCore features that very often make me forget that I am using a Hack and not a real Mac SecureBootModel=Disabled does not appear to lower the Hack's security below a required level, at least for personal PCs. SecureBootModel only acts at boot time to check the legitimacy/integrity of the booting system. Another thing is in multi-user environments (business...) where a malicious user can access the Hack to boot it from a device with manipulated macOS. I don't agree 100% with @Slice. There are Macs without T2 that have Apple Secure Boot medium security, for example iMac19,1 with macOS 10.14 or newer. But I do agree with him that having SecureBootModel enabled or disabled has no/little importance in Hacks. Without forgetting that Clover lacks this property and many thousands of users have used it and are using it to full satisfaction.  
  • Latest Files

• Top Downloads

1. By Mieze
      113   2
    2. More information about "OC Build Wizard"
      By Mirone
      17   37
    3. By Mieze
      12   0
    1. By Donk
      190,452   139
    2. By ErmaC